“Excellent Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My fiancee and I recently had a 3 week stay at the Burlington, We had stayed there last year on a number of occasions. The location of the Hotel is excellent. Just get off the train at New Street Station and the Hotel is just across the road. The room we had on our recent stay was spacious with a large television and seating area. Our maid Jolanta Major was pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for her. We also found the reception staff to be pleasant and helpful and in particular Richard Westley. We would definitely recommend this Hotel and will be staying there again soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Neil803

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed another excellent stay with us, and in particular I am pleased to note you find all of our staff to be pleasant and helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Jolanta and Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Derek McDonagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Having just stayed at the Burlington I can honestly say I had a great weekend. I had to change my dates due to a bereavement and it was no problem for them, they even upgraded my room. Staff were very helpful from the start and throughout our stay. Room was lovely large bed, clean and tidied every day. Very quite throughout stay. Thanks again for a lovely weekend. Will definitely be back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gordon2312

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed a great weekend stay with us, and in particular I am pleased to note you found all of our staff helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Isle of Man
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We’d booked the Burlington for a weekend break because I’d stayed there a few years ago when working in Birmingham so I knew how central it was. With lots of work going on around Birmingham New Street the street around the hotel are a bit of a building site but as you enter the arcade the reception is accessed from there is a feeling of quality and peace.

All the staff were friendly and helpful whenever we saw anyone in the hotel and the reception desk always happy to assist.

The room we were allocated was at the far and of the building so we didn’t have problems with others passing up and down the corridor and it was a good size. The bathroom was very big but with the electric radiator not working it could be cold at times. We didn’t report the problem as we didn’t find it an issue as the shower was hot and the cold wasn’t an issue after using that. The bath was disappointing, I was going to use it on the first night but after 10 minutes when it was still only a few inches deep I gave up and had a shower after all.

The other advantage of being at the other end of the hotel was the fact that we overlooked a side street which didn’t have any building work going on. I’m not sure that if you has a room facing the station it would be that peaceful in a morning with all the work that is going on at the moment. I appreciate this is outside of the control of the hotel and I got the impression they are trying to avoid using these rooms as the maid each morning was usually servicing rooms facing inwards. Other rooms have suggested that the view from these rooms isn’t great but I think I would prefer this to the noise.

The breakfast was very good with a wide choice on the self service section of fruit, cereal, juices, etc and the fried food served freshly prepared. It was disappointing that both mornings we were there the black pudding was unavailable because of supplier problems. We ate in the restaurant on our first night and were disappointed, we’d been really looking forward to this having read the online menu. When the food arrived we were warned that the plates were hot, well you have to touch them don’t you to see if they are, they weren’t even tepid. I know you are supposed to season food but I think this chef has previously worked at the other McDonalds were the “fries” are over salted and as a result still can’t help throwing excessive salt on the chips. Finally one of the steaks was full of gristle with a large part of it inedible.

Overall the hotel was comfortable, in a great location for what we wanted and at a reasonable price compared to what else was available in the area. We’ll go back there when we next visit Birmingham.

Dear Hengate

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff very friendly and helpful; however, may I sincerely apologise for some aspects of your experience.

I would like to assure you the shortfalls you experienced are in no way reflective of our usual standards and your feedback has been a subject of our weekly departmental management meeting to assist us in improving our product and service delivery for the future. The team has asked especially to be associated with my apology.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Macdonald Burlington is a charming, old-style luxury hotel, which lacks certain amenities of more modern competitors.

If it's charm you are after, though, this is a good choice for you. Furthermore, the location is excellent: right downtown, an easy walk to the central train station and all the (many) Birmingham downtown shopping centers.

Breakfast is served in a bright, high-ceilinged room with gigantic windows overlooking the pedestrian shopping area of New Street. Afternoon high tea is also available here in or a lounge area. Both were good quality, although I'm not sure what they were calling "Eggs Benedict." Try the kippers (a full breakfast, not something to replace your sausage!) and the fried bread at least once. Don't forget that you could choose the perfectly-made porridge with nuts and honey for something more sensible. We only discovered the porridge on our last morning, sadly.

The staff was professional and went out of their way to help us organize some things we wanted to do.

We had no real complaints that cannot fall under the rubric of "yeah, but it's a really old hotel", eg, toilets difficult to flush, heating difficult to control, rooms not isolated from neighborhood noise, rooms a little tight to move around in.

Dear Jon J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us, our award winning Macdonald Signature Breakfast and in particular found our staff to be very professional and helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely weekend away in Birmingham at the Burlington Hotel. Prior to arrival several emails were exchanged with James (Ops Manager), advising that this was a special anniversary weekend of 5 years. We stayed in Room 500 which is described as a Suite by the hotel, we were not disappointed !

Up on the 5th floor, this room is spacious, warm, inviting and well appointed. The bathroom, complete with roll top bath, double walk in shower and spacious sink area is fresh and contemporary benefiting from a refurbishment recently.

We enjoyed the afternoon watching a film whilst having lunch in our room, as we did with breakfast the following morning. Great service, with a quick call to our room to advise us that breakfast was on its way, meant that we were not startled by a knock on the door.

Checking in was effortless. Richard was attentive and knowledgeable. Our bags were taken up to our room and I honestly can't fault this experience. We will certainly be returning to the Burlington to stop in this room again. Well done James and Richard on making our stay a memorable and enjoyable one .

Dear shelleyandandy

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you had a lovely stay with us for your anniversary weekend, and in particular I am very pleased to note James and Richard were able to contribute to making your stay a most memorable and enjoyable one. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially James and Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have stayed at the Burlington quite a few times now, and this time we wanted to stay as a post Christmas cheer up weekend.

We were not disappointed. We stayed for 2 nights in a spendid room, the usual massive comfy bed, spotlessly clean. We had breakfast this time, which is the first time we have tried it and would definitely have again, it was absolutely delicious - I had eggs benedict which was cooked to perfection.

All staff were extremely helpful - we have a favourite receptionist Sarah, who has booked us in before and is always really helpful, pleasant, happy and informative. Also Richard from reception was another favourite.

We are now planning our next visit - we would recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a stress free and relaxing break in a gorgeous hotel that is steeped in history and has a very grand feeling.

Dear Debby B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am really pleased you continue to choose to stay the Macdonald Burlington Hotel and I am delighted to learn once again you enjoyed your stay with us, a delicious breakfast and in particular always find all of our staff extremely pleasant and helpful. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, especially Sarah and Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We won a night stay at the hotel in a hospital raffle - thank you! We would definately stay again. The room was lovely, large comfy bed, huge luxury bathroom. The staff on reception were extremly helpful. The breakfast was wonderful, would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, it is in the heart of birmingham, we took the train to moor street took 2 mins to walk to the hotel. We had a lovely night, would recommend the Bacchus bar underneath the hotel, the food was higher quality to your normal pub food, and very reaonable, service was alittle slow though, it has quirky medieval surroundings, very cosy. The hotel is ideally situated for great a night proofing you don't need to drink in the hustle and bustle of broad street. There are very nice quirky traditonal pubs situated around the high street. We would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Ideal location