“GERMAN MARKET BREAK”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Booked this hotel online for 2 nights with breakfast for both mornings at an additional cost of £17.50 each per person per day !! - what a disappointment. Breakfast was bought out to you already plated. Not the nicest. Black pudding was vile and full of grease and fried bread was foul. we would have been better going out in to a local cafe for a far nicer breakfast..
Staff was friendly and our room was lovley. Very clean and bathroom was superb.
Actual hotel looking a bit tired, needs a bit of TLC.
A bit over priced, but enjoyable. Nice location, right in the middle of the German markets.
Overall nice weekend.

Room Tip: We had a rear room, 317 outlook was air conditioning units and roof tops . Didn't really bother...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Amanda M

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the breakfast you were presented with. We normally receive very positive feedback about our breakfasts. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that morning and I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. They have especially asked to be associated with my apology.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,075)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Four of us arrived at the hotel early on Saturday morning, we were told that they would try to have us in to our rooms early, but when we arrived back we ended up queuing in reception for an age and at 2.30pm we only got one of our rooms, some 30 minutes later than normal check-in. The people on reception were overworked and all over the place. The girl who dealt with us got so confused that she actually ran off to the back office half way through a conversation, as she couldn't cope. Reception called us at 15 minutes later to say our second room was ready and they would drop up the key, but they never arrived. We went down to reception to get the key and made our way to the room. We entered the room to fine someone in the bed. Back down to reception to be told they had given us the wrong room. Next morning we queued for 15 minutes to get a table in the breakfast room. The breakfast room was actually a very pleasant room once we got in there and breakfast was very nice. The rooms and bathrooms were pleasant and the hotel location was great. Reception and toilets downstairs were terrible, outdated and unclean. With a little bit of money on new carpets and painting the dark reception, updating the reception furniture, it could make a great improvement, but the service was just not good and reception just does not work, as they all seem to be running around the place, trying to find bags etc. Overall great location, rooms fine, bathrooms very nice, reception outdated and badly run. Nothing that a little bit of money couldn't sort out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear chichiireland

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delays and problems you experienced with our reception team when trying to check-in during you recent stay with us. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that particular Saturday as normally our reception team receives high praise from reviewers. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Front Office Manager to ensure any similar lapses in our normally high standards could be avoided in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

One night stay spoilt by understaffed reception and lengthy waiting every time we needed to speak. Nor did they answer when we phoned from the room. Allocated a Classic room instead of an Executive (which we had booked online) - though receptionist said there was no difference! When they did move us the double bed was very uncomfortable which they obviously knew about because there was a mattress topper - but that does not fill in the sag in the centre. Our online room rate included a free paper which they then tried to charge for when we finally managed to checkout. The hotel was busy but clearly not staffed adequately. On the bright side we had an excellent meal with great service in their very nice, but relatively empty, restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rod P

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed and excellent meal and great service in our restaurant; however, I am very disappointed to learn of your disappointment with your room and that you believe you were allocated a Classic instead of an Executive room type and for the delays you experienced at our reception desk.

I would be happy to look into your booking details and the room type you were allocated and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Hotel was nice but the parking facilities were very very poor. We had to drag our suitcases through a very busy shopping area from an NCP Parkade which was the nearest one we get into. It was most unpleasant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Paul C

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with our car parking arrangements.

With regards to our parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the New Street NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. There is also 24 hour motor vehicle access to the rear of the hotel on Stephenson Street allowing guests to drop luggage prior to parking there car.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked this hotel having been so impressed with the Mcdonald Bath Spa hotel when we stayed there last February. However the Burlington is no where near the standards that I was expecting from this chain. The room we were given had the worst outlook I think I have ever experienced in any hotel I have ever stayed in. We overlooked the air conditioning units and various other pipes on the roof outside. I should have asked to change rooms but thought I would give the benefit of doubt as the room itself seemed fairly comfortable. We were kept awake most of the night by the fans and air conditioning units. I called reception at 2.10am and was told they should not be going off and they would get the hotel maintenance team to look. At 2.30 they were still going so I called reception again. They did eventually go off but then came back on again at different intervals during the night. Whoever I spoke to knew this but was obviously too afraid to tell me.When checking out the next morning I complained and was told that I should have asked for one of the nicer rooms when I booked as this room was notorious for keeping people awake....how was I supposed to know this never having stayed at this hotel before? And one would hope that you are given a nice room every time? My complaint was literally brushed aside.As far as I'm concerned who would want to stay in a room where they would be kept awake all night? Surely this room should be offered at a discounted price to those made aware that you would not sleep?? This was booked as a treat for my boyfriend and I felt embarrassed. The hotel is advertised as 4 stars but generally it needs modernising and I don't feel it's worthy of it's 4 star status. The plus side of this hotel is it's location right in the centre of the shopping area.

Room Tip: Any room other than 311
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Knittypink
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Knittypink

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I had an awful room at this hotel with stains on carpet, tiny window, depressing view, noisy A/C and very uncomfortable bed. All round bad experience as I was on a business trip and needed to be fresh the following morning! Reception busy and complaint was pretty much dismissed. Very disappointing all round.

Room Tip: They do have good rooms as two of my colleagues were staying in them whilst one other had an equally...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Sue T

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The Burlington has an excellent location - it's close to the station, shops and nightlife. However, as expected for any hotel in a city location, there can be a lot of noise from outside. The first room we were given (room 217) had the generator immediately outside - this was extremely noisy and blocked any natural light. The staff were very helpful though when we asked to move rooms and promptly offered us a different room. The main areas of the hotel appear grand, but the rooms do appear a little tired in decor and there is definite evidence of wear and tear. Also, there were minor issues with the room - the TV only worked intermittently and one of the bedside lights didn't work. The bed was also smaller than you might expect in a modern hotel - nevertheless it was very comfortable. Overall, only minor faults and it was still an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 217 - generator is right outside the window blocking all light and is also very noisy
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CharloBungle
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear CharloBungle

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us, our location and in particular found our staff to be very helpful; however, I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your room and sincerely apologise for the maintenance shortfalls you experienced.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to stay in Birmingham City centre and I will endeavour to allocate you one of our refurbished bedrooms. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel.