3,307 results
All reviews new street station lovely hotel train station city centre black pudding excellent location cooked breakfast german market street noise shopping trip executive room reception staff christmas market central birmingham lovely room a lovely stay enjoyable stay
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We loved our stay at the Burlington with our 3 year old. We had a lovely suite (treated ourselves as we had a discount voucher) overlooking New Street which was furnished and decorated to a high standard, if not particularly full of character.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, from the receptionist on arrival, to waiting staff in the restaurant, to cleaners in the corridors.
The car park as stated elsewhere is a walk away but we were aware of this in advance.
The standard of food in the restaurant was very nice too.

2  Thank sleepmonster
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This hotel has a perfect location for visiting the city of Birmingham. Neila, the reception manager checked us in and I cannot praise her highly enough. We were made feel exceptionally welcome.

The hotel itself is looking a little tired in places but its charm and attentive staff more than compensate for this. The room was clean well appointed and bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and the manager John there was very funny. It was pure theatre!!

Whoever does the recruitment for this hotel deserves a gold medal. Everyone we came into contact with were so friendly and professional.

Would stay here again for sure!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank johnjirl
Reviewed 29 May 2011

After reading a few bad reports i wasnt sure weather to stay here, In can only say that myself and my partner really enjoyed our stay we had a lovely room, clean and spacious, all staff encountered during our visit were all pleasant, specially John from breakfast, he will look after you. for what we paid was money well spent. I cant believe people are still complaining from years ago, and the hotel doesnt not have a gym, this hotel is very central so the only down side to it is car parking, you need to use a local car park costing around £20 a night, so if you can avoid driving, new street station just around the corner. You should also try the breakfast here its very costing, at £15.50 per persn but its the best breakfast you can ever have.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in the Burlington many times.

When the credit crunch hit my employer switched from housing us in a great 5* to The Burlington (which we had previously stopped using years earlier due to one-too-many mice incidents).

I have had a whole variety of experiences here and would never in a million years spend my own money to stay here.

Generally the hotel is untidy, dirty and outright mancy.

Take note - they have some rooms which have been done up so ask for one of those! Unless of course you prefer the old style alternative complete with worn out carpets.

Take caution though. I was lucky enough to get one of these new rooms once - how chuffed I was but it had many issues. This was a stay back in 2009. So I get up and have a shower. I finish and get ready for a day in the office and hear drip drip drip. It continues. It gets louder. It was coming from... the LIGHT FITTING! Water started pouring through the light fitting from the upstairs bathroom.

I threw on some clothes, ran downstairs - the staff seems uninterested. A man came to my room and told me he would see if he could fix it. See if he could fix the problem of the water pouring out of the light fitting. The ceiling proceeds to split. I asked to be moved - this was not offered up, I had to ask. This was some years ago (2009) but shocking

This place is a joke. I got up for breakfast one morning and there was still a half demolished pint in the hall area near breakfast - you would think someone might tidy.

They also used to have motivational team huddles in the reception area. With customers around! HAHAHA! Shocking.

The sad thing is this hotel must of been fabulous in it's prime - great location and great building.

Other tips - dont stay on the floor under the gym - you can hear everything. Yes it has a gym - it's awful!

Room tip: Get there early - ask for a refurbished room
Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Had the one night here when going to a show at the NIA. Booked using Tesco Vouchers which were only valid up the the value of £132 per room. As I wanted to guarantee a king size bed I went for a deluxe room which cost us an extra £30 on top of the vouchers. We were not disappointed though. The bed was HUGE...7' wide!!! Equally the room was huge too. Rather disappointed with the TV stations...only a handful of digital channels and the films on demand I thought were extremely expensive, ie. the latest "Fockers" film cost over £8 to view. However, other than that had no complaints at all. The bathroom was really nice with a bath and separate roomy shower cubicle. Breakfast was included in the price and was not a disappointment. The gentleman who was in charge of the breakfast room was entertainment in his own right! He should be on the TV!! Certainly had everybody smiling!

Date of stay: April 2011