“Graduation Ball and luxury”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Burlington Macdonald hotel in Birminham. As part of the commitee organising my graduation ball the service we recieved when viewing hotels to host such an important event was excellent. My husband and I were really looking forward to our stay and were not disapointed. My husband is disabled and the booking we made requested a room with good access to the lift and this was cafefully considered and organised by the hotel. Every member of staff from reception to housekeeping ensured that the traditional elegant hotel was represented beautifully with their politeness and courteous manner. When we were booking in a couple booked in before us who were obviously regular customers, they were recognised by the reception staff who welcomed them back which I felt showed the measure of a super hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooma I saw were elegant
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2013

We ate in the steak club restaurant, a party of 6. Having booked a week before, I checked our booking for dinner at 7.30 but they had no record. We waited 40 minutes before our order was taken, surprising as there were only 4 other people eating. Food is mediocre, steaks very average at best and accompanied by warmish wedges of potato and slimy salad. Service was very slow and therefore no time for desserts as we had trains to catch at 10.30 pm. Goodness knows how they cope with a full restaurant. A shame, it was a special occasion and an expensive evening for food that was really not very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Dear Gail R

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service shortfalls you experienced in our restaurant.

I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards and I would be most grateful if you would contact me to discuss your experience with me directly. A further insight into your experience would assist me in ensuring any similar lapses in our usually high standards could not be repeated. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just fantastic hotel staff just out of this world went of they way to help from the start. the reception staff sorry can't remember her name but she sorted out breakfast for us as I was having trouble selecting the option on the e-mail and then the next day at breakfast the member of staff whom has just came back from maternity was so lovely

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Very convenient location, handy for new st and easy walking distance to restaurants etc

Room was very clean and spacious for a twin. Reception staff helpful and friendly.

My only criticism would be the cost of drinks in the bar!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed for one next last week for a work function. Room just for me cost £85 to include breakfast. Arrived a little early and was informed my room on the 5th floor was not ready and would I mind a slightly smaller room on the 3rd floor to be able to check in early? Not a problem for me, thanks, so off I go to the lifts to find my room. Getting out of the lifts on the 3rd floor, I was greeted by two staff having an argument, and the man storming past me huffing and looking very annoyed. Another staff member was shouting down the staircase from the floor above. Not a great first impression I must say.
My room was more than big enough, very clean and nice and cool, despite the hot weather.
So I settled down to get ready for my big night out.
Then I heard the couple next door arrive. Not just their door closing, but every word they said, every sneeze, cough, light switch, plug in, plug out. I actually realised it was a colleague of mine I could hear them that easily through the wall! Trust me, I am no nosy neighbour, I could hear everything, even with the tele on.....imagine my horror when they started having a bit too much fun if you catch my drift. Put it this way, I couldn't look her straight in the eye all night!!!
It wasn't just them, I could hear more staff out in the corridor shouting to each other, and then for most of the night once I'd finished at the party.
Needless to say, when my 'neighbours' started at it again early the next morning, I made a beeline for the exit, and didn't even bother staying for breakfast, I don't think I could stomach it.
Don't think I would recommend or stay with you ever again Burlington. Sorry! Most disappointed I wasted so much money... If you want a quiet night, look elsewhere...

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Happytraveller1789

Dear Happytraveller1789

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

As you can see from our ranking and reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I am very disappointed with my stay with you this weekend, mainly because of your extremely unwelcoming receptionists!
I arrived at the hotel with a friend of mine at around 4pm on 6th July 2013. We went to Birmingham for a weekend break. We had booked two single rooms online for that Saturday night 5 days in advance. For some reason the two bookings were not linked together although they were booked at once using my credit card. When I checked in with my friend, the staff simply asked my name and my home address and routinely asked if I wanted a morning call or newspapers. He then gave me two key cards; I thought they were for two rooms. So we went upstairs before realised that both cards were for the same single room. So we came down and collected the other set of keys. The staff again routinely asked if my friend wanted morning call or newspaper. Throughout the check in, I didn’t hear one word such as welcome! If the IT system is not intelligent enough to link the two bookings together, human common sense can surely make up for it! If the staff had been a little bit friendly and asked if we were both staying at the same single room (which is highly impossible), this inconvenience would have been avoided completely.

When we checked out, similar drama happened again! Although this time, there was an extra issue with the payment. I thought the two rooms were both paid for when I booked them online. But the staff impatiently told me that was just a credit card confirmation not the payment. So I paid, and left the hotel with my friend. None of us were asked if we enjoyed our stay. None of us were given any word such as welcome! I was simply given my receipt and didn’t even hear they say goodbye! I was mortified! I never ever in 10 years living in the UK received such service. I felt something wasn’t right, maybe the check out was not completed yet, so I asked the two receptionists if that was all. They said it was. Again, no goodbye, no welcome again, no nothing!!!

The room and everything else was about average. Nothing stood out. That wasn’t important. We were there just for one night and the location was great that was exactly why I booked it. But after this horrifying experience with your hotel staff, I doubt I would stay with you again nor would I recommend you to any of my friends!

I wasn’t around when other guests checked in or out, so I am not sure if we were the only ones received such horrible services. What I am sure is that we are both Chinese however I really hope this is not a case of racism!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Clare M

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear of the service shortfalls you appear to have experienced with our reception team. As you can see from other reviews on tripadviser, this is in no way reflective of our usual standard of service and I absolutely assure you is not a case of racism.

Following your completion of our own online customer feedback questionnaire, I have already contacted you directly via email, but unfortunately I have not received a response.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further constructive feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We had a booked a room for my husband's birthday/wedding anniversary on Fri 5 July. We know Birmingham well and wanted to be central (which the hotel is). Have to say the gentleman who booked us in on Friday afternoon was great. We were initially unhappy with 2 rooms - the first big but very tired looking, the second much better interior but significantly smaller. He dealt with us really well, upgraded us and helped as with our bags taking us to third room personally to check it was ok. There was no hassle and defensiveness on his part and he seemed keen to make sure we were satisfied with our stay. We're not complainers and although stay in hotels regularly have not felt compelled to change rooms before. Hotel lobby interior/bar all nice and good standard of decor - we just think we got an older tired room at first - admittedly we got a cheap deal via Expedia but we were expecting an executive double to the expected standard of a 3-4 star hotel. Definitely worth paying a bit extra for a better room. Not posted a review on trip advisor before but felt we should credit reception staff's customer service and ability to turn a complaint into a positive. I work with the public too and know that good service sometimes goes unrecognised.

Room Tip: Book on the 5th floor - quieter and rooms seem to be to a better standard
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple