“A beautiful hotel in an excellent position!”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #36 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“A beautiful hotel in an excellent position!”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Please ignore the negative reviews!
I booked this hotel as an emergency as another hotel couldn't find our booking.
With 15min of booking on laterooms, driving and parking up (town hall or the mailbox) The helpful girls on reception had sorted us a beautiful room. I did book an executive room, the room was huge, walk in wardrobe, big arm chairs, a huge bathroom with roll top bath and separate shower! The bathroom provided shower get, shampoo and separate conditioner and soap.
The location was fantastic for the Christmas Market, the Bullring and restaurants. We even did more shopping before we checked out as the shops were just out the reception.

Breakfast was excellent, plenty to choose from a larger selection than usual. The room was lovely where you ate.

I would definitely stay here again, it was so nice to stay in a more traditional hotel, instead of the modern sterile hotels I usually opt for!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear JCHALMERS17

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note we were able to assist you in your moment of need and that you enjoyed your stay with us, the traditional features of the hotel, our breakfast and in particular found our reception team helpful. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Chester
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The room was large but very poor, especially given the price. Some of the lights did not work. The bathroom floor was not very clean. Most of the switches by the bed did not seem to do anything. The curtains had burn marks and were partly hanging down. No soap was provided in the bathroom. The bed was tolerably comfortable. Overall, the room was very disappointing.

By contrast, the breakfast was superb. Very nice selection of cold items, interesting bread, fast and friendly service, good coffee, perfectly poached eggs.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear CharloBungle

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the bedroom you were allocated; however, I was pleased to note you thought our breakfast offering was superb. I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards and I have discussed your feedback in detail with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers who have asked especially to be associated with my apology.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to stay in Birmingham City centre and I will endeavour to allocate you one of our refurbished bedrooms. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Booked a Luxurious executive double - which on the website looked light, luxurious and really comfortable. The reality looked like a stage set for a really depressing play. Laughably small bed, only one bedside light, one towel for 2 people, no sign of the promised robes and slippers, one water glass ..... dingy, grubby, noisy room. Tried to complain, fobbed off with an offer of a discount next time we stay and an explanation about the variation of rooms in a Victorian hotel - apparently some rooms are harder to decorate or keep clean than others. Stay somewhere else. Location does not make up for ghastly and expensive room.

Room Tip: stay in a different hotel
2 Thank NRW2013
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear NRW2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I was very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

Following our correspondence, I did look into your booking details and confirmed you were allocated one of our executive double rooms. Being a Victorian Hotel our rooms do vary in size and décor considerably and the picture on our website is a representative of the bedroom type you booked, not the individual room you were allocated. In our correspondence, at no point did I intimate some of our rooms are harder to decorate or keep clean than others and you made no mention of the standard of cleanliness you experienced in your room. I am truly sorry that on this occasion your bedroom did not meet with your expectations; however, I was pleased to note our Reception and Housekeeping teams did quickly rectify the amenity shortfalls you experienced.

I do sincerely hope you will reconsider my offer of a discounted return stay in one of our refurbished bedrooms and allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Burntwood, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

me and my husband stayed here on Saturday night for my 30th and it was brilliant,they made it really special had champagne,balloon and rose petals on the bed. The staff were very polite and had time for you specially Richard the man on reception. i cant wait to stay here again fantastic and the food. top stars from me and the hubby

1 Thank Louise H
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Louise H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you and your husband had a brilliant time staying with us for your 30th Birthday celebrations and that we were able to contribute towards making this a special occassion for you. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, especially Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My 3 friends and I stayed at the Burlington on Saturday night. I have been before and loved it and it was just as nice on this occasion. Couldn't be in a better position, staff are lovely and the rooms great. We were in Room 422 which was pleasant but my friends were in 342 which was even nicer.

Breakfast was amazing - choice of fruit, cereals, juice etc. vast and order basically anything you would like for hot meal - all served in such an elegant room.

Will be back

Room Tip: 342 was lovely and spacious
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Alison B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us, had an amazing breakfast and in particular found our staff to be lovely. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We booked the Burlington due to its central location, and we were coming by train, so it was straight out of New Street station, across the road and in to the hotel.
It's a lovely looking hotel, grand entrance with leather sofas and a winding staircase.
We'd booked an executive double room but on entering I had to check with reception as it was quite small so I thought perhaps we'd been placed in a Classic double, but no, we were in the right room.
Room clearly designed to accommodate a solo business traveller: one armchair, one pair of slippers, one dressing gown.
The room was nice enough, and had both a/c and a radiator, which belted out heat when turned on - lovely.
The shower worked well but the bathroom could perhaps do with a freshen up, and the shower screen was a little grubby, but everything worked.
We didn't have breakfast nor did we sample the bar.
Would we stop again? Probably, as the location is excellent, but the room size was disappointing - we might try the Premier Inn on Temple Street next time as it's only a 2 minute walk away .
Previous visits to Bham have included the Hilton (ex City Inn) and the Hyatt, both which are ideal if visiting NIA or ICC but a 10-15 minute walk away.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear StokiePokie

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the size of your room. Being a Victorian Hotel, our rooms do vary considerably in size and décor; we believe this adds character to our product which is sadly lacking in many of today’s newly built hotels and chains where the bedrooms are often very uniform.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to stay and I will endeavour to allocate you one of our larger bedrooms. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Manchester
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel is ideal city centre location and is a great hotel for those who want to stay somewhere with comfort, character and a little bit luxury. The building itself has a well restored and opulent Victorian feel and the addition of the stone and marble atrium between the main building and the main street creates a spectacular mix of modern and traditional. There was a wedding on at the hotel in the same time we stayed but truthfully we have not noticed as no noise was audible in the main building. The room was warm and comfortable with good quality bedding and bed and bathroom modern with expensive marble surrounds, soft, large towels and bathrobes. The windows were reasonably well insulated for sound, so had a really good night.
Breakfast was good and fast but wasn't the luxurious spread I would have expected for the price, though staff returned a couple of times to ensure they were at hand if more drinks/ toast etc was wanted. The only negative feedback I can provide that it wasn't a very warm day and the heating units in the dining room blew cold and warm air alternatively and whilst we initially settled at one for dinner that was warm, within 10 mins we were freezing. Would have enjoyed the dinner experience better if it wasn't for the fact that we were cold as food was also quite good. Will definitely stay again and can recommend - all staff were very friendly and professional throughout - and did everything to go out of they way - including walking out with us to show the direction to a recommended restaurant.

Dear Girl36

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found all of our staff to be very friendly and professional; however, please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort you experienced in our restaurant. I have discussed your feedback with our Maintenance Manager and I have instructed remedial work to be carried out to ensure this problem could be avoided in future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.