“Wonderful staff, A1 stay”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 March 2013

stayed for one night 1st March for a girly weekend with my daughter, for her 21st Birthday. Absolutely spot on in the centre of the shopping area, so no messing about, 2 minutes on foot from the train station.

lovely olde worlde style hotel. staff just could not do enough for you. first twin room we were given did not appear to be very warm and no hot water (wonderful view). however, to their credit, when we rang down to reception, they sent a young lady up within 2 minutes who confirmed there was a problem with that room and promptly moved us up one floor to room 333. talk about extremes, it was mad hot in that room, but we did not mind because it was so cold outside that it was welcome!! Room 333 was actually even nicer than 233, appeared more updated. the breakfast at Burlington is one of the best we have ever had in terms of varirety. The only thing that we felt let it down was , in the restaurant for our evening meal, we were dressed up, as we thought it befitting for such a nice hotel, however some other guests there obviously didnt feel the same, one even looked like a workman. that let it down, there should be a dress standard in place - at the Travellodge dress as you like, nicer hotels should be taken into consideration.

all in all, would deinately go back again - exceptional weekend. PS go by train from Moore St (only £3.5 return for two) to the Jewellery Quarter - blow your mind away with some of the diamond designs.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms seem more updated.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Amanda s

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for the problems you experienced with the first room you were allocated. I am happy to hear our staff resolved this problem for you and managed to move you to a room more to your liking.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,039)

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed at the Burlington for a well overdue girls weekend - two years overdue - but it was well worth the wait. We arrived earlier than planned, were unable to check in but the receptionist immediately offered to store our luggage for us. She enquired into the nature of our stay with genuine interest and engaged in a lovely conversation before we went off to have lunch.
When we returned to check in, she informed us with a beaming smile that our room had been upgraded. The suite was lovely - tasteful decor, clean and extremely comfortable. We did have an initial issue with one of the televisions, but a couple of staff members came up immediately to try to resolve it and provided us with another TV when they couldn't sort it there and then.
There was building work going on through the night, however we had been advised of this on booking so came prepared with earplugs! The bed was spacious and comfortable and we both slept very well, undisturbed by noise from the building site or late night revelry from the street below.
Breakfast was great; we sampled both the Continental buffet and the Full English. We arrived half an hour before service was due to finish but there was still plenty of everything and at no time did we feel any pressure to leave the restaurant.
Once again at checkout, reception staff enquired if we would like to store any luggage, leaving us free to shop unencumbered.
It was a lovely hotel; nothing was too much trouble for the friendly, helpful staff and we only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Ali W

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I only had the pleasure to stay here for a night while attending an early business meeting, but thought it was a really good hotel. The location could not be better as you are right in the centre with all the shops and restaurants so it is very convenient. My room was lovely (I was lucky and got an upgrade I think) with comfy bed and nice bathrrom. The staff were very pleasant and I had a great night here.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jillydavies

Dear Jillydavies

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Hotel was pleasant but I expected building work on shopping centre over the road to stop at night. Cranes operated right through the night and with ill fitting double glazing sleep was impossible. Avoid external rooms on South and West of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Wyx459

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced as a result of the Birmingham New Street development program.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you we were unaware of any planned over night noisy works. The contractors involved in the development are not allowed to commence such works without first discussing them with the local businesses which may be affected. We work tirelessly with the project management team to ensure our guests are not adversely affected by construction noise. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case and I assure you this has been addressed with Project Manager. .

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your comments to my attention and I do hope my assurances will afford me the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Burlington in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed at the Burlington on a pre booked work training trip. From the moment I arrived I received outstanding customer service. The room was clean and tidy on my arrival and was cleaned every day. Room service and bar service was excellent and I was made to feel very welcome by all the staff.
Now for the bad. On arrival at a hotel in this day and age one of my first questions is about wi fi costs. I was told it was free. However, I was then informed that wi fi was only available on the ground floor or in the bar on the first floor. I find this very disappointing. Another negative is the strange noises the hotel seems to make through the night. The noises kept me up 2 out of the 4 nights I stayed and the other 2 nights I only slept so well as I was so tired. It's probably fair to state that there is major buildings work going on not far from the hotel currently which may have contributed to the noise through the night. The view wasn't brilliant but this is not something that bothers me so it is not an issue.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jack G
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I booked several roomsfor an event I organised in central Birmingham. The hotel staff were very helpful and got about 30 of us, who arrived at the same time, checked in very quickly and efficiently. The room was very comfortable and spacious. The location is just right for events in the centre of the city. The only thing that let it down was the room service breakfast. You have to tick the items you want on a card which you hang on the bedroom door. I received one egg, a half a tomato, one mushroom, which I requested and - this I didn't request as I am vegetarian - two rashers of bacon. I think the price of the room service breakfast is £17.95 (although it was included in our room rate), so it represents very poor value for money indeed. I also had to pay £3 delivery for it! This could easily be rectified by being more generous with the portions. It was disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I found the experience of this hotel just leaving me thinking "why is this hotel not being run to its full potential?" Firstly there could not have been a bigger contrast in customer service between the two reception staff with the male employee thinking its acceptable customer service to talk over and abruptly to guests, when the phone rang complained to me and my boyfriend about having to answer it. I had to go down to the reception twice and both times he was incredibly rude and left me wondering how he had ever been employed in a customer service role! However the female employee was really helpful and friendly espcially when we had a problem with the first room. The first room had a couple of problems such as the TV not working fully, this was sorted once we had moved, and we had been placed into a room which had extensive building works outside which were to start again at 8am. I know this is not the hotels fault however the last thing you want it to be woken early on one of your only days off to the sound of drills etc. We were moved into a second room which was a much better room... the view was awful but we were not there for the view and it is a city centre hotel. However like I have previously said there is so much potential for this hotel... the carpet had a large stain on which had just ben covered with a rug, the curtain tie was hanging off the wall... to me it is just general small decoration and interior aspects which could be easily rectified and make the hotel such a better experience.

The only other thing we happened to find weird was a woman approaching us in the hall way with a clip board asking if we wished to stop smoking. We kept seeing her walking around the hotel with people asking them questions.

Altogether it was just an average visit but if someone just invested a little more money it'd be such a lovely experience. I think I maybe critical as I have stayed in hotels of the same star value that are much better...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple