“Nice old building”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham
“Nice old building”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had a twin room above the air conditioning which stopped making a noise after 5 when we was there the fire alarm went of for an hour I don't know if this a regular thing but it effected my sleep ....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I was staying the night before a business presentation and had asked to see the events team with a view to holding an event for my company at this hotel.
First impressions were not great - the receptionist had lost her voice and rather than passing me over to an available colleague she continued without an explanation (it was her colleague who told me that she had lost her voice) it was impossible to make out what I was being told about my stay.
Anyway I got to my room - I have stayed in many hotels for both business and pleasure, ranging from a Premier Inn to the Hilton in New York so I have a grasp of many standards, I was very disappointed at the standard of furnishings in my room, I would class them as adequate. I then checked out my view from the window, see attached photo
There was also a shock when I nearly tripped over on the rug, it flipped up to reveal an horrendous stain.
I was surprised as I had made it clear that I was visiting with a view on holding an event at their hotel and my company could be a new income stream to them.
They did not show me their best and as such will not be bringing my business to them in the future, which is such a great pity.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear heidimwaites

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service shortfalls you experienced during your stay with us.

I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards. As you can see from our ranking and reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

I would be most grateful if you would contact me to discuss your experience with me directly and furthermore, should you be in the Birmingham area, I would be delighted to personally show you round the Hotel. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Yours sincerely
James Bee
Deputy General Manager
North West
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with friends for a city break. The location is great. Just outside the station and handy for shopping and night life.
A very warm welcome from Richard who really went the the extra mile to makes sure we enjoyed our stay.
The rooms are a bit dated, but had all the amenities we needed and were quite spacious.
The hotel is very traditional, which is nice, but in places looks a bit worn and in need of some tlc.
We got a good rate for dinner bed and breakfast and would stay again if this package was on offer.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Bussum, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The hotel is in the middle of the shopping area of the city. Also the train station is nearby.

For a city Centre hotel, the price was ok. The hotel is one of those hotels who don't do a lot wrong, but also is not standing out in anything.

The room had a decent size, but the view from the room was hideous. Aircounits for a complete city were the only thing that you could see (why add windows anyway?). Strangely enough with all those units in place, the airco in the room was not really good. It was one of the hottest days in years, 34 degrees, but the bed was made up to service a horror winter. Apparently housekeeping does not look on the thermometer when making up the room.

Although the airco units weer next to the windows, there was not a lot of noise coming in.

The hotelbar is one of the most boring I have ever encountered anywhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night before having to travel early the next morning. Lovely Hotel inside, right next to the train station and good service. We were upgraded to a suite on checking in which was a lovely treat. Room was tastefully decorated and stylish. Nothing felt cheap even though the hotel was very reasonably priced.
5 minute walk to Mail Box and Broad Street.
If I were to pick a negative it would be that it was a bit noisy but you are in the centre of Birmingham so nothing that we didn't expect.
Really great choice for a Birmingham city centre hotel in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kate198
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked an Executive room (£10 upgrade) on a special offer at this hotel. The room was large & comfortable, 6ft bed, separate shower & bath plus air conditioning (good for this warm spell we are having) For our not so large expenditure we had two nights plus a full breakfast and a cream tea which was more than just a couple of scones with jam & cream.
The staff are universally pleasant and helpful (especially on reception) which is why this was a return visit for us and the location is excellent, a couple of minutes walk from New Street station to the back enterance of the smart Burlington arcade where the hotel entrance is just up the steps! It is also close to the Bullring & the restaurants there and is only about 5 mintues or so walikng to get you to Snow Hill station with the trams & trains - out to the jewellry quarter...

Room Tip: Always go for the upgrade to executive if it's not to expensive.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed on Monday 5th August for one night and really wish it was for longer, the staff on reception both shifts of evening and daytime were first class and I highly recommend it.
The only complaint I had was the balcony was full of cigarette ends and maybe housekeeping could look into that but really its a fab hotel with super friendly staff and I will return very soon

Room Tip: The hotel is opposite New Street Station which is undergoing a facelift with a lot of construction s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo