“Great hotel in the heart of town” 5 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #35 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in the heart of town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Excellent location, fabulous spacious clean and comfortable rooms. The breakfast was delicious, and service second to none.

A stones throw away from Birmingham New Street station and in the heart of the town, meant we could shop until we dropped into our lovely hotel.

Thank you for making our weekend so enjoyable and memorable. Next time in Birmingham we will definitely book a room here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Mary H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted we were able to make your weekend stay with us so enjoyable and memorable. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times and have always had a good experience but this time I was delighted to have been given an early check in, and expected a pleasant stay. However this was spoiled by a generator of some sort outside my bedroom window which ran all night in cycles of about an hour at a time. I had a budget room so I didn't expect luxury, but I did expect to sleep. To be fair, I noticed the noise when I arrived but was watching television, phoning home etc and it didn't bother me too much.

When the noise started up in the night it was a different matter. I was woken . The noise several times and I finally gave up trying to sleep at about 5.30 I went to the front desk in person at 7.00 a.m. to complain in person. The duty manager was sympathetic, but by then there was nothing to be done to put things right. She said I should have contacted the night porter and asked to move rooms in the middle of the night. I say that I wont be staying here again. It's a shame because I liked this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear genval2

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disturbance you experienced during your stay and for the subsequent discomfort caused.

I have discussed your feedback in detail with our Maintenance Manager and I have instructed remedial work to be carried out to ensure this problem could be avoided in future.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is second time we have stayed at Macdonal Burlington Hotel. It's an ideal location for us and we really couldn't fault the service, food and accommodation. We had a lovely spacious room. The bed was so comfortable we would even consider swopping our own for it. It's a grand hotel but I wouldn't consider it pretentious at all. Breakfast was excellent, only trouble is it made us want to linger longer than we should instead of being out shopping.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Janie W

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your second stay with us; however, I am really sorry to hear our excellent breakfast kept you from your shopping.

If you have the opportunity, I would personally recommend a re-visit towards the end of November, or in December for Christmas shopping with the German Market literally right on our doorstep and a must visit before Christmas.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times previously and have always had great experiences.

We stayed here most recently for our wedding anniversary.

The receptionist asked us for the purpose of our stay and he kindly upgraded us to a suite!

Amazing room!

The breakfast was a filling full English and continental and very good quality.

The location is great, literally a hop skip and a jump away from the train station.

Central to all of the main shopping area and a two minute stroll to The Bull Ring....

10 minute stroll to Broad Street.

Always a treat to stay here and we will regularly return

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear ScottandEmily

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you always enjoy your stays with us and in particular I am pleased to note on this occasion one of our receptionists took an interest in your visit and furnished you with a complimentary upgrade to a suite for your wedding anniversary. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your stays further, please do not hesitate to contact me on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

From the minute I walked in the staff were very friendly. The interior design was fabulous. Lovely rooms and not too hot. Very comfortable stay. Great central location very close to Birmingham New Street. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Vicky G

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed our lovely bedrooms and the interior design of our hotel, all of which I am sure contributed to a comfortable nights stay with us. In particular I was pleased to note you found all of our staff very friendly and I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Llangollen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a night at the Burlington on the night before an early flight out.
The standard of the hotel is spot on. Our room was of a high standard and very comfortable.
We arrived by train into New Street Station and the hotel is directly opposite. This was also excellent for access to the airport the following morning. For the £2.60 fare I think the quality of sleep was worth it.
Our evening meal was lovely and the staff very helpful and attentive.
This was our second stay at the Burlington and it wont be the last. It was the perfect way to start our holiday.
Thank you MacDonalds Hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Llanric

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed comfortable nights stay with us, your evening meal and in particular found our staff to be very helpful and attentive. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Following your stay with us, I do hope you enjoyed an amazing holiday!

York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

A great facade, although at present the work over the road at New Street Station causes noise and distraction.
Staff varied, some friendly and some indifferent to your presence.
Foyer/reception area quite small for such a hotel and the layout in terms of using the stairs for conference rooms was confusing at times.
The affiliated car park was a nightmare to find and even after phoning the hotel it wasn't easy to drive there. The hotel could really do to help customers (particularly those from out of town) with more details about getting parked.
Room adequate, a bit soulless and masculine, but very clean and comfortable. Some colleagues had larger and more luxurious rooms, so they got drapes (mine just had a blind)!
Had all that you'd expect of a 4 star hotel, but lacked atmosphere and in places it seemed a little 'tired'.
A reasonable stay, but nothing to write home about!

The food was acceptable on the whole, although it caused amusement when we saw the lunch time 'fish & chips'. ( 2 chips and a bite size chunk of fish, albeit with a smatter of green mushy peas).
The conference rooms are in windowless rooms, the lunch is served via a buffet, with no chairs to sit down at. Had to eat standing up or rejoin the tables in the conference.

Room Tip: If night time work continues at New st station, perhaps requesting a room at the back would be advi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Carole W

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am extremely disappointed to hear some staff may not have been as attentive and friendly as they could have been. As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, this is an area we usually excel in throughout the hotel. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion, this appears not to have been the case for you. I have shared your feedback with the team to highlight the importance of delivering exceptional customer service to all guests at all times.

With regards to our parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the New Street NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. There is also 24 hour motor vehicle access to the rear of the hotel on Stephenson Street allowing guests to drop luggage prior to parking there car. Full details of our parking arrangements and directions are available on our website; however, please accept my apologies our staff appear not to have clearly communicated this to you.

At the Macdonald Burlington we can accommodate a variety of small and large events in 16 flexible and well-equipped suites. With the exception of the Horton suite, all of our suites benefit from plentiful natural day light. The Horton Suite retains natural features, chandelier lighting, has ingenious partitioning allowing for three event spaces, a dedicated bar and kitchen, and its own private entrance. Our meetings @ lunch offering is a buffet consisting of several main dishes, a salad bar and dessert; giving delegates a wide range of choice and ensuring there is something for everyone. The fish and chips you were served during your event do create a talking point, is normally extremely well received and delegates are encouraged to take more than one serving if they wish; I do hope you enjoyed this particular dish and the other dishes you were presented with on the day. We have facilities to provide a sit down lunch in a separate room and are always willing to be flexible with the service style, choice and type of food we offer. The arrangements for lunch would have been agreed prior to the event with the event organiser and I am sorry to hear they appear not to have completely met with your satisfaction on this particular occasion.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.