“beautiful building and fantastic location”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hotel is literally opposite New Street Station and is a grand building. Service was excellent, especially from the hotel reception. Hotel could do with a bit of TLC in the rooms but otherwise a great choice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Derek M
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Derek M

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we certainly agree that our Building is beautiful and such a historical part of Birmingham, originally built as a Hotel circa 1870. Reported to be Sir Winston Churchill's favourite Hotel! Our location has greatly benefited further as the new entrance to New Street station opened literally 30 seconds walk away from the Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon and remember the Best deals are always on our own MacdonaldHotels website.

With kind regards

Derek McDonagh

Write a ReviewReviews (3,039)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here overnight on 16th February.Everything you would expect from a four star hotel.Booked an executive suite for my wife and myself, bit more expensive than the standard room but well worth it. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the reception staff who were very efficient and knowledgeable and made to feel welcome even though it was Sunday morning and they had had a very busy Saturday night.We were early for the room so they helpfully took our cases and we went off for a wander around Brum.Hotel is central to everything in town and 10 minute walk from Snow Hill Station.We had booked an evening meal at Cafe Rouge to use up a gift card our daughters had given us for Xmas and the Cafe was 2 mins walk away with numerous restaurants and bars near by.Our room was on the 3rd floor.Spacious, warm and welcoming a lovely on suite and beautifully clean, dressing gown and slippers provided all made that extra difference.Large and comfortable King size bed and plenty of pillows.The only fault if you could call it that would be the price of the Breakfast which at £17.50 a head to my mind was a touch steep but as there are numerous cafes around you can easily step out for brekkies.All in all a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear whilans

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us and our staff made you feel welcome, although I am disappointed to learn you did not experience our award winning Macdonald Signature breakfast. May I suggest the next time you book and in order to avail of a considerable discount, you consider including breakfast as part of your bedroom package.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel reception looked great and the staff were brilliant however everything got worse from then on.
As I was walking down the corridor the floor was bumpy as if some of the floor boards had holes in, also whilst walking I noticed some of the lights wasn't working so it was like walking in a horror film.
When I got into my Executive room I noticed it was very small, there was a table and 2 chairs however I couldn't sit on one of the chairs unless I had no legs because that's how small my room was and the floor boards also creaked, as I carried on I noticed there was only 1 towel and 1 robe even though they knew 2 people were staying, I found this very confusing.
As I was going to bed I noticed there was a breeze so I checked the window and it was closed yet a very cold breeze was coming through which was uncomfortable and I also noticed there was a breeze coming from underneath the door! I can feel these breezes despite the heating being on. The bed was very uncomfortable and I woke up with a bad back.
Me and my girlfriend couldn't wait to leave next morning and we got on the first bus back home. I can easily say we will never go here ever again,

Dear Oliver P

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for a weekend. Location was great we walked out of Birmingham New Street station and hotel was right oppoiste us.

Check in was ment to be 2pm but when we got there at 12pm we were allocated a room which was great. Room was lovely and ver spacious with the biggest most comfy bed I've ever slept in!

Staff were very friendly and helpful and the decor and interior of hotel was lovely. Would defiantly recommend and would visit again we throughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Tasha_Hol

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your weekend stay with us and found all our staff very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel is very well located in the centre of Birmingham, and check in was very easy and efficient. The hotel decor is very nice and reminiscent of times gone bar, however there are parts which do require modernisation. The biggest issue was with the room itself, in particular the bed. Whilst the room was not particularly big, it was adequate in size, however the 'double' bed was very narrow indeed and, coupled with an uncomfortable mattress, made a good nights' sleep virtually impossible.

Room Tip: If you get Room 401 and are a couple, ask to be moved!
2  Thank Martyn H

Dear Martyn H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the size of the bed you were presented with in the bedroom you were allocated.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to stay in Birmingham City centre and I will endeavour to allocate you a larger bedroom with a king size bed. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I attended this hotel over two days for a business meeting.
It's overall appearance is lovely and somewhat old world glamour which is rarely seen these days! The location is perfect being very close to shops and Birmingham new street station.

We were very well looked after during our time here. Staff were helpful, polite and attentive. Tea, and snacks were replenished regularly during the day and water and cordial provided.

The lunch that was provided on the 1st day was lovely the little pots of comfort food were delicious but it could have done with a second desert choice. Lunch on the second day was from the bar menu, and it was one of the best chicken Caesar salads I've ever had!

I would be very happy to visit this hotel again!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Zeta L

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you were well looked after and enjoyed your stay with us, our food offerings and in particular found our staff polite and attentive. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Been here a few times now, so can't all be bad as I'm a regular traveller! I agree with recent review about check in, on every occasion I have been here they appear to struggle.
My room was small but clean and tidy. The hotel is adjacent to New Street station so if you literally need somewhere to stay where you walk straight from station to hotel, this is ideal.
Is it a 4 star, well in my opinion it sits just above a 3 star, it is a little aged (aren't we all?), but that adds character at best! Would I return, well I've already answered that as this is my fourth visit, I have also stayed at the Radisson, Crowne Plaza and Hyatt in Birmingham and can say it does not meet those standards but in a nice way it's kinda different!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank toyotaverso
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear toyotaverso

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to note you continue to return to us; however, may I sincerely apologise for the service shortfalls you have experienced on arrival at check in.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, such as allocate you a larger room, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk