“Good Location....everything else average”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a business trip as I was attending a course in birmingham.

I booked one of the single rooms as the double rooms were not available for the duration I was staying. It was adequate and clean if a touch small and the decor is quite old-fashioned.

Personally I do not think it is of 4 star standard as I have stayed in other 4 star hotels in different cities and they were superior.

However this is in a great location in the middle of the city centre. I did not hear much noise however I was in a room facing inwards and not overlooking one of the city street. I switched off the aircon unit in the room as this was the start of march and the room wasnt getting warm however on a warm summer night when the aircon might be needed to cool the room sleeping might be difficult as it is quite noisy when on.

The cooked breakfast was very nice that I had in the morning and a nice touch that you had a extra choice of Black pudding or Fried Bread which I have not usually had a choice of previously.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Here for a course, supposed to be able to study after a 'good night's sleep' but that hasn't happened.

My room is an 'executive single' which in itself is ok, tv didn't work when I arrived but that was quickly put right to the credit of the hotel management.

The bedside light does not work independently from the main light, so if you need the light on, they're all on! Not really sure of the point of the bedside light if that's the case!

Lovely walk in shower, and when I asked for extra tea bags (you only get 2) someone turned up within minutes with fresh milk too.

The aircon units that this room (416) overlooks prevented me from sleeping, as well as the buzzing from the aircon unit in the room.

You can't fault the hotel staff, they're lovely, you also can't fault the location (although there are building works being carried out which seem to go on quite late) it is pretty central to everything.

Just don't stay here expecting a good quiet night of sleep, that won't happen. Unless you can get a room away from the aircon units and away from the building work, in which case, I'm sure you'll have a lovely sleep. I was placed here last minute by work, so I don't feel I can really complain, but I'll certainly be leaving feedback with the hotel directly.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This is the previous Midland Hotel from the days when rail travel was for those that could afford it. It is elegant - going on majestic - refurbished and gleaming. We had Room 420 - a Junior Suite - very reasonable as we booked in advance - it was fabulous - lots of period charm - even an open fire grate/surround - and an 8' bed !!!

The whole hotel was clean. I repeat - the whole hotel was clean. So many are not.

Our room had flat screen TV, trouser press, iron and board, good hair dryer, electronis safe, mini bar and fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, free WiFi or wire. What more do you want.

The staff were terrific. Nothing more to be said. Terrific.

The hotel has the "Scottish Steak Club" restaurant - it is VERY good - and has special offers. Beautiful decor - excellent service - good menu - and clearly a really good chef - all for a very reasonable price. Why go to other 'chain' restaurants and pubs that give you food micro-waved from a plastic bag ? The wine prices here were enough - but that's life - at least they were good wines.

They were doing building works/refurbishments while we were there - but its good that they continue to invest in the property - and the builders didn't make any noise after 5 pm.

The location is dead central. Look at the map.

We are very picky people - but we had a truly great time at this hotel - and we want everyone to know it.

Room Tip: Book in advance. Try a junior Suite. Try the Scottish Steak Club restaurant.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike99Marg
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed overnight at the MacDonald Burlington in Birmingham on 6th March 2012. My original booking elsewhere had been lost so this was last minute. It is right in the centre of town on New Street which is pedestrianised and thus quieter, tucked into the Burlington Arcade. It’s an Edwardian building I believe and retains many of it’s original features whilst being in a good state of repair / modernisation.

From arrival the staff were polite and respectful yet friendly and chatty which is always good. I stayed in a suite which was roomy with high ceilings. The bedroom had a super king size bed and lcd tv and the lounge had comfortable setee and lcs tv along with free wifi. Also available were iron and board, tea and coffee facilities. Bathroom was well presented with good facilities, bath and rainfall shower.

The breakfast was delicious and the dining area with soft music very relaxing. The only thing I could fault as a business traveller was that it took about an hour from being seated to finishing eating. This could be very good if you are on a relaxing break but a little drawn out for the working day!

Overall a very comfortable, relaxing a pleasant stopover. All the staff were friendly and helpful which always has a huge impact. With a good online rate I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Lift small and corridors long with some steps so may be worth mentioning if you have restricted mobi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The hotel is in a great location, close to New Street station (a short walk) and right in the centre of the city shopping district. Welcome was efficient, room (419) was great - spacious with a lovely seating area and Victorian fire place. Bathroom spotless, great facilities including tea tray with biscuits and a bathrobe and slippers. Only blot was the throw on the bed was stained, otherwise room was perfect. Bed was very comfortable. No wifi in room was a bit disappointing.
Dinner was good, wine was expensive and Sauvignon blank was awful.
Breakfast was great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband and I had stayed at this hotel once before, many years ago, and remembered the rooms as being roomy and the location as perfect - so we went ahead and booked it again!
Being in Birmingham for a tradeshow at the NEC, this hotel is conveniently located very close to New Street Station, and thus it's easy access to the NEC and the airport!
It's also right on a pedestrian street, so not much street noise! Close to the Bullring shopping centre too.
Upon check-in, we received our room. Big, clean and with a huge bathroom. But there was a leaking air-con unit right outside the window that gushed water every few minutes... My husband would probably sleep right through something like that, but I knew I wouldn't... A very brief and pleasant conversation with the front desk and we got a new room. Just as big and roomy and clean!
The front desk staff was very nice and helpful throughout our two-night stay. They gave us helpful restaurant reviews and stored our luggage after check-out on our last day!
Now, Birmingham is maybe not my favourite destination in the world... Three days here was for me two days too many...
But if I'm going back to Birmingham again for business, I will stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Thess
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here just for one night whilst going to the theatre. It's location right on New Street is fabulous for shopping, dining, events or just on business. Less than a five minute walk from New St Station, the nearest NCP would be the Pallasades which is again very close.

Rooms are nice and clean although some appear quite dark due to the smallish windows. Bathrooms nicely tiled and good power type showers. There are areas of the hotel such as some of the corridors which looked a bit "bashed" but on the whole no complaints.

Reception staff and Room Service were all very friendly and helpful and always had a smile.

We paid just over £80 for a Saturday night on a room only basis which we thought was excellent value, and would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2012