“Weekend stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“Weekend stay”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We had an amazing weekend in Birmingham, 12 of us stayed at this hotel. I have to say I couldn't fault it. Perfect location, opposite the train station. Clean, spacious rooms with separate bath, lovely decor, spot-on breakfast. Lovely bar downstairs and amazing price. We'll be back for sure.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Louise B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you and your friends enjoyed an amazing weekend stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Cannock
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We loved the Standard of service, the Oasis of calm off one of Britain's busiest shopping streets. Rooms warm and comfy and food was good, we would certainly come again. A great place to drop once you have shopped!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Alan B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and in particular loved the standard of service you experienced. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here for one night with my husband as we were visiting the NIA in the evening.

We travelled on the train and as such, location wise, this hotel is spot on. It’s literally on the opposite side of the road as you come out of the station. It was raining heavily when we arrived and as such it was good that we didn’t have to drag a case around the streets.

We were early and as such asked if we could leave our luggage. Receptionist was friendly and took the case and gave us a ticket. She said that we could check in from 2 o’clock. We went out to the centre for some lunch and came back at 2.

We approached the desk – along with what seemed like an awful lot of other people – only to be told that it would be quarter past to half past now. We sat in the armchairs in the reception which looked very inviting. However, whilst we were quite aware it’s a business hotel, the reception was just crammed with people shouting loudly on mobile phones or shouting loudly at their laptops where they were Skypeing. Surely if you are there for business then you could do all that in the conference room your meeting was in!

Approached the desk again at half past and they said that the room was ready.

I booked the whole thing, including the show in the evening, as a surprise for my husband and to make it that bit special I booked what the hotel describes as a “Feature Double Room”. The description on the Macdonald site reads:
“A spacious modern design room with a large king size, or four poster bed and TV with music on demand, desk space and internet access. Our feature rooms are individual and incorporate a variety of different features such as an ornate fireplace, or roll top bath”

We opened the bedroom to find a decent size room with a king bed. I looked around to see where the “features” were as I couldn’t see them. Checked in the bathroom to see if it was the bath that was the feature and was presented with a tiny bath with a shower over it. The bath didn’t exactly look very appealing as the overflow had dropped from where it should be and as such there was part overflow/part hole at the end of the bath.

There was no music on demand – just standard Freeview channels.

The gaps around the door were so large that you could practically see underneath. Obviously every single noise from the corridor could be heard plain as day.

I presumed at that stage that we had been given the wrong type of room and therefore rang downstairs to check what the situation was. After 3 attempts at ringing and nobody picking it up in reception, time was moving on and as such we unpacked.

I rang reception again about 10 minutes later and when somebody actually picked up the phone, I queried the “feature double” issue again. She confirmed that indeed it was the type of room – I asked her what the feature was and read out to her the paragraph that was on the website – her answer was the feature of the room was “it’s better than our other rooms”. She asked did I want to change – what could I change to if this room was better than their others?

We had unpacked now and were going to go out and as such stayed where we were.

We walked to Brindley Place for something to eat which is about 15 minutes walk away. From there the NIA is literally about 2 minutes walk around the corner.

When we came back from the show we thought we would have a drink in the bar on the first floor. The room it’s situated in is lovely however, there must have been about 20 lights on and I’m sure low flying aircraft would have been able to see in, it was that bright. Not exactly welcoming.

First time ever we have had to go to the bar to order drinks in a hotel – it’s always been waiter service.

Regardless, we had a drink and as expected nobody bothered either coming over to clear away the glasses or asking if we wanted another and as such we went to bed.

Before we got to the bar we walked into reception and there was nobody around. We waited five minutes expecting somebody to check we were residents - nobody appeared. Not exactly great security.

We went for breakfast the next morning. We were seated in a room that was absolutely freezing which didn’t bode well and didn’t exactly make you want to stay. There is a card on the table that states the “Macdonald Signature Breakfast - £19.50”. I had paid for the room and breakfast up front or else we would have gone out to eat – who on earth wants to be nearly £20 for some breakfast!!!

As I detest breakfast buffets it was nice to see somebody coming over to take our order. I asked for a well done fried egg with bacon, sausage, mushroom and black pudding. My husband asked for bacon, sausage and fried egg.

What arrived was an underdone egg – the white was near enough raw on it and as such just made you want vomit. The black pudding was underdone, the mushrooms consisted of one mushroom and the sausage wasn’t much bigger than a cocktail sausage. I’m not a big eater but that was ridiculous.

My husband was presented with one small sausage, a piece of hard bacon with more fat on it than meat and an under done/raw egg, same as my own.

We asked for mixed toast, it was all white when it arrived. A few stone cold, rock hard, pieces of bread.

Overall a really disappointing stay. The room not as expected, bar not very welcoming, staff who don’t seem to care, breakfast disgusting. Such a shame as the hotel has some very grand areas and underneath all the layers of paint etc. I am sure that there is a beautiful building there.

We would rather pay for a taxi from the rail station next time and book a better hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MICHELLE C
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Michelle C

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay, and in particular the customer service they receive from our staff. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel as a surprise present for my girlfriends birthday. After a lovely stay I mentioned to Vanessa at reception that the window didn't quite close tightly and I had a slightly broken sleep from the noise in the street below. She gave me a £50 discount and offered me an upgraded room on another stay. Great friendly service. Well done.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear john p

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted overall you enjoyed a lovely stay with us; however, please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced in your bedroom. I am pleased to note Vanessa took an interest in your stay and I hope the discount she provided helped to make up for your disappointment.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I visited the hotel with a group of friends and chose Birmingham as a central location for us. The hotel is in a great location, very central and close to the station - so far so good! Reception staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms however are old, tired and very dated. It's an old building which has so much potential to be turned into a great city centre hotel but is let down by the décor, fixtures and fittings.

The bar area is ok but they didn't have any of the drinks I wanted - gin should be a pretty safe bet but no.

The bathroom looked a little newer and I was looking forward to a shower in the morning with the large monsoon shower head - only to find that the water was lukewarm at best! Not a great experience at all.

The receptionist did waive our bar bill (about £20) which was the least that could be done given that when you pay £120 for hotel room you do expect a hot shower at least!

Won't be rushing back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sars34

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

As you can see from our ranking and other reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay and the standard of our bedrooms. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. I can only assume on this occasion you were allocated one of our non-refurbished bedrooms.

With regards to our hot water supply, recently and on one particular morning, we did experience some challenges that were rectified very quickly. I am truly sorry this affected your stay. I am pleased to note; however, that our reception team availed you a discount and do hope this went some way towards making up for your disappointment.

Tyne&Wear
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We had concert tickets for the Arena so booked this city hotel close to rail station. Really did not have high expectations however very very pleasently suprised. Yes great location which is why it was bkd. Reception staff pleasent & very helpfull. Room while not the largest we have stayed in was very quaint and immaculate. Only one thing missing - shaving/make mirror! Did like the fog free square tho -clever!!
And very impressed with the excellent lighting in room -a huge bugbear of mine in other establishments. A dissapointment was at breakfast order taken re hot food ... not explained re buffet-we had to ask. Hot food arrived-my husbands order wrong-taken away-did not re-arrive untill I was nearly finished & with addition of hair in the egg. Mild apologies from waiting staff!! Not the full english he expected.
However reception were horrified ... and dealt very professionaly with our comments.
Yes i would go back excellent location for city & easy acess for NEC/Arena.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear bizzylizzyh

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service and cooked breakfast you were presented with in our restaurant. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Head Chef and Food and beverage Manager to ensure any similar lapses in our usually high standards could not be repeated. They have especially been asked to be associated with my apology.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in October for a weekend break. We could not fault the hotel at all. The staff throughout the hotel were very helpful. We stayed for dinner and breakfast which was served efficiently by very friendly staff. We stayed in room 234 which was very comfortable and had a nice view of the shopping area below. The manager Richard could not have been more helpful in advising us where to go and what to see. Would definitely stay at this hotel again and have recommended it to our friends and family.

Pauline

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear pauline m

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend break with us, the dinning experiences in our restaurant and in particular I was pleased to note you found all of our staff friendly and helpful, especially Richard. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk