Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
3,115 results
All reviewsnew street stationlovely hoteltrain stationcity centreexcellent locationcooked breakfastgerman marketexecutive roomreception staffchristmas marketa lovely staycentral birminghamlovely roomenjoyable stayfull englishbreakfast was excellentbull ring
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Looking at their website I Thought this would be a lovely hotel to stay in as a great treat for my partners birthday. I booked an executive suite and was expecting a fairly good standard. When we arrived the reception staff were pleasant but I had pre-booked and paid so not much for them to do other than give us a key and point us in the right direction of the room.

We got to the room which was ok but really nothing special at all, admittedly my expectations were much higher and if we had booked a cheaper room I dread to think what it would have been like. We spent the evening out so didn't use the room much in the evening but got awoken at around 6am with the loudest noise from the building work on the train station. It was relentless and we just could not sleep. I had no idea when I booked that this was going on and if I did then I would have booked to stay somewhere else.

Breakfast was included with the room which we ate in the very tired and quite dirty restaurant. I honestly didn't feel comfortable touching anything, it felt like it needed a real good clean. The food was pretty average and the waitress lacked simple customer service skills.

I really wouldn't chose to stay here again when visiting Birmingham, the only advantage we could see was the city centre location. I struggle to find any other reason to recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Dear ShuaRio

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Located in the centre of Birmingham, this is a good hotel for the shops and very close to the train station. However, the rooms are old and my room was not very clean- carpet is very badly stained which they have tried to cover with a rug, which is equally awful. I was initially given a room over looking the shops which would have been fine had there not have been extensive road works and so I asked to be moved. The second room given to me, had a generator right next to the window- no view out of the window just a generator which made for quite a dark room. Bathroom is ok, the tap for the bath doesn't work but is quite modern ad clean. Rooms are large for city centre. overall, not impressed, and unfortunately won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear r0sie89

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Have just returned from Staying for one snowy night at The Burlington with my husband. I booked this hotel as we had stayed here before and I know that you can't beat the location for the train station and shopping. On this occasion we were going to a show at The New Alexandra Theatre which is only a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel so yet another reason to book this hotel!!
Had got a great deal booking through expedia,for a classic room but on arrival we were early checking in but the man on the desk kindly upgraded us to a suite which was available for immediate check in. A wonderful room with spacious lounge, a large bathroom with great shower and separate bath.Yes it was overlooking the building work going on at New street station, but to be really honest the noise was minimal the odd beep beeping but hey there are no cars driving by thus no traffic noise. There aren't many cities you can spend the night and not hear constant sirens and horns beeping so to be fair the building noise is nothing compared to the usual city centre hotel noise. (Have you ever stayed in London??) So please don't let other reviews of building work put you off, the staff are friendly, the hotel is beautiful, a little tired but clean, Fantastic location and No traffic noise!!
I can't comment on the food as on this occasion we didn't eat there but on arrival we could have booked breakfast for £10 each which is a fair price I believe.
A good point to remember is if you are shopping and can't carry any more bags this hotel is right there for you to drop them back at your room and then resume hands free!!

Room Tip: Keep your fingers crossed you may be lucky and get upgraded to a suite, very spacious!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear dawnebut

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I really appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed two nights here for work purposes, and being a higher rated hotel, thought it would be especially good. While the staff were very nice and the meals good, the noise from the building work next door was awful.

Yes, the noise did stop at the promised 10pm, but then re-started at 6.20am with what sounded like a metal girder being dropped many times! I tried to report this at the time, but the room phone didn't work! I requested a room change later, and must admit that the helpful staff moved all my stuff to the new room while I was attending a conference at the NEC, but having lost a complete nights sleep, this was the least they could do!

Ideal location for shopping and the NEC but my advice would be wait until the building work has been completed - even with ear plugs, my sleep was disturbed!

Room Tip: If you have booked to stay here, ensure you ask for a room overlooking the pedestrian shopping area to ensure the building noise is minimal.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear africaval

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to hear overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for the noise disturbances you experienced and for any subsequent discomfort caused.

We were unaware of any planned over night noisy works from the New Street Development Program taking place during your stay. The contractors are not allowed to carry out noisy work at such times with out prior consent from the local businesses which may be affected and thus there should not have been any construction work starting so early in the morning. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case and I assure you this has been addressed with the Project Manager.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed 2 nights...only and will never ever stay again. If you are a business person it is a disaster.
The first room which I got looked like a broom cupboard-tiny. Everything is old fashioned and run down.
Got a bigger room but the décor etc is truly terrible-old and badly maintained, there is no wi fi in the room only in the reception. Internet is provided through the cable. Everysingle time I walked out from the room the key needed to be reprogrammed. I tried to get something from the reception and getting someone to answer the phone verges on miracle.....there is no car park on site, neither car access to the hotel...

This hotel is terrible hotel if you are a business person and I am truly astonished that is has 4 star ratings in tripadviser. .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Lujarus

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

As you can see from our ranking and reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

We are currently in the process of refurbishing our bedrooms and the vast majority of rooms have already been completed. Free broadband connection is available in all of our bedrooms via ether net cable and free WiFi will be available in all rooms by the end of the year.

With regards to our parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the Albany Holloway NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. There is 24 hour motor vehicle access to the rear of the hotel on Stephenson Street allowing guests to drop luggage prior to parking there car; please accept my apologies that this appears not to have been communicated to you.