“bargin stay”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Booked a single room for a Saturday night out... The room was really clean and spacious!! Excellent value for money booked through late rooms. Really quick and efficient service checking in and out. Perfect location for the centre of Birmingham and close to New St Station.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,073)

Reviewed 18 February 2013

This was our second stay as so impressed with customer service in October 2012? We booked 2 nights,15th February 2013, on Winter Warmer deal. This is how a hotel should be. Individual rooms, which from experience do vary in size. however the customers experience is put first. My husband and I travel quite a bit and the reception staff at the Burlington cannot be matched for their genuine friendliness and happy attitude. It is so refreshing..We were given a bigger room than we booked which was fabulous. It was noisy but this is a city hotel and to be expected. I find ear plugs work well for these situations! Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Tell staff if there is a problem. They cannot rectify if do not know!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2013

MacDonald Burlington hotel advertise its luxurious 'Executive' rooms much like Mcdonald's advertises it large Big Mac Burgers, deceitfully and disappointing. On arrival we were met by the kind reception staff and other hotel staff members who were always smiling and willing to offer assistance. Our room was located on the third floor. As we arrived at our room door a female was storming down the hallway in anger about her hotel room. The room was very clean but was located on the side of the building with the hotels generators. Throughout the night there were loud noises from what I assumer were pipes in the walls. Me and my partner found the bed too soft.

The location of the hotel is ideal to somebody staying in Birmingham as it is only a minute's walk from New Street station. The location, staff and cleanliness in my opinion justifies the price of the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 316. Cramped and a view of generators.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We attended an athletics meeting at the NIA and decided to stay overnight in Birmingham. The Burlington fit the bill perfectly on paper - 10 minute walk from the station, 10 minute walk from the hotel to the NIA. It didn't only fit on paper however, the hotel was an experience. When we checked in the reception staff were so kind and friendly that on our way out to the door to go to the event we did an about turn and promptly booked a table for dinner that evening - we had originally intended to call in a restaurant on our way back.
The friendliness and good service was also evident in the bar and restaurant. I have an inner ear balance problem which apart from taking regular medication requires me to have a very low salt diet. As usual when eating out I quizzed the waitress about low salt options - she looked at me in amazement, telling me they made everything fresh and salt would just not be added. I had a wonderful meal, as did my husband. Over the last few months whenever I have been out for a meal, the next morning I have experienced a dizzy, nauseous attack. Not this time, not even a twinge - we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

What more could one want from an hotel?
The location in the heart of the city is perfect - so easy to drop off the shopping before heading out for more retail therapy.
A warm welcome, taking an interest in you as an individual. Immaculate, comfortable room with everything you need.
The bar in the cellar is a real find, fascinating decor which provides intimate corners as well as party space, complete with restaurant. Probably need to book if the evening we were there is anything to go by- busy.
There is a fitness centre too, just didn't have time to 'test'.
Breakfast in lovely first floor room with high windows looking out to the tree lined street below was full of variety & the staff ratio high, complete with real service, linen etc.
DON'T let yourself be guided into the bar area if you are having more than coffee & croissant. Tables too low to comfortably eat with cutlery.
Handy for the railway station too.
Don't go for the view though, overlooking a quad full of air conditioning pipework - hideous & perhaps intrusive to light sleepers on lower floor?

Room Tip: Higher floor if the air con will be an issue. Not sure if front rooms are an advantage, depends on n...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I needed to stay overnight in Birmingham for a meeting the following day. The location of this hotel minutes from New Street Station lots of shops and restaurants literally on the doorstep was very good.
Customer service was brilliant, friendly & helpful reception, room service and restaurant staff - everyone I had contact with.
The room (suite) was FAB - they upgraded me due to a problem with my original room. The main thing was that I had a nice meal and a very good nights sleep. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and will be recommending it to my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2013

If I write another review like this again this year - I'll be amazed!

This has become my most favourite Hotel and for very good reason ... they keep getting it right! The combination of charm, history, location & most of all, friendly customer service makes this a must when staying in the centre of Birmingham.

My compliments and thanks to all the staff for making this visit an absolute pleasure - Well done, we'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Ask the Duty Manager to show you the various options - then decide which room location suits or just...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple