“Great location for station to NEC and shopping”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #36 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wakefield
“Great location for station to NEC and shopping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

We booked for the Good Food show weekend and got a deal where we had dinner included. This was to the value of £25. There was a mix up with the restaurant booking but we were given a table and were served. The restaurant staff were helpful and friendly, however the service was slow. (If you had an evening planned you'd need to tell them to ensure you were served promptly) it suited us but was slow! The food was very nice but the main course portion was on the small side. The cheese board was fantastic and the lemon cheesecake was also very nice. Breakfast was good on both mornings.
Our friends had a room on the 4th floor which seem to be newer rooms, ours was on the 3rd (313) and was a nicer room and larger bathroom, although the bathroom needed a bit of maintenance. (everything functioned just tired)
We dumped our bags had a quick change and went to eat. On return to the room I found the bathroom and bedroom windows did not close.It took 40 minutes to change rooms as the receptionist said they needed to come to the room to see the windows. I had already advised neither my husband or I could close and lock the windows but they needed to see for themselves! This was a nuisance but we then ended up on the same floor as our friends.
On return from our day at the Good Food show we found our keys didn't work so had to go back to reception to rectify this, in addition we had not had room service.This in itself wasn't a problem, however the receptionist service when calling for fresh milk was hopeless.
On return from our evening out I advised reception we had waited for milk which didn't arrive I was told this would be brought up straight away which it was with more tea bags.Again the staff were pleasant and apologetic.
On the Sunday after breakfast our keys didn't work again so once again we had to have this resolved.
Due to the problems with keys and the first room I rang reception and asked for a late check out. I had to chase three times as they said hey would check and call back within 5 minutes. It took 30 minutes to sort this out.
There was a lot of noise at night time and staff cannot be everywhere asking their guests to be quiet. We usually travel with ear plugs so slept ok.
Everything in the room functioned (our friends had 408 we had 410) and it was pleasant enough.
The hotel is in an excellent location and for that reason I would return but would inspect the windows in the room first or ask for a 4th floor room!

Room Tip: 4th floor - or third floor but check the room first before unpacking!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear monkeyland1

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay with us and for any subsequent inconvenience caused.

At the Macdonald Burlington Hotel we pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of customer service; however, on this occasion we appear to have let ourselves down. Let me assure you this is not the usual standard you can expect from a Macdonald Hotel.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

There was a party of 6 of us who stayed at this hotel for a hen party weekend. I wanted something nice and wanted to visit the Xmas Market. This hotel was perfect. The location could not be better! I stayed in room 421 and it was fabulous!! It had a lovely big bathroom and loads of room in the main area for your suitcases and shopping etc. I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure it's a little gem. Enjoy!!!

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We stayed in this hotel at the end of October 2012. On arrival we were checked in really quickly, we dropped our bags off in the room and went out shopping.

When we arrived back in the hotel the receptionist said that he had been trying to contact us as there was going to be a lot of construction work going on outside our room overnight so they wanted to offer us a new room to avoid any sleepless nights. When we arrived in our new room we were gobsmacked, it was a one bedroom suite with the biggest bed I have EVER seen!
It was such a comfortable room to spend the evening in. We ate in the Steak Grill restaurant and the steak was cooked to perfection and the waiting staff were very attentive.

I would return to this hotel just for the hotel and waiting staff, they were attentive and did their utmost to ensure that we had the best stay we could.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Morecambe, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Stayed for a long weekend recently to see the Christmas Market. Overbooked and tried to move us on arrival! Best thing about this hotel is it's central position. Comfortable but 'corporate' feel to bedroom. Service poor, breakfast mediocre and prices of other food and drink in bars extortionate. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear DavidStern

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

I stayed here as the client I was working for was holding their meeting in this hotel the next day so didn't check any reviews or even think about staying anywhere else.

I had pre-booked and paid in advance on two non refundable double rooms however when we arrived at reception for check in at about 19:30, the guy on reception asked if we would be willing to share a twin room. Erm...."no, not at all" was the reply from me, at which point he got embarrassed and indicated that the hotel was overbooked and he was simply following instructions to ask from his manager.

Anyway, we got our separate room keys and I was given a twin room and my business partner had a double. Even though I had booked these rooms at the same time and paid exactly the same price (£135 each) and specifically ordered doubles, we had two very different rooms, his was certainly more spacious and pleasant looking than mine.

So then. The room itself. Creaking floorboards, non level flooring with furniture that was subsequently leaning away from the wall, wires trailing all over the wall from telephone points, wires bodged up with tape, a rotten wooden bath panel, light bulbs that required renewing, a stained fabric chair, scratched and chipped tables, full tea/coffee set minus a kettle anywhere in the room, the noise of an extractor fan outside going off at random times, the stunning view of extraction tunnels and filthy air conditioning units right outside the window and all topped off with a smell of damp throughout the room.

Absolutely incredible to think that a chain thinks that offering accommodation such as this is in any way acceptable. It was like being in a boarding house or DSS hostel with a landlord who's only interest was in profit maximisation.

Whilst my business partner had a better room, he was going to take a shower the following morning, but then decided against it when as soon as he turned on the shower, an overpowering smell of the drains started to come up.........and let me tell you, it was the first that that I could smell when I entered his room.

The dining room for breakfast was very nice, although the continental buffet selection was looking depleted and tired when we arrived (8:30am) and it is in a completely separate room from the main dining area (due to capacity issues).

On the positive side, all of the staff that we encountered were very pleasant, really wanted to help and gave the impression of caring. With this in mind, I can only assume that there is a management issue at this hotel with a focus on margins. Having their hotel overbooked is not my problem and based upon the two rooms and structural issues (drainage/damp) I encountered as well as the fact that my room needed a complete refurbishment, investment does not appear to be a priority.

Appalling for the price I paid. It was a business trip and I needed a bed for the night, however if I had booked this as a leisure trip The Burlington would have received far more direct feedback from me than a Tripadvisor review.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else.....it'll likely be cheaper and better
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Julesbusiness
Dear Julesbusiness

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

We pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of product and customer service; however, on this occasion we have let ourselves down. Let me assure you this is not the usual standard you can expect from a Macdonald Hotel.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

Was expecting something special for breakfast. Nice dining room with polite attentive waiters. But 17.50 for a breakfast and you get one egg. Bacon,tomato and mushrooms overcooked. The bhs breakfast across the road for 1.99 may have been a better choice. Come on either lower your prices or improve the quality!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank KevinmcMc
Dear KevinmcMc

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear our breakfast did not meet your expectations; our breakfast offering is normally well received.

We offer a full service breakfast which includes tea, coffee, toast and a freshly cooked breakfast all served to your table; furthermore, a very extensive continental buffet is also included within the price. Discounted breakfast prices are available when booked as part of a bedroom package.

I would be delighted to discuss your experience with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed here overnight last week with a work friend. Ive stayed at this groups hotels before and not found them to be the best, but I thought well ill be fair and be open minded and see.

Checkin was fine, no problems. we had diner in the resturant, the food was fine, but expensive.
Probably why the place was dead, we got a nice table by the window which was nice.
Staff were courteous and polite. the meal had been good and I was going to order a coffee to round of nicely, that is, until I saw they wanted £4.66 for it.
To my mind thats ridiculous and as a point of principle I popped next door and got a coffee for £1.50.
The room was a nice double, a bit small and the bathroom was massive.
clean and comfortable.
The internet in the room was free, now that was a pleasant surprise.
Breakfast was fine, again the resturant was dead, i wondered why until I saw the Price. (I had it included in price) it was over £17. thats way over the top and too boot if you wanted kipper or egg benidict you had to pay £2.50 extra.

Overall, I was actually pleasantly surprised with this hotel, but the "extras" are over the top.
I noticed a sign on the reception charging another £2.50 to pay by credit card.
This is where this chain lets itself down very badly. pay extra for this, that and everything.
If you stay here get a deal with breakfast included and an eve meal all in if you wish,cause once here you will pay through the nose.
Yes, the floorboards do creak a bit in the corridors and in the rooms, but i dont mind, it gives the place character.
Had it not been for all the penny pinching id have marked much higher.

Id stay again, but only if all was included in the price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business