“okay for a quick stopover”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #36 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin
“okay for a quick stopover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed here for a night in feb. The room was fine but the corridors could do with freshening up. The reception staff did the absolute basic check in and check out with out a smile or barely looking at us. Is this because we used a hotels.com voucher? Any reason for the snobbery we felt?
Anyways the bathroom had a few long stray black hairs around - of which neither of us have!
We tried to get some extra water for the room after our night out and were told there was none available - ???? who doesn't have some tap water available???
The bath was lovely (after I got rid of long black hairs).
The bed was huge and very comfortable.
Location wise it was perfect for heading out in B'ham.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

Excellent location...easy to travel to, only negative point is lack of parking, but a cheap alternative is nearby. Reasonably priced, good size room, polite and friendly service who make you feel welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

We arrived to what could only be describe as a very impressive entrance nothing like we expected for price paid.From the moment we checked in to the moment we collected our bags ( which were saved for us whilst we shopped till we dropped) after our stay the staff were very helpful and couldnt do enough for us. Lovely clean hotel in a great location It is very close to station ,shops and restaraunts you can see the Bullring from the rear windows. .Dont be put off by the ammount of building work going on around the place it didnt bother us at all. Will be booking in this hotel again great for a shopping weekend or just as suited to business trips .Graet all round Thank You.

West Sussex, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I've written before in these hallowed web-pages about how much Mrs Cheapbutdemanding and I like the Burlington. I expect a link will appear next to this text, taking you to my original, more detailed, review if you are glutton for the punishment of trawling through my subjective scribblings.

Things at the Burlington are pretty much as we left them in April last year (see the link), although the area around the hotel is undergoing some fairly major redevelopment. Extensive (much needed) renovation of the Palisades shopping mall means that the closest car park, located in said shopping centre, is currently closed. Hotel guests do receive a discounted rate at the Town Hall car park, located about 200m away. Two hundred metres doesn't sound far, does it? Reassess that notion after you have done several shuttle runs backwards and forwards along Navigation Street to the hotel, loading up your car with a year’s worth of dog treats that your significantly better other has spent two days picking up at Crufts. Please also add in the fact that the Town Hall car park has no lifts.

The other thing that should be remembered about the building work is that it is very loud indeed. Burly chaps in orange jackets and hard hats are using lots of very noisy power tools for most of the day and this might be an issue if you are in one of the rooms at the back of the hotel. We favour the front of the hotel, looking out on the prettier end of New Street, and the higher floors afford some isolation from the noise of this busy thoroughfare. There is building work on New Street as well at the moment as brickwork is being pulled up and re-laid, but this is much less in your face than the Tonka Toy and Kango Hammer extravaganza that is going on at the back.

The hotel itself is still a centre of tranquillity in all this chaos. The members of staff are friendly and proactive in being helpful. Our friend John has moved from dispensing Brummie wisdom over breakfast to doing so in the coffee lounge, but that was the only noticeable adjustment. I won’t pretend that everything was perfect – a couple of minor issues resulting in less than 100% satisfaction did arise, but nothing that would spoil a weekend away. Besides, the general manager made the mistake of providing me with his email address when he contacted me following my completion of the comments card in our room last year, so I now use his inbox instead of the comments cards.

Emailing the manager at the Burlington with my list of minor niggles following this visit I observed that Mrs C and I do love the hotel and wouldn't stay anywhere else when we visit Birmingham. I suggested that it’s a bit like family – you love your family and because of this you tolerate, and even forgive, their inadequacies. You don’t stop having them around to dinner just because your auntie silently farts at the dining table in the hope that the dog will get blamed...

Thank you for your attention. That is all. Please carry on.

Room Tip: For the love of God don't get a room at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Friend and I have just stayed one night here on DBB basis, never having visited Birmingham before. The hotel was easy to find and a short walk from New St station. Perfect location on main street and direct access to all shops, eateries, etc. Reception staff helpful, gave information etc. and we were able to leave our bags in secure storage until our room was ready. Dinner was good (sharing platter of smoked fish highly recommended!) and waitress very helpful with choice of wines. Our executive room on 2nd floor had a dreadful outlook onto huge heating/air conditioning ducts but they were not noisy. Unfortunately, the room was extremely hot and we did not discover until early next morning that there is a central heating thermostat beside the door. If only this had been noted in the hotel information book we would probably have had a good night's sleep! Bathroom average; rather cramped for an executive room. Cleanliness generally OK but mirror dusty. Good choice at breakfast and service fine. On checking out was surprised no proper enquiries as to our satisfaction. and no questionnaires in room. On returning in the afternoon to claim our bags from storage there was a problem getting the door unlocked which caused some waiting around; fortunately we were not in a hurry. Would we use the hotel again? Yes.

Room Tip: Quite a lot of internal steps in hotel. Not much space in Executive rooms due to amount of unneces...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear ajc555

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay overall and in particular found our staff to be helpful and enjoyed your meal in our restaurant; however, may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with some aspects of your experience. Please be assured that your comments will be the subject of our weekly departmental management meeting to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to bring such constructive comments to my attention.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

I'm in two minds about this place. It has a great location, 5 mins from New Street Station. The lady on reception was very welcoming, though in a rather learnt, corporate way. I listened to her giving virtually the same verbatim welcome to the people ahead of me at check-in. But helpful and pleasant, nonetheless. She directed me to the lift - it seems there's only one - and I waited for ages and then thought I might as well take the stairs to my room on the second floor.

The room was clean and tidy, no smaller than most single rooms in the UK. It was warm, and the single bed was comfortable (I like a firm mattress, and it was certainly that!). The floorboards, however, creaked loudly, making me hope that there wasn't a light sleeper in the room below me. The rather dirty window looked out onto air-conditioning units which looked ominously noisy - I worried that i wasn't going to have a good night's sleep.

However, there was very little noise during the night and I slept well until neighbours started getting up at around 7a.m. The usual hotel plumbing noises, I suppose. Shower was excellent, as were the toiletries. Tea and coffee provided, with efficient kettle.

Checkout was fine, but no questions as to my satisfaction with my stay, just a comment that there was nothing more to pay on my bill. I expect more concern from a four star hotel, especially given the far better experience from any Premier Inn or similar.

So all in all, this hotel was fine given the rate I paid for a single room (£65), but I'd recommend several others in Birmingham at a similar price.

Dear musoruss

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay overall; however, may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with some aspects of your experience. Please be assured that your comments will be the subject of our weekly departmental management meeting to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

We attended a breakfast function here today, for a large group, the food was excellent, good service, and a nice atmosphere. Once the car park re-opens, we will stay here again. Thank you Macdonalds! A nice hotel.

Dear stevecentlond

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed the breakfast event we held with the Irish Post.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.