“My husband 40th treat”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My husband love birmingham trying to find good hotel is hard to find.
This hotel is in a fantastic location for shops and sightseeing around the city.
Good size rooms, excellent customer service. Good breakfast selection.
Would return to this hotel soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear luibell

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your husband’s birthday treat with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Burlington Hotel

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Fantastic location in the centre of birminghams shopping area. Great hotel, huge room, very comfortable & clean, nice bar area & staff were extremely helpful. Only down side is that some rooms are better than others. We booked 3 rooms & one of them was awful, small & right outside the windows was an air conditioning unit which was very noisy all night, not at all up to the standard of the other rooms. However when this was mentioned to the receptionist an upgrade was made for the second night. All in all would recommend & will be staying again.

• Stayed: January 2013
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear Laura S

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, I am sorry to hear one of your party found the first room they were allocated to be too small and noisy. I am happy to hear our reception team, when contacted, were able to resolve this issue for you during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stopped here for one night to go LG Arena. The room we had was spacious, clean and elegant.
All staff were very attentive and helpful: arrived at 12.00pm and we were able to go straight to room
(Normally restricted to 2.00pm)

Where we had breakfast had all the charm of bygone years, complete with chandeliers! Food was of an excellent quality; and the table we occupied had a brilliant view of a snowy, tree-lined Birmingham street.

We will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lily186284
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear Lily186284

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular our breakfast offering and the atmosphere and view from our restaurant out onto New Street. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

You certainly cannot moan about the location of this hotel if you are coming into Birmingham New street ! great location !!
The hotel staff were all very friendly and eager to help.
The bedroom was huge! to give you an idea of the size of the bed it had 3 rows of pillows and very comfortable and I had a separate lounge area. If I was being 100% the room needed abit of a refurb which I believe the hotel are in the middle of doing.
I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jane01030

Dear jane01030

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be friendly and helpful. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Initially an acceptable room with very pleasant staff, however the room soon began to reveal its faults. The radiator did little to warm the room up, there was a disgusting stain on the carpet with a rug attempting to conceal it and the free Internet was inoperative. A kind member of staff gave up on the Internet and "upgraded" me to a slightly larger room with an empty mini bar but, despite his valiant efforts, the Internet was still inaccessible. All in house food very steeply priced and no car park.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear ChiefCynicist

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, 18th and 19th January for the grand total of £120 for a twin room. In my humble opinion that was a bargain. Plumb in the city centre, on traffic free New Street, this hotel offered everything we needed, and more, for a very relaxing city break.

Room 318 offered a big double and a big single bed, good pillows and the mattresses had toppers on them. It was exceedingly quiet and I got 2 perfect nights sleep. On the second night there was a function on the level below which I couldn't hear. This is an old, solid building. Gowns were provided (what a bonus) and not just left on your bed, the gowns were put on the radiator to warm through. A snazzy and handy pair of slippers were also provided. The bath sheets were huge. A big TV had a full range of channels (including Film4) and not a basic 5 plus some random news channel. There were coffee and tea facilities as expected. Unexpectedly there was an iron and ironing board

It was exceptionally clean throughout and the communal areas appeared well cared for. Front desk was friendly and efficient and when asked for something it was done promptly. Room service menu seemed extensive but also expensive (£6.50 for a cheese sandwich). I wish it had a gym and pool. This hotel is now my number one choice when I go up to visit my friends in Birmingham. Thankyou for an excellent stay.

Room Tip: Room 318 - Iffy view. Twin (double and single). Very quiet. High ceilings with big bathroom. Grea...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Jonathan S

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We booked into the Burlingon for a weekend stay in December 2012 to visit the German Market. This was the second year we visited Birmingham and stayed in the hotel. The manager (Derek) was extremely helpful in arranging our booking even though it was a last minute booking as they were initially fully booked. On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and helpful storing our baggage whilst we went shopping, as we arrived early. The family room was well furnished with two king size beds ideal for our needs (family of four). We had our evening meals in the restaurant, which were good value. Dawn our waitress was very attentive, friendly and even remembered us from the year before. The hotel is in an ideal location with friendly and helpful staff and good food, overall a very good hotel. We will most definitely be booking a weekend at the Burlington Hotel again next year.

Room Tip: In 2011 we stayed in the room advertised within the brochure fantasic bathroom. This year we stayed...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Mark R

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very friendly and helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Dawn, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel later in the year.