“Hidden Gem!”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 January 2013

i have recently held a birthday celebration and stayed over at this hotel and to say it was fantastic would be an understatement. from all the welcoming and caring staff members to the excellent food it was a night i will remember for the rest of my days and i cant thank them enough.
My room was nothing short of spectacular, clean, spacious and homely.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear pcm7

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us, found the food to be excellent and in particular our staff welcoming and caring. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

After reading a couple of previous reviews I was a little nervous about the hotel. As has been said the entrance to the hotel is impressive and the hotel is well presented with plenty of period features. We got to our room and were pleasantly surprised - clean, lovely high ceilings, great furniture and a big modem bathroom. We visited the bar during our stay which is very over priced but then again most hotel bars are! Would definitely recommend and will be returning next time we visit birmingham.

• Stayed: January 2013
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Meg2158

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found your bedroom and bathroom to you liking.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Staff could not have been more helpfully, especially Richard on reception. Good breakfast and lovely room given to myself and my 2 colleagues. Centrally located. Will be visiting again, great value dont hesitate to try it a nice example of a traditionally styled hotel.

Room Tip: Ask nicely fora better one on quiet days. 5 th floor lovely.

Dear Elliepops3

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

...shame about the first impressions though. I visited here in December last year, during the Frankfurt Xmas markets (which quite pleasantly, were right by the hotel, so that's a plus). I got to the hotel at 2pm, expecting to be able to check in, but unfortunately my room wasn't ready (note, 2pm is the designated time when you can check in) and I was asked to come back after a while. Thankfully, it was ready at 4pm.

Room sizes aren't as large as McDonald Hotel in Manchester (not Townhouse), but it is adequate for one person.
The hotel is within an old building, but don't let that stop you, as it is a nice place to stay, being very close to the station. The Bullring is only 3 minute walk away.

Hotel restaurant isn't anything special, and breakfast is fine.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Adnan83

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am happy to note you found the hotel a nice place to stay, however; may I sincerely apologise that your bedroom was not ready for your arrival at 2pm and for any subsequent inconvenience caused.

During the festive period we do experience a high demand of guests wanting to check-out late and check-in through the early afternoon. On rare occasions this may cause a delay waiting for Housekeeping to clean rooms; however, our reception team is happy to assist with the storage of luggage and we do serve refreshments in the coffee lounge next to reception and also in our bar on the 1sr floor.

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Burlington Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

A very impressive entrance to the hotel and when we checked in we were upgraded. We went to our room and once we looked round both asked ourselves what the original room would have been like if this was the upgrade. The room although very clean can only be described as shabby, there were several water stains on the ceiling, a crack in the tiles on the bathroom floor, the flush on the toilet needed encouragement to work, the bedroom door had about an inch gap at the bottom which let in very cold air and the TV had a mind of its own. However, we did have a good night's sleep and the room was comfortable.
The only meal we had in the restaurant was breakfast and it was adequate, the restaurant has been tightly packed with tables making it difficult for both waiting staff and customers to move with any ease or comfort. On our first 2 mornings we were greeted by Donna who is the Restaurant Supervisor, and another waitress who are both more that capable of doing their jobs and were very efficient. The breakfast service was busy and they coped easily however on our final morning for some reason they were joined by both the General Manager and the Catering Manager who evidently did nothing to help but plenty to hinder. We were abandoned in the restaurant doorway whilst the General Manager "faffed" about and then when we were seated abandoned again. They would be better just leaving the breakfast service to people who know what they are doing. My husband and I are both from a catering background and never have I seen staff run in a restaurant!!!
We made our feelings known at Reception when we checked out and we were offered a discount. We will stay in this hotel again as it is so convenient for the City Centre and the staff are excellent.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade your room.

Dear Amanda n

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for you not receiving the same attentive and efficient service on the final morning that you enjoyed on the first two mornings of your stay.

It is so valuable to receive feedback based on a customer’s perspective, especially in regards to a service one may have been part of. On this particular morning and before your arrival to the restaurant, we experienced an unforeseen very high demand for breakfast within a short space of time. Whilst we are very proud to boast that our breakfast team is extremely capable of delivering a well organised and efficient service, on this occasion the team did fall behind. I can fully appreciate service may have seemed somewhat chaotic at the time; however, once the very necessary support was provided, the team did manage to turn the situation around and deliver in a more organised and efficient manner. I assure you our support and assistance was required in order for this turnaround to happen.

I fully take on board that your perception may have seen this situation somewhat differently and I take away from this that more communication to our customers about the situation would have been warranted on this morning.

I would be delighted to discuss your experience with you directly and would welcome any further constructive feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on gm.burlington@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Derek McDonagh

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed here in executive room last week,absolutely first class.Bedroons well maintained and first class for the uk!! and staff efficient and friendly only downside no parking so long walk and restaurant is steak house and no fillet but sirloin was geat.Will definitely stay again

2  Thank nahguav
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Dear nahguav

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be efficient and friendly. I have shared your kind feedback with them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We do serve fillet steak in our restaurant, The Scottish Steak Club, and I apologise for it’s apparent unavailability when you dinned with us; however, I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the sirloin.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the near future and hope you will find the time to join us for dinner again and enjoy one of our fillet steaks.

James

Reviewed 11 January 2013

I have stayed in the Burlington Hotel on quite a number of occasions over the past year. It has an impresive entrance, but nothing compared with some of the rooms. There are some quite considerable differences between them though and I would advise paying the extra bit for one of the better rooms because it is worth it. Very central to Birmingham and very close to Birmingham New Street Station. Extremely friendly staff on each occasion I have stayed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ingazco

Dear jamesclarke 1977

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoy staying with us and in particular find our staff to be very friendly. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

James