“Avoid”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed 2 nights...only and will never ever stay again. If you are a business person it is a disaster.
The first room which I got looked like a broom cupboard-tiny. Everything is old fashioned and run down.
Got a bigger room but the décor etc is truly terrible-old and badly maintained, there is no wi fi in the room only in the reception. Internet is provided through the cable. Everysingle time I walked out from the room the key needed to be reprogrammed. I tried to get something from the reception and getting someone to answer the phone verges on miracle.....there is no car park on site, neither car access to the hotel...

This hotel is terrible hotel if you are a business person and I am truly astonished that is has 4 star ratings in tripadviser. .

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Dear Lujarus

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

As you can see from our ranking and reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

We are currently in the process of refurbishing our bedrooms and the vast majority of rooms have already been completed. Free broadband connection is available in all of our bedrooms via ether net cable and free WiFi will be available in all rooms by the end of the year.

With regards to our parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the Albany Holloway NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. There is 24 hour motor vehicle access to the rear of the hotel on Stephenson Street allowing guests to drop luggage prior to parking there car; please accept my apologies that this appears not to have been communicated to you.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel is positioned perfectly for anyone getting the train into Birmingham. Excellent service and lovely rooms. Would definitely stay again. Breakfast was lovely, good portions and quality too. Room walls quite thin, the only thing letting it down.

• Stayed February 2013
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Krbabl88

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location for shopping and access to New Street Rail Station. We were greeted at reception by a lovely lady and found the staff at the rest of the stay equally good especially in restaurant and housekeeping . The breakfast we had was perfect and the best black pudding I've ever tasted .
Our room was large typical of a listed hotel. Loved the place.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear CBIYORK

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very pleasant. I have shared your kind feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in......so much so I feel duty bound to warn others not to go. I have never had to ask to move rooms before and I gave up all hope by room 3. Room 1 freezing with bed stains, room 2 plug hole blocked and shower tray flooded in seconds.....room 3 clean but freezing. The executive single rooms are tiny and the only good thing about the experience is the laugh it gave my colleagues.

Room Tip: Under no circumstances accept a single executive room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Trulyso

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

last choice of my wedding venue list but so glad I had it there. Fabulous venue with amazing staff who couldn't have been nicer, I never had a single moment when I didn't feel happy and relaxed. The food was amazing, the rooms were very good and they gave me a brilliant deal, so I could afford to pay for everyone who needed to stay. Place has loads of character and the staff seemed really proud to work there. We were in the 'honeymoon suite' I think and it was bigger than my flat... The price for my small wedding was around half my expected budget yet the wedding felt really upmarket..

Room Tip: Higher floors are a little quieter,
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Rowan M

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted hear our staff were able to make you feel so relaxed and happy and helped to make your Wedding Day so perfect. I have shared your kind feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Dublin
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed here for a night in feb. The room was fine but the corridors could do with freshening up. The reception staff did the absolute basic check in and check out with out a smile or barely looking at us. Is this because we used a hotels.com voucher? Any reason for the snobbery we felt?
Anyways the bathroom had a few long stray black hairs around - of which neither of us have!
We tried to get some extra water for the room after our night out and were told there was none available - ???? who doesn't have some tap water available???
The bath was lovely (after I got rid of long black hairs).
The bed was huge and very comfortable.
Location wise it was perfect for heading out in B'ham.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Excellent location...easy to travel to, only negative point is lack of parking, but a cheap alternative is nearby. Reasonably priced, good size room, polite and friendly service who make you feel welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple