“Cheeky weekend in Brum”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #38 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had stayed here before and got a two for one offer from Macdonald Hotels via internet. Booked a classic double so, whilst perfectly adequate and comfortable, was not the best placed room in the hotel but we didn't expect to spend all day in there. The Burlington is ideally placed in the City Centre. Staff were extremely welcoming and helpful, even finding fridge space for some fresh produce we bought at the Bull Ring market. I'd definitely look here first when we return to Birmingham, as long as the price is right. It needs to be on offer, and on this trip was great value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear orz1477

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to stay in Birmingham City centre and I will endeavour to allocate you a better placed bedroom. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just returned from a one night stay from this lovely warm friendly hotel right from moment we checked in to leaving was such a pleasure was a little bit apprehensive after reading some reviews but need not have worried it was all wonderful had a fantastic room with two double beds.
Breakfast was also really good but for me all the staff really made our stay.
Patricia and Val

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Patriciaobrien

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed an excellent stay with us, our award winning Macdonald Signature Breakfast and in particular I am so pleased to note our staff were able to contribute to your stay in such a positive way. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Burlington is in an excellent location - it's close to New Street station shops and nightlife. However, as expected for any hotel in a city location, there can be a lot of noise from outside.(building work being carried out for the next year to revamp New Street station???) The first room we were given (room 333)was a very spacious room but it only had one small narrow window which gave very little natural light and over looked the centre of the hotel with the generators and air conditioning fans outside. Although not in the room that much we didn't want to spend our time sitting in electric light when there. The staff were very helpful though when we asked to move rooms and promptly offered us a different room. The main areas of the hotel appear grand, but the rooms do appear a little tired in decor and there is definite evidence of wear and tear. We booked our rooms during the MacDonald hotel sale at a rate of two nights for the price of one, breakfast not included. We were staying Friday and Saturday and figured we would not be up early enough on Saturday for breakfast so decided to go for just the room option with the possibility of having breakfast on the Sunday. The cost of breakfast is £17.50 per person. For that cost I would have expected something better then the meal presented and particularly a full flat mushroom rather the just half! My full english breakfast consisted of one small sausage, two rashers of bacon, scrambled egg, half a slice of fried bread, half a flat mushroom and baked beans, plus the usual cereals and continental options. Nice but disappointing for the cost. Maybe had they not had someone cutting the mushrooms in half that person could be employed elsewhere in the kitchen thus reducing the cost to the customer? At the Hilton hotels for a similar price you get a full buffet breakfast were you can have as much or as little as you wish. The staff in all areas were very friendly and helpful. I do however find it difficult to understand why the Burlington is a four star hotel? I have rated our stay as average as I feel poor is a little to harsh. I do hope our friends who also stayed for the same two days as us write a review for their stay. I have suggested the title to be "Please supply a cat just to see if we can swing one around in the room" ........301!!

Room Tip: Room 333 Large room small window. Very little natural light. Overlooks central area of hotel (Air co...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
16  Thank Tallbear55

Dear Tallbear55

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and writing to us directly

I am very sorry to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to bring such constructive comments to our attention. I trust our response to your direct correspondence addressed your feedback in full and sincerely hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Burlington Hotel again in the future.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Just stayed here and checked out today. Really had a great time and the only downside was the radiator in the room will not turn down so it was like a sauna in the room but that was quickly rectified by putting the airconditioning on the lowest.

When we walked into our room it hadn't been done but upon informing reception we were quickly upgraded to a bigger better room.

The steakhouse next door was amazing. We went for a few drinks and upon returning to the hotel the bar was quickly opened for us to have more drinks.

Overall excellent hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Joe A

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased overall you had a great time during your stay with us and enjoyed an amazing meal in our Scottish Steak Club restaurant; however, I am sorry to hear of the maintenance shortfalls you initially experienced in your bedroom. I am happy to note this was rectified and hope this did not detract from the enjoyment of your stay too much.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

booked as a city break, for the Christmas Market, and to attend a concert at the NIA.

We had a suite on the top floor that would have been large enough for that nights Simple Minds/Ultravox Gig . The bathroom was similarly capacious, and the walk in shower was particularly nice. Food was excellent , and it quite nice that the restaurant faces out over New Street.

The staff were welcoming and the general ambience is of a Edwardian Club. Only grouses, bar prices, and the fact that the Car parking was a 600 yd walk, although the deal that Macdonalds have with the NCP means that this is the cheapest parking in Brum.

For those who haven't been to Birmingham, get yourself down there. Good times, good food and good shopping

Room Tip: go to the balti triangle and eat at the Royal Al Faisal for the best curry in Brimingham
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Whitchurchwinger

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us for the Christmas Market, the excellent food you were served in our Scottish Steak Club and in particular found our staff welcoming. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

The Burlington hotel is conveniently situated right next to New St Station, Hidden away above a shopping arcade - It is old fashioned in a good way, with wide corridors and staircases, redolent of the Victorian era when it was originally built, while the rooms are comfortable with all modern conveniences.
The breakfast room is lovely – with big windows overlooking New St – and the breakfast was good too.
The staff are friendly and helpful and the rates for staying there were surprisingly reasonable. There are also loads of good places to eat and drink nearby.

Room Tip: The Rooms facing inwards are generally quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear AlmondCroissant

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, our breakfast experience and in particular find our staff friendly and helpful. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I booked this without first reading any reviews and was slightly worried once I had been on here. Happy to say that I need not have worried though as the Burlington is simply lovely.

The building is just majestic and looks in really good condition. I booked an Executive Double and my only gripe is that the bed was a standard double and thus a lot smaller than the king size I'm used to. That said it was comfortable and I had no real issues with it.

The room was fresh and modern and included a decent hairdryer and iron which was useful. The shower was lovely and simple to use and the bathroom was in keeping with the rest of the building.

Breakfast was lovely but I felt that the restaurant had its look 'cheapened' with the addition of numerous 'Scottish Steak Club' signs which look more at home at a Harvester or Brewer's Fayre than the Burlington. Food was lovely though so no issues.

The location is about as good as you can get. Directly opposite New Street station with parking at the NCP on the other side of the station (5 minute walk directly through the station). Parking should have been £21 (I arrived at 3pm, left at midday the following day) but the voucher from reception on check out reduced this to a very reasonable £2.50.

Staff were all helpful and cheery with nothing too much trouble.

A beautiful Victorian building that is well taken of with great rooms, great staff and should guarantee a pleasant stay. Add to cheap and secure parking into the mix and the Burlington ticks all the boxes. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear northernglobetrotter

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, a lovely breakfast and in particular found our staff friendly and helpful. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive and constructive review.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to stay in Birmingham City centre and I will endeavour to allocate you a bedroom with a king size bed. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.