“Great stay”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Had a lovely clean room and awesome bed. Staff were lovely and I really enjoyed my stay. It was also quiet and although it is an old hotel our room and the public areas seemed well maintained. I'm looking forward to a future visit.

Room Tip: Inside facing, high rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear dotcom

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed a great stay with us, your room and in particular found all our staff to be lovely. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,039)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I've stayed at the Burlington twice now and have been happy on both occasions.

Each time I have stayed in an executive suite at the front of the building and despite being in a busy city centre there was very little noise as the rooms were well sound proofed (and I'm a light sleeper). Being a city centre hotel I actually expected there to be more noise than there was.

On both occasions I was not happy with the initial room that I was given (over looking the train station and a taxi rank, but the reception staff were extremely efficient in resolving this and finding me a room that I was happy with, so this is by no means a complaint.

Staff are friendly & attentive and room service is very prompt.

I only ate in the restaurant for breakfast once and I didn't expect great things (many bad experiences with hotel breakfasts) however I was pleasantly surprised. The breakfast that I was served was closer to what I would expect from the Balmoral in Edinburgh than a 4 star hotel.

If you were visiting Birmingham for the Christmas market then this hotel is the perfect place to stay.

Verdict: an extremely good 4 star hotel, but the restaurant, on the day that I ate there, was closer to 5 star.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mike_Saint_PTX

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you have enjoyed your two stays with us, our award winning Macdonald signature breakfast and in particular found all of our staff very friendly and attentive. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is meant to be a premier class hotel but the room we had had ridiculously squeaky floorboards and even though we weren't walking around a great deal, I wouldn't have liked to be in the room below.

In there room there is a stoppered bottle of 'sparkling water'. This was just plain water, although reception told me it was from their own well and shouldn't have been sparkling. I swear it was Severn Trent - luckily the best tasting water in the country.

I accept that a city centre hotel will be a little bit noisy, but the street noise was excessive - drunks banging shutters, shouting, bottle collections, reversing alarms. Could do with some internal double glazing.

At breakfast there was one waitress for the whole restaurant. We waited 5 minutes to be seated and she only came across because the phone rang. She then pointed to our seat rather than show us to it. We then waited 30 minutes before she came to the table and offered us tea and coffee and took our order. Three small slices of anaemic toast arrived in a six slice toast rack with the tea. When the cooked breakfast finally arrived, it was inedible; the bacon was dry and curled at the edges, the sausages were dripping fat, the black pudding was nothing like black pudding and more like a spicy cake mix and the scrabbled egg tasted as if it had been made from reconstituted eggs.
All in all breakfast took an hour.

As we were walking back to our room, just as we were going through a set of double doors, without warning, the fire alarm was tested and the doors fired from their electromagnets, scaring the life out of us.

On the plus side, the receptionist refunded the cost of breakfast without hesitation and facilitated our completing of a feedback questionaire.

1  Thank Mickjenn65

Dear Mickjenn65

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note our water competes with what you consider to be the best tasting water in the country, although I am sorry to learn the bottled water in your room had not been carbonized. I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping Manager so the appropriate remedial training can be delivered to ensure any similar lapses in our usually high standards could be avoided in the future. You were informed correctly; our entire water supply is sourced from natural Birmingham spring water, fed from a well underneath the hotel.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service and quality of food you were presented with in our restaurant for breakfast. We normally receive very positive feedback about our breakfasts. Unfortunately we experienced some unforeseen challenges that particular morning and clearly we were not performing to our usual standards. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. They have especially been asked to be associated with my apology. I am pleased to note our reception team did not charge you for your breakfast and do hope this went some way towards making up for your disappointment.

I am also sorry to hear you were scared by our fire alarm test. To ensure the health and safety of all of our guests and employees we carry out tests at the same time every week. This information is provided in our guest service directory in all of our bedrooms.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Visited last night for my birthday celebrations. From the outside the hotel looks impressive but from the website pictures and to the inside, it's anything but! Our first room overlooked piping, a flat roof, there was no light-bulb in one of the lights, and no bed side lighting. For the prices paid for a basic room I wasn't impressed at all! We complained and got moved to a higher floor with a lovely view of the street below, this room I believe was a superior! All I can say is that the bed was about the only great thing about this room as it was a Queen sized bed, and the bathroom mirror which had a kind of special effect in that one area of the mirror did not steam up! But look up and the ceiling paint in the bathroom is peeling, and the shower door was heavily marked with hard water stains, a very squeaky basin tap. The room was shabby, dated, with old furniture, and nothing matching. Even the bed side lights were different with revolting 1960 lampshades on them. The windows were dated and loose, with difficulty in opening. The air con worked too which was a plus but I won't be returning even though it's perfectly placed if you're shopping or you want a night out. This hotel definitely needs refreshing and updating. The staff however were polite and accommodating. Thank goodness for the superb restaurants surrounding it.

Room Tip: Probably best to telephone than to book on line.
2  Thank zebbidy

Dear zebbidy

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you found all of our staff polite and accommodating; however, I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room and sincerely apologise for the housekeeping and maintenance shortfalls you experienced.

I assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards and I have reviewed it in detail with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers to ensure any similar lapses could be avoided in the future. They have both asked especially to be associated with my apology.

I would also like to take this opportunity to assure you we are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. I can only assume on this particular occasion you were allocated one of our older bedrooms awaiting refurbishment.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The service on arrival was friendly, we got to our room to find an empty wine bottle and a bag full of rubbish outside our door, this was the start, when we entered our room it was how can I say...extremely tiny for an executive double, a basic standard room maybe! We was over looking new street station, the noise was terrible, could here everything that was going on outside and we were three floors up, double glazing needs replacing, the bed had looked like someone had just got out of it and just thrown the covers back, there was an information book which had coffee/tea ring marks all over it, walls were marked looked very grubby. There was 1pair of sleepers which were tucked away in the wardrobe didn't see them until we were leaving, no dressing gowns. It was a treat for my birthday off my husband he had paid a lot of money for it, he was very disheartened.

Room Tip: Check the size of your room if booking an executive suite, try and get a room on the front of the bu...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Mandy H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to learn of your disappointment with your room and for the Housekeeping shortfalls you experienced.

I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards and I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Housekeeping Manager to ensure any similar lapses could be avoided in the future.

I would be happy to look into your booking details and the room type you were allocated and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Booked this hotel online for 2 nights with breakfast for both mornings at an additional cost of £17.50 each per person per day !! - what a disappointment. Breakfast was bought out to you already plated. Not the nicest. Black pudding was vile and full of grease and fried bread was foul. we would have been better going out in to a local cafe for a far nicer breakfast..
Staff was friendly and our room was lovley. Very clean and bathroom was superb.
Actual hotel looking a bit tired, needs a bit of TLC.
A bit over priced, but enjoyable. Nice location, right in the middle of the German markets.
Overall nice weekend.

Room Tip: We had a rear room, 317 outlook was air conditioning units and roof tops . Didn't really bother...

Dear Amanda M

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the breakfast you were presented with. We normally receive very positive feedback about our breakfasts. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that morning and I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. They have especially asked to be associated with my apology.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Four of us arrived at the hotel early on Saturday morning, we were told that they would try to have us in to our rooms early, but when we arrived back we ended up queuing in reception for an age and at 2.30pm we only got one of our rooms, some 30 minutes later than normal check-in. The people on reception were overworked and all over the place. The girl who dealt with us got so confused that she actually ran off to the back office half way through a conversation, as she couldn't cope. Reception called us at 15 minutes later to say our second room was ready and they would drop up the key, but they never arrived. We went down to reception to get the key and made our way to the room. We entered the room to fine someone in the bed. Back down to reception to be told they had given us the wrong room. Next morning we queued for 15 minutes to get a table in the breakfast room. The breakfast room was actually a very pleasant room once we got in there and breakfast was very nice. The rooms and bathrooms were pleasant and the hotel location was great. Reception and toilets downstairs were terrible, outdated and unclean. With a little bit of money on new carpets and painting the dark reception, updating the reception furniture, it could make a great improvement, but the service was just not good and reception just does not work, as they all seem to be running around the place, trying to find bags etc. Overall great location, rooms fine, bathrooms very nice, reception outdated and badly run. Nothing that a little bit of money couldn't sort out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear chichiireland

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delays and problems you experienced with our reception team when trying to check-in during you recent stay with us. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that particular Saturday as normally our reception team receives high praise from reviewers. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Front Office Manager to ensure any similar lapses in our normally high standards could be avoided in the future.