“Very disappointed”

Ranked #36 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Myself and my fiancee stayed here as a very special occasion was planned by myself. When we arrived the hotel looks very nice as you walk through it but then we got to the room and we were both very disappointed. The room was tiny (315) the double bed was only a very small double then we opened the curtains to have a view of a roof of air con units. There wasn't any tea of coffee either or toilet roll. We went to bed and struggled to have any space because the bed was so small. Paid 127 for one nights and feel robbed :(

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glen P
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Glen P

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We chose the hotel due to its location which was good, near to the station and to the places we were visiting. On arrival it was apparent there was not enough staff on reception as several people were waiting to be seen. Then rooms were not ready so people were waiting to get allocated rooms. The room we stayed in was large but very cold...one radiator did not work at all. It was geared up for a single occupant...one dressing gown, towels for one(although 2nd towels were hidden in the wardrobe). There was double glazing but noise could be heard till early hours of the morning, the noise could be heard more in the bathroom.
From the first minute it was clear the staff were doing their best. They remained friendly throughout. At breakfast there were plenty of staff. The food was good and served quickly and was tasty and hot.

Dear traveler_10

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to note you enjoyed some aspects of your with us, our breakfast offering and in particular found all of our staff to be friendly; however, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced. I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards and has been a subject of our weekly departmental management meeting to assist us in improving the service we deliver for the future. The team has asked especially to be associated with my apology.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Please ignore the negative reviews!
I booked this hotel as an emergency as another hotel couldn't find our booking.
With 15min of booking on laterooms, driving and parking up (town hall or the mailbox) The helpful girls on reception had sorted us a beautiful room. I did book an executive room, the room was huge, walk in wardrobe, big arm chairs, a huge bathroom with roll top bath and separate shower! The bathroom provided shower get, shampoo and separate conditioner and soap.
The location was fantastic for the Christmas Market, the Bullring and restaurants. We even did more shopping before we checked out as the shops were just out the reception.

Breakfast was excellent, plenty to choose from a larger selection than usual. The room was lovely where you ate.

I would definitely stay here again, it was so nice to stay in a more traditional hotel, instead of the modern sterile hotels I usually opt for!

Dear JCHALMERS17

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note we were able to assist you in your moment of need and that you enjoyed your stay with us, the traditional features of the hotel, our breakfast and in particular found our reception team helpful. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Chester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

The room was large but very poor, especially given the price. Some of the lights did not work. The bathroom floor was not very clean. Most of the switches by the bed did not seem to do anything. The curtains had burn marks and were partly hanging down. No soap was provided in the bathroom. The bed was tolerably comfortable. Overall, the room was very disappointing.

By contrast, the breakfast was superb. Very nice selection of cold items, interesting bread, fast and friendly service, good coffee, perfectly poached eggs.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear CharloBungle

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the bedroom you were allocated; however, I was pleased to note you thought our breakfast offering was superb. I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards and I have discussed your feedback in detail with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers who have asked especially to be associated with my apology.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to stay in Birmingham City centre and I will endeavour to allocate you one of our refurbished bedrooms. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Booked a Luxurious executive double - which on the website looked light, luxurious and really comfortable. The reality looked like a stage set for a really depressing play. Laughably small bed, only one bedside light, one towel for 2 people, no sign of the promised robes and slippers, one water glass ..... dingy, grubby, noisy room. Tried to complain, fobbed off with an offer of a discount next time we stay and an explanation about the variation of rooms in a Victorian hotel - apparently some rooms are harder to decorate or keep clean than others. Stay somewhere else. Location does not make up for ghastly and expensive room.

Room Tip: stay in a different hotel
2 Thank NRW2013
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear NRW2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I was very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

Following our correspondence, I did look into your booking details and confirmed you were allocated one of our executive double rooms. Being a Victorian Hotel our rooms do vary in size and décor considerably and the picture on our website is a representative of the bedroom type you booked, not the individual room you were allocated. In our correspondence, at no point did I intimate some of our rooms are harder to decorate or keep clean than others and you made no mention of the standard of cleanliness you experienced in your room. I am truly sorry that on this occasion your bedroom did not meet with your expectations; however, I was pleased to note our Reception and Housekeeping teams did quickly rectify the amenity shortfalls you experienced.

I do sincerely hope you will reconsider my offer of a discounted return stay in one of our refurbished bedrooms and allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Burntwood, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

me and my husband stayed here on Saturday night for my 30th and it was brilliant,they made it really special had champagne,balloon and rose petals on the bed. The staff were very polite and had time for you specially Richard the man on reception. i cant wait to stay here again fantastic and the food. top stars from me and the hubby

1 Thank Louise H
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Louise H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you and your husband had a brilliant time staying with us for your 30th Birthday celebrations and that we were able to contribute towards making this a special occassion for you. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, especially Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My 3 friends and I stayed at the Burlington on Saturday night. I have been before and loved it and it was just as nice on this occasion. Couldn't be in a better position, staff are lovely and the rooms great. We were in Room 422 which was pleasant but my friends were in 342 which was even nicer.

Breakfast was amazing - choice of fruit, cereals, juice etc. vast and order basically anything you would like for hot meal - all served in such an elegant room.

Will be back

Room Tip: 342 was lovely and spacious
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Alison B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us, had an amazing breakfast and in particular found our staff to be lovely. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.