“It did the job but wasn't great”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #38 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“It did the job but wasn't great”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The room was in need of a good lick of paint and the ceiling had a fair amount of water damage or water stains. The room was otherwise OK just a bit small.

The building its self was nice inside and was quite grand.

The breakfast was OK but again not great but it did the job.

I would stay here again but I would ask for a better room.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

A group of friends and I booked three rooms for one night through late room. We saved quite a bit on the daily room rate of £239 and paid only £73 Good value!!
Check in was easy and the staff extremely polite and we were given exact instructions on how to get to our room. My wife and I had a third floor room facing on to New Street which wasn't a problem, The room itself can only be described as small compared to other hotels in the city that we have stayed in and seemed dark due to the small window (this was due to the age of the building), It was traditionally decorated, had a good bathroom with piping hot water and clean towels, only one robe though?? As we were eating out that night with friends we didn't try the restaurant or try breakfast as we were room only.
I cannot find fault with the hotel, staff etc. at all, however I felt there was something missing from it all as it didn't seem to have the atmosphere of other city centre hotels which is fine if that the sort of thing you like.
Parking is in a nearby multi storey about five minutes walk away, station directly opposite, shops on you doorstep and nightlife a short walk away so as I say it has lots of positives. Just not for me I'm afraid.

If you are booking through late rooms do make sure the payment has gone through as on check out we were asked for payment, even though this was a prepayment booking and we had booked a week before, eventually sorted out though the payment was till pending apparently

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I love this hotel, have stayed twice now and always experience friendly staff, lovely decor and fantastic food for breakfast. It is located on new street so close to shopping, stations and an easy walk to Brindley place and that area. Will return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Ainsdale
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed for just one night but we were really impressed at the superb service from the reception staff. We were made so welcome and they couldn't have been more friendly. I shall recommend it to my friends for it's warm atmosphere, friendly and efficient service and superb location for shopping and the railway station. We will definitely stay there on our next visit to Birmingham.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Other than the location of this hotel there is nothing good I can say about it. On my check in I was asked if I'd like a morning paper, never received it on any of the 4 mornings I was there. My room 217 was dirty, stained carpets, bathroom looked like it hasn't been changed since the 80's, chipped paintwork where ever you looked. I'm not sure why this hotel has 4 star rating? Breakfast was a disaster too, poached eggs on toast, soggy bread cold eggs. By the time my coffee arrived each day I was ready to leave for work. My last day when arrived for breakfast at 6.30am I sat there for 10 mins before anyone asked if I'd like tea or coffee. Overall I would avoid this hotel as its dated and the service is virtually none existent.

• Stayed June 2013
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 June 2013

You can't fault this hotel for location - straight across the road from New Street station and right in the heart of the shops.
I was only here for one night to attend a course in a different hotel and didn't spend too much time in the room or the hotel.
Although travelling on my own I had booked an Executive double - well if that room was executive I'm not sure was state the standard rooms are. It was almost as if the bathroom had been refitted but they hadn't bothered doing the rest of the room - the furnishings were quite tatty and I'm not sure what the executive part was. I wasn't expecting a fabulous view on the 3rd floor but overlooked a flat roof which looked like it was being worked on so I had to keep my curtains shut even whilst daylight for privacy.
People have commented that the hotel is looking tired and it definitely is - yes it is an old classical building but it could definitely do with some decorating and maintenance.
At breakfast even though it wasn't busy it took ages for a waitress to come over and take my hot breakfast order.
It was fine for one night but I think the hotel is relying on its location to compensate for its appearance.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We visited the Scottish Steak Club at the Burlington Hotel in Birmingham and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.
We were dealt with promptly and the staff showed us to a table with a pleasant view over New Street. The restaurant wasn't very busy but I would imagine this is due to not many people knowing about its existance due to it being back off of the strret side.
We sampled 3 courses each and obviously had to try the steak. I had Sirloin with my partner having the fillet and they were both cooked and served perfectly. We also had the bread and oil to start and that was a good introduction to our meals with the bread being served warm with enough butter and oil for both of us.
We finished with the trio of Creme Brulee and this has to be the best I've ever tasted. The white chocolate in the bottom set the dish off perfectly.
Overall we had a very pleasant visit and would definitely go again. Looking around at the decor I would also suggest that the hotel is brilliant and this is something we will also look to sample in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple