“Hotel I would return to”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #38 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Hotel I would return to”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel whist attending a conference and I have to say I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and I would certainly stay there again.

My room on the third floor was spotlessly clean with a high standard of furniture and design. Everything was provided and I thoroughly enjoyed the power shower and the lovely dressing gown to relax in.

The reception staff are excellent with a lovely welcome and assisted with any queries very quickly and positively.

The breakfast was also good and I was also happy with the service provided.

The location was good for the town centre access and also for the railway station, I suppose the only thing that could cause some remarks is that there is currently some work taking place in the road outside the hotel and some of my colleagues said it had been quite noisy during the night from the work taking place.I slept through it all in the lovely bed provided.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank careline
gmburlington, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear careline
Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. I will personally pass this onto my Reception and the rest of the Team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel again very soon.

Kindest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It's close to the main train station and airport links and has lots of shops and restaurants on its doorstep. It's very grand looking from the outside and first impressions is that it's modern and elegant but in reality it's traditional decor inside didn't match the facade and could be doing with modernisation. My bathroom was huge with rain shower and amazing stand alone bath. The room was adequate in size but very squeaky floorboards. I ordered room service which took a while for delivery and wasn't that warm on arrival. It also didn't come with any condiments so was a little dry. The room overlooked a pub which got a bit noisy during the night. Average stay and fine for one or two nights.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank coollager
Dear coollager
I am delighted to receive all feedback and really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. I will investigate the creaky floorboards, with our traditional building this does come up from time to time but we have been able to resolve this matter in the past.
My sincere apologies room service was not to our usual promptness and standard, I will personally ensure your feedback is provided to my Team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the near future, once again thank you for the feedback.

With kind regards

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great hotel. Reasonably priced. Great location. Rooms were clean and very spacious. Comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. Helpful & friendly staff. Great location in Birmingham - next to train station and not far from Bullring, etc.

Dear Laura p
Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. I will personally pass this onto the Team.

shropshire, england
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Macdonald Burlington is an old fashioned traditional hotel. Great location. We went to Birmingham for a meal out at The Mailbox and then shopping at The Bullring. The Hotel is in the middle of the two so it was ideal. Good price, £99 for a Saturday night and literally right opposite New Street Station. We drove and parked in the Town Hall Car Park. If you ask at reception, they will swipe your parking card and that gets you a little discount.
The receptionist was lovely and really helpful. Quick check in and check out. Offered to store our bags whilst we went shopping.
The Hotel itself was lovely, clean and the rooms were spacious. When we arrived, there were dirty dishes and empty bottles outside some of the rooms, which didn't look to good. However the room was really clean with complimentary toiletries.Bathroom lovely and spacious with bath and shower. Overall a really nice hotel and the location is what makes it a good choice!
Any questions, message me!

Dear lilp88
Thank you so much for your comments, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. Please remember our ur best deals are always on our website macdonaldhotels.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely old-fahioned hotel, in very good condition. We had a large and comfortable room, an enormous bed, and a very good breakfast. We were astonished by friendliness in Birmingham - this was our first stay, for an event at the Hippodrome - and we shall be back, and shall look forward to staying at the Burlington.

Stayed June 2013
Dear Janet C
I am delighted to read your comments in relation to our Reception Team. We are very proud on how hard they all work to deliver exceptional customer service. I will personally pass on your feedback to them.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Well the hotel was located in a great central location, however the bed was "saggy" and the décor was very 1970's, the noise level what high.

Breakfast was nice but not generous with the portions.

Overall just ok.

1 Thank Adam H
Dear Adam H
I am delighted to receive all feedback and really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. I am just sorry on this occasion you found your stay just ok. I will also be immediately investigating the issue with your bed.

We hopefully will be able to welcome you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the future, once again thank you for the feedback all of which has been taken on board.

With kind regards

Belfast, UK
Reviewed 17 June 2013

It's old fashioned - ie wood and carpets and so on, not brushed aluminium and glass. But it has character and the service is nice and the rooms comfortable and the breakfast ok.

And it's right in the middle of the city on New Street, 2 min walk from the station.

Would highly recommend and want to stay again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dear Biochemist_dave
Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. We are very proud of our Hotel and its character which is certainly made up from the building and my Team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel again very soon.