“Fantastic luxurious hotel. Will definitely be staying again”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
coventry
“Fantastic luxurious hotel. Will definitely be staying again”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The customer service was excellent. Felt very welcome and the gentleman on reception was most helpful. Facilities and bedrooms were if an excellent standard. Breakfast is definitely worth the money. Would not hesitate in staying at this property again

• Stayed March 2013
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Lou36coventry

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very helpful and enjoyed our breakfast offering. I have shared your kind feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
orlando
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed at the McDonald Burlington hotel in Birmingham for a short break over the Easter weekend.
On arrival we were greeted by Sarah, the receptionist, who surprised us with a free room upgrade to an executive suite.
What a treat?
Four poster bed with loads of space. A large bathroom with bath and shower.
All the furnishings were in keeping with a high class hotel of yesterd year. Almost as if time has stood still. The illusion only broken by the use of low energy bulbs on the many chandeliers.
There are also modern conveniences such as hair dyer, iron and air conditioning.
Breakfast is the usual buffet with a full mix of fruit and cereals. And a hot plate made on request.
All the staff went out of there way to be helpful, especially Sarah on reception, who checked our favourite restaurant was open and booking taxi. Helpful without being intrusive.
Next to the restaurant is a small bar area that looks really nice and cosy. Great for a small gathering or winding down after a night out.
My wife and I had a great time and pleased to find a real jewell, right in the heart of Birmingham city centre. Many thanks to all.

Room Tip: Our room was to the rear of the hotel and was great.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear johnboybillo

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Sarah, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This hotel looks great from the high street but do not expect to park there. You have to park in an expensive car park and walk 10mins to the hotel with all your luggage.

Hotel looked great from the outside. You'll be disappointed when you get to your room. There was damp in our room, numerous leaks from the state of the ceiling. The bathroom was bigger than our room and to be honest the standard of accommodation for a 4 star hotel was not up to standards. I would say this was the standard of a 2 star hotel.

This hotel needs a lot of TLC and updating.

One thing also annoyed me. My husband and I called the lift. The lift was full of staff, so we had to walk down the stars with our luggage.

This is not standard one expects from a 4 star.

Road works outside kept us awake and yes you guessed it, we woke up to it too.

Breakfast was poor. If you like brown sauce. Then take your own as they do not have any.

Overall one of the worst hotels in the UK I have stayed at. Travel Lodge is much better.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Debbie1403

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

As you can see from our ranking and reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

We are currently in the process of refurbishing our bedrooms and the vast majority of rooms have already been updated.

With regards to our parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the Albany Holloway NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. There is 24 hour motor vehicle access to the rear of the hotel on Stephenson Street allowing guests to drop luggage prior to parking there car; please accept my apologies that this appears not to have been communicated to you.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

ravensthorpe
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Had a short visit to Birmingham for some retail therapy, chose this Hotel for the location, 2 mins from station and right next to the Bull ring. Our first impression of the Hotel was a good one and the staff were all very friendly and polite. Rooms large and spacious, breakfast was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear rickipike10

London
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Spent one night here and was absolutely exhausted. There are major building works (Mace Construction) going on outside the hotel which are supposed to stop at 10.00pm. However, they continued throughout the night. Lots of guests complained and each time the duty manager went out to talk to the builders the work stopped for about 20 minutes and then started up again. This went on ALL night with heavy machinery and noisy building works continuing until 4.30 am when it finally stopped for a couple of hours. It was a nightmare.....or would have been if I could get any sleep. My advice would be to avoid this hotel until the building works have been completed. The works are clearly behind schedule and it seems that the builders are continuing to work through the night.....despite any agreement they have with the Burlington....!

Room Tip: Avoid room 217 as there is a huge machine and all the air-conditioning ducts directly outside the wi...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank africaval
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Dear africaval

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced during your stay with us and for the subsequent discomfort caused.

We were unaware of any planned over night noisy works from the New Street Development Program taking place during your stay. The contractors are not allowed to carry out such works at night time with out prior consent from the local businesses which may be affected and we work tirelessly with the project management team to ensure our guests are not adversely affected by construction noise. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case and I assure you this has been addressed with the Project Manager and a formal complaint has also been lodged at executive level.

Severn Stoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Looking at their website I Thought this would be a lovely hotel to stay in as a great treat for my partners birthday. I booked an executive suite and was expecting a fairly good standard. When we arrived the reception staff were pleasant but I had pre-booked and paid so not much for them to do other than give us a key and point us in the right direction of the room.

We got to the room which was ok but really nothing special at all, admittedly my expectations were much higher and if we had booked a cheaper room I dread to think what it would have been like. We spent the evening out so didn't use the room much in the evening but got awoken at around 6am with the loudest noise from the building work on the train station. It was relentless and we just could not sleep. I had no idea when I booked that this was going on and if I did then I would have booked to stay somewhere else.

Breakfast was included with the room which we ate in the very tired and quite dirty restaurant. I honestly didn't feel comfortable touching anything, it felt like it needed a real good clean. The food was pretty average and the waitress lacked simple customer service skills.

I really wouldn't chose to stay here again when visiting Birmingham, the only advantage we could see was the city centre location. I struggle to find any other reason to recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ShuaRio

Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Located in the centre of Birmingham, this is a good hotel for the shops and very close to the train station. However, the rooms are old and my room was not very clean- carpet is very badly stained which they have tried to cover with a rug, which is equally awful. I was initially given a room over looking the shops which would have been fine had there not have been extensive road works and so I asked to be moved. The second room given to me, had a generator right next to the window- no view out of the window just a generator which made for quite a dark room. Bathroom is ok, the tap for the bath doesn't work but is quite modern ad clean. Rooms are large for city centre. overall, not impressed, and unfortunately won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013