Macdonald Burlington Hotel
US$70
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
3,127 results
All reviewsnew street stationlovely hoteltrain stationcity centreexcellent locationcooked breakfastgerman marketexecutive roomreception staffchristmas marketa lovely staycentral birminghamlovely roomenjoyable stayfull englishbreakfast was excellentbull ring
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I can't fault the location of this hotel and on entry, it certainly has all the grace and grandeur of 4 star until I saw my room (Room 307).
The bedroom and bathroom are both shabby and tired looking. The bedroom furniture dated, the wallpaper and carpet has not been replaced in many years with the carpet lifting at corners in parts of the room and the curtains were not fitted correctly. In the bathroom there are no curtains at all except for what looks like dirty grey coloured nets which are clearly see through and left me feeling vulnerable. There are exposed ugly pipes, the showerhead has mould and mildew growing around it and the grouting within the tiles has left me speechless. A dirty looking shower curtain hangs over the bath and the heating was turned off in the morning with no control over turning it back on again. None of the above would I expect from a 4 star hotel.
To make matters worse, road works are being carried out until after 10pm and starts again at 5am. This includes articulated trucks passing every 30 to 40 seconds, diggers and JCBs in high activity.
Because I was here on a business trip and was paid for by my company, I didn't feel compelled to complain. For certain, if I had paid for this myself, I would have asked to be moved or insisted on a full refund and looked elsewhere for accommodation. I would have awarded my room 2 stars.

Room Tip: When booking, don't be fobbed off with one on the 3rd floor overlooking a buidling site. However, I can't speak for the rest of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JTay47
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Just step out of this hotel and you come out on to the german Christmas Market it's fab,I go to Birmingham to do Xmas shopping every year around November or early december first time in this hotel, very nice hotel all staff very helpful and friendly,breakfast very nice to ,just be careful about the price of the drinks in the restaurant a little steep .we stayed for 2nights had a lovely time hoping to stay there this year.

Room Tip: Stayed in a back room not much of a view but who staying in the front rooms said it was very noise .
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I read the reviews about this hotel being a bit tatty as its old - but I let that pass and booked in. However what a nightmare - the hotel backs onto a massive building site. A tower block that is being ripped apart 24/7. Yes they have a 24 hour building permit. So I arrived in my room to hear a bit of building work - but I thought they must be about to finish. By 10pm I contacted reception to ask what time this work would stop. They told me they would go speak to the builders and stop the work. Note I was on floor 3 and there was a jcb just below the window and a large digger with a large bucket that was continuously digging up rubble and tipping it into a large skip just under my window.
The noise was so loud even my tv on full sound didn't drown it out.
After several calls to reception and their absolute refusal to move me to another room - they finally conceded and moved me at 4.10am ! So I then packed up and moved and got into the other room. Ready to be awoken after 2 hours sleep with my alarm call.
Never again ! The hotel claimed to have 100% occupancy and when I drew to their attention that I found it incredulous that all 150 rooms were full when at 8pm there were only 3 diners in their restaurant, they just said they had no rooms to move me to.
Bizarely they found a room opposite mine at 4.10am.
It wasn't so much the building work that was an issue - it was the fact that they knowingly put customers in the rooms directly facing onto the building work which they know is going on 24/7 and then refuse to move them when they clearly aren't going to get any sleep.
Just simple management and consideration is key here - put your customers in rooms that do NOT overlook the diggers. Simple not ?

Room Tip: Just don't stay here if you want to sleep at night
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CazNorthWestEngland
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We stayed here in early December as we had a trip to Thomasland at Drayton Manor. As we had our 3 kids with us we got 2 huge rooms which were inter connecting. This place is bang in the middle of New street and very close to shopping. There was a wonderful German Christmas Market on the Street outside the hotel. We decided to eat in the Hotel Restaurant which was called the Scottish Steak Club and we were not disappointed. This was the finest Dinner I have had in any Hotel and the service was excellent. Most of us had Steaks and the children had great choices from a junior menu. Our rooms were spotless and breakfast was equally as good as dinner. The General Manager introduced himself at dinner and made himself available to us at checkout asking us did we enjoy our stay and was everything satisfactory. This Hotel was excellent value and we definitely will be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at the Burlington from December 30th 2011 and stayed 2 nights until New Years Day. We found the hotel staff extremely helpful and friendly. We ate in the bistro below the hotel on our first night and in the hotel restaurant on our second night. Both meals were excellent and reasonably priced. Breakfast at the hotel was superb and even on our second morning when there had been a wedding on the previous night there was plently of choice available on the buffet and we were served quickly with our cooked breakfast. Our room was on the 4th floor and we had no complaints at all , the room was large and very comfortable. Finally we travelled to the hotel by train into New Street station which was much more convenient than driving as the hotel is only a short walk from the station.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor which had been refurbished. Although the view from the window was poor we didnt mind because it was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple