“Hotel was ok for one night”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Well the hotel was located in a great central location, however the bed was "saggy" and the décor was very 1970's, the noise level what high.

Breakfast was nice but not generous with the portions.

Overall just ok.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam H
gmburlington, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Adam H
I am delighted to receive all feedback and really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. I am just sorry on this occasion you found your stay just ok. I will also be immediately investigating the issue with your bed.

We hopefully will be able to welcome you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the future, once again thank you for the feedback all of which has been taken on board.

With kind regards

Derek McDonagh

Reviewed 17 June 2013

It's old fashioned - ie wood and carpets and so on, not brushed aluminium and glass. But it has character and the service is nice and the rooms comfortable and the breakfast ok.

And it's right in the middle of the city on New Street, 2 min walk from the station.

Would highly recommend and want to stay again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Dear Biochemist_dave
Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. We are very proud of our Hotel and its character which is certainly made up from the building and my Team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel again very soon.

Kindest regards
Derek McDonagh

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The room was in need of a good lick of paint and the ceiling had a fair amount of water damage or water stains. The room was otherwise OK just a bit small.

The building its self was nice inside and was quite grand.

The breakfast was OK but again not great but it did the job.

I would stay here again but I would ask for a better room.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013

A group of friends and I booked three rooms for one night through late room. We saved quite a bit on the daily room rate of £239 and paid only £73 Good value!!
Check in was easy and the staff extremely polite and we were given exact instructions on how to get to our room. My wife and I had a third floor room facing on to New Street which wasn't a problem, The room itself can only be described as small compared to other hotels in the city that we have stayed in and seemed dark due to the small window (this was due to the age of the building), It was traditionally decorated, had a good bathroom with piping hot water and clean towels, only one robe though?? As we were eating out that night with friends we didn't try the restaurant or try breakfast as we were room only.
I cannot find fault with the hotel, staff etc. at all, however I felt there was something missing from it all as it didn't seem to have the atmosphere of other city centre hotels which is fine if that the sort of thing you like.
Parking is in a nearby multi storey about five minutes walk away, station directly opposite, shops on you doorstep and nightlife a short walk away so as I say it has lots of positives. Just not for me I'm afraid.

If you are booking through late rooms do make sure the payment has gone through as on check out we were asked for payment, even though this was a prepayment booking and we had booked a week before, eventually sorted out though the payment was till pending apparently

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I love this hotel, have stayed twice now and always experience friendly staff, lovely decor and fantastic food for breakfast. It is located on new street so close to shopping, stations and an easy walk to Brindley place and that area. Will return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed for just one night but we were really impressed at the superb service from the reception staff. We were made so welcome and they couldn't have been more friendly. I shall recommend it to my friends for it's warm atmosphere, friendly and efficient service and superb location for shopping and the railway station. We will definitely stay there on our next visit to Birmingham.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Other than the location of this hotel there is nothing good I can say about it. On my check in I was asked if I'd like a morning paper, never received it on any of the 4 mornings I was there. My room 217 was dirty, stained carpets, bathroom looked like it hasn't been changed since the 80's, chipped paintwork where ever you looked. I'm not sure why this hotel has 4 star rating? Breakfast was a disaster too, poached eggs on toast, soggy bread cold eggs. By the time my coffee arrived each day I was ready to leave for work. My last day when arrived for breakfast at 6.30am I sat there for 10 mins before anyone asked if I'd like tea or coffee. Overall I would avoid this hotel as its dated and the service is virtually none existent.

• Stayed: June 2013