“Macdonald Burlington Hotel Birmingham”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is an old fashioned hotel in the centre of Birmingham and adjacent to New Street station.
I like it. The place itself may be a little tired now, but it is comfortable, clean and tidy.The staff are more than helpful.
If you want a modern style hotel then do not stay here. If you want old fashioned comfort with a pleasant, friendly and helpful staff then do stay here.
The restaurant lacks atmosphere but the Scottish style food is absolutley first class and well priced. The staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful and the food was served efficiently without rushing you. Breakfast was good with no problems at all.
I thought that everything was well priced and the meeting rooms we had were really good. The sandwiches served at the meetings was also of a high standard. I have stayed here twice now in a month and would willingly stay again anytime and look forward to doing so.
It is located in the centre of Birmingham and ideal for shopping and just visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear bmj46

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, your breakfast, and in particular found all our staff to be very friendly and helpful.

I was also pleased to note you found the food you were presented with, for your evening meal in our restaurant, to be first class. Where many other hotels, hotel chains and restaurants are de-skilling and buying ingredients pre-cooked or prepared from frozen, our chefs work from whole raw ingredients using only the finest and freshest produce. True to our Scottish heritage, the beef we serve comes from fully accredited Scottish Farms and supplied to us by Scotbeef, suppliers to the highest quality retailers in the country.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,075)

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a lovely historic hotel in the centre of Birmingham, just across the road from New Street Station.
Many thanks to Richard who checked us in and upgraded us to a suite for our 1-night stay; this comprised bedroom, bathroom and separate sitting room. Bathroom was very smart with bath and separate shower; possibly recently refurbished as it was immaculate.
We ordered room service as we were tired; it was delivered promptly and the food was tasty.
Good location for shopping and dining and within easy walking distance of attractions. Value for money (I booked direct via Macdonald website) and friendly, welcoming staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sarina G

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed excellent stay with us, our location, food and in particular I am pleased to note on this occasion Richard took an interest in your visit and furnished you with a complimentary upgrade to a suite. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Breakfast.
No haddock (its on the menu)
No Ketchup
Scrambled egg was like rubber,after it was left under the heaters for 15 mins.

Corperate lunch.
Buffet lunch with no seating or tables provided.

Evening meal.
No Rose or any sweet wine at all available.
No custard with the apple crumble. (its on the menu)

The bar ran out of draught lager and there is only one anyway.
So had bottled beer (Sol) No sliced lime for the Sol so the barman put a slice of lemon in it instead.

No glasses available for the fresh orange juice the next morning.

Toiletries were not replaced as used.

These are just a few of the things that were wrong.

Front of house staff were excellent though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Marcgreen11

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was delighted to note you found our Front of House staff excellent; however, may I sincerely apologise for the service shortfalls you appear to have experienced during your stay.

Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards and I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Problems with car park rectified thoroughly by gentleman at reception.
Cant fault hotel. Not cheap but well worth the price.
Location excellent. Decor original and classic. Bacuus bar downstairs has great decor and atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear alexjwb

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for the problems you experienced with our car parking arrangements. I am pleased to note this was rectified by our reception team.

Unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the New Street NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. Full details of our parking arrangements and directions are available on our website.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Always friendly welcome, staff very good in all area's
Hotel is so ideal situated. Good deals to be had. Will stay again .
My sister uses this hotel for her Christmas shopping break ,as I said it is so handy.

Room Tip: Avoid 312 as overlooks station entrance and work is being carried out.So very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear tafftwo55

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us and in particular found our staff very welcoming and good in all areas. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times and always enjoy staying here. Very welcoming, great location - short walk to the museum, close to station and shops. Very comfortable beds, good nights sleep and great breakfast. Grand architecture.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anonymous255

Dear Anonymous255

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed another great stay with us, our location, breakfast, comfortable beds and in particular found our staff very welcoming. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel has seen better days. Our room had a big wet stain on the wall near the ceiling and a rotting bath panel. We had four visits from a member of staff trying to find a leak that was troubling a meeting below us. We were hoping for an afternoon nap as we would be attending a wedding reception later on. We didn't get one.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear David H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

As you can see from our ranking and other reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

The Macdonald Hotel group is committed to investing in and improving its product for the future and at the Macdonald Burlington we do have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place.