“Great location”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Great location right New Street Station and directly on the pedestrian New Street. Friendly check-in, not my preferred style of hotel (kind of English traditional) but i found it generally good. I had a small single room on the 4th floor with reasonably sized bathroom, safe, tea/coffee making facilities, TV, wardrobe, desk, single bed, aircon. Mostly OK except bed was too soft for me and the view from the room was of the hotel air conditioning units/vents. Room was clean and I think was one of the recently refurbished rooms. Breakfast is served in the first floor Berlioz restaurant and was pretty good with cold buffet as well as cooked to order hot English. Overall not a bad stay at a very well located hotel.

1  Thank Poliwhirl

Reviewed 19 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night mid-week as we were attending a concert at Birmingham Town Hall. We checked in late after the concert and were impressed by the speed and friendliness of the check-in.
The room was enomous and very well appointed, but the bar, although smarlty appointed, lacked atmosphere.
We were surprised that a major city-centre hotel such as this offered no hot food after 10.00pm nor a cooked breakfast before I had to leave to get the train to work.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stamford_Trencherman
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I was given room 310 and walked in and out of it. It was a disgrace and the receptionist agreed. Look at all the dreadful photo's and that gives you a flavour. The next room I was given 234 was recently modernised and a little better however it has been very much done up on the cheap and the bathroom radiator was already hanging off the wall. The overall cleanliness was inadequate.

On arrival i was asked for a card to swipe. On check out a paid using another debit card. the overall cost of the stay was £480. When i arrived home the following day I discovered that not only had I paid the £480 as I thought but another two swipes (£480 and another £480) from the original card had been taken from my bank. I rang immediately but was unable to speak with a general manager. after some time a girl rang back and explained that I had in fact paid three times and the money would be returned but it may take a few days!!!!!

Overall the hotel has NO charm, offers poor service so I would avoid. I simply cant understand how easily some people seem to be pleased. How can anyone give this place a good review?

2  Thank janeramsay1
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at the Burlington as opposed to our normal business hotel.

Check in was quick and hospitable. My room was so lovely compared to other hotels with a large bath and separate shower, quite a rarity nowadays. The bar service before dinner was excellent and the lovely lady serving made conversation and seemed to take a real interest in who we were and what we do. Again a real nice change. We had a group dinner booked and my carrot and chilli soup was fanatastic and the hake with a prawn butter sause really tasty and well cooked. The cheese was also a nice selection and wine service was on top form.

We had late night drinks and again the bar service and night porter could not have been more helpful.

A wonderful experience for a buisness city centre hotel.

1  Thank philmanchester
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We loved our stay at the Burlington with our 3 year old. We had a lovely suite (treated ourselves as we had a discount voucher) overlooking New Street which was furnished and decorated to a high standard, if not particularly full of character.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, from the receptionist on arrival, to waiting staff in the restaurant, to cleaners in the corridors.
The car park as stated elsewhere is a walk away but we were aware of this in advance.
The standard of food in the restaurant was very nice too.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank sleepmonster
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This hotel has a perfect location for visiting the city of Birmingham. Neila, the reception manager checked us in and I cannot praise her highly enough. We were made feel exceptionally welcome.

The hotel itself is looking a little tired in places but its charm and attentive staff more than compensate for this. The room was clean well appointed and bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and the manager John there was very funny. It was pure theatre!!

Whoever does the recruitment for this hotel deserves a gold medal. Everyone we came into contact with were so friendly and professional.

Would stay here again for sure!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank johnjirl
Reviewed 29 May 2011

After reading a few bad reports i wasnt sure weather to stay here, In can only say that myself and my partner really enjoyed our stay we had a lovely room, clean and spacious, all staff encountered during our visit were all pleasant, specially John from breakfast, he will look after you. for what we paid was money well spent. I cant believe people are still complaining from years ago, and the hotel doesnt not have a gym, this hotel is very central so the only down side to it is car parking, you need to use a local car park costing around £20 a night, so if you can avoid driving, new street station just around the corner. You should also try the breakfast here its very costing, at £15.50 per persn but its the best breakfast you can ever have.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business