“Business trip made easy”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #38 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Durham, United Kingdom
“Business trip made easy”
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in room 338 along the third floor corridor and although smaller than I thought the room was comfortable,warm and I slept well. Richard on reception and Donna Cox at breakfast along with a very pleasant polish girl during evening meal are a great asset to the hotel. Breakfast was lovely well cooked and of a high quality and the Scottish steak club meal although expensive was tasty and of a high standard having scotch broth ,sirloin steak followed by sticky toffee pudding.This hotel is yards away from New Street station which makes it very handy and I think my company will use this hotel again as we are in Birmingham twice a year. Well done Macdonald Burlington.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear David M
Thank you sincerely for your comments and for the time you have taken to give this feedback. I am delighted to learn of the positive stay you had and also your comments regarding Richard, Donna and Anna in our Restaurant. We are very proud of the Team on how they all work to deliver exceptional customer service. I will personally pass on your feedback to them. Chef is also delighted to learn of your dining experience's.

Derek McDonagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This hotel has the most wonderful staff I have come across to date! I travel often for business and on this occasion my boss and I chose to stay at the Macdonald Burlington hotel because it's located right across the street from the Birmingham New Street Station. We're from the US and we wanted to be able to get around easily without a car. But when we booked the hotel rooms, we mistakenly chose single bed rooms rather than double bed rooms. After a brief exchange relaying our problem to the gentleman at customer service, it was immediately corrected and we were moved to larger rooms right away - no questions asked. A big thank you to Richard who helped us!!! :) I'm sure we'll be staying again next year since we had a lovely experience! Thanks so much!!!

Room Tip: the location of this hotel is in a pedestrian area where taxi drivers may have to drop you off a few...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Lindsey G

Thank you so much for your very kind comments about the Team, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give your feedback. I will also personally pass on my praise to Richard at Reception for looking after you so well.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and I stopped at this fine old hotel last Friday, great character, some old leaded windows in the link corridor say Midland hotel on them so guessing this is the heritage.

Great greeting at reception, made even better by the super helpful staff and little room upgrade

If you want to get away from the white box hotel this is it, oozed character, Breakfast was excellent

This would have been a full 5 if it was not for the faf of parking, made even worse as the road opposite New St Station is dug up so you cant get a car near the place, not the hotels fault but worth watching out for

Room Tip: We stopped in room 344 and it overlooked high st so great for people watching people drop into the T...
Dear Martin O
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. The Burlington Hotel was originally the Midland Hotel which serviced New Street Station dating back to circa 1870. We are very proud to have held onto the original stain glass windows in certain areas of our building. We are steeped in Birmingham history - indeed the Post used to run underneath the Hotel to the train station through a network of tunnels, these still exist today!

Our location is directly opposite the new entrance to New Street station opened literally 30 seconds walk away from the Hotel. When you stay in future with us and you do park let us know beforehand as we are always delighted to send a Porter meet and help with Guests bags to the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon and remember the Best deals are always on our own MacdonaldHotels website.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I just want to add my own personal comment about how co-operative and attentive the staff are at this hotel! Both Liz Leech and Katy Evans who work there have been extremely helpful on several occasions. As part of my job role, I had to research a hotel and both Liz Leech and Katy Evans have been more than helpful, offering me some of their quality time (although I am aware they are extremely busy) and providing me with lots of useful information. Thanks Liz, thanks Katy. You are an asset to the company :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear LisaBren613
I am delighted to learn how attentive my staff have been. In particular I will personally follow up with both Liz and Katy to thank them from myself directly for being so supportive in your research whilst you stayed with us.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Best regards

Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We've stayed at the Burlington a few times, mainly due to the fact that it is right next to New Street Station and ideally placed for events in the city centre. And of course it is a grand old building with a bit of character, rather than a boring modern box!

Check in was quick, the receptionist was chatty and informative. She told us that we'd been given a quiet room on an upper floor, but if we didn't think it suitable she would change it. There was no need. We were in room 504, which is quite long and narrow, but had everything we needed.

The one small criticism I would have is that the radiators in the room only appeared to have two settings - Off and Blast Furnace! It got so warm that we had to open a window in the wee small hours.

We decided to treat ourselves (OK - we were being lazy) and had breakfast in bed. A good selection and still warm when it arrived.

We'll definitely be back again.

Dear JohnDH2912
It is always a pleasure to see Guests returning time after time. Thank you sincerely for your comments and for the time you have taken to give this feedback. I am delighted to learn of the positive stay you had. Please also be assured I will instruct Maintenance to look at the heat settings in room 504.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the near future, once again thank you for the feedback.

Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at the hotel on February 20th /21st 2014. The hotel is literally right outside New Street railway station. The reception area is very ornate and welcoming. Check in was very quick and we were offered storage for our luggage until check in time. For information check in is 2.00pm and check out is 11.00am, except Sunday when check out is 12.00. My partner and I stayed in an Executive room. The room was reasonably roomy and the bed was very comfortable. We found that the room was quiet and our sleep was not disturbed. The hotel was very clean and generally the staff were very helpful. We were disappointed with breakfast. The continental breakfast choice was good. However we thought that the standard of the English breakfast and subsequent table service was poor. The bacon was limp and a greyish colour, not very appetising at all. The baked beans were barely warm. We had to ask for toast. We had to ask for milk for our tea. My partner was served with breakfast items she did not order. The Baccuss Bar however (which is open to the general public) was completely different. Very atmospheric. The food was very good and the service first class. I would return to the hotel but will give the breakfast a miss in future. The hotel is within easy walking distance of all City centre shops, The art gallery, the new library , the NIA, Birmingham Rep and Brindley Place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Jim B
Thank you sincerely for your feedback I really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. Whilst I am delighted to learn of the positives in regards to your stay I am however disappointed to learn of your experience with breakfast. We do quite often we receive fantastic feedback on our signature breakfast, clearly this was not the case for you and I have personally carried out an investigation on how we got this so wrong on this day. I will continue to monitor this area and today Head Chef and myself met to discuss the constructive feedback to work on ways we can consistently get it right going forward.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hotel is literally opposite New Street Station and is a grand building. Service was excellent, especially from the hotel reception. Hotel could do with a bit of TLC in the rooms but otherwise a great choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Derek M
Dear Derek M

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we certainly agree that our Building is beautiful and such a historical part of Birmingham, originally built as a Hotel circa 1870. Reported to be Sir Winston Churchill's favourite Hotel! Our location has greatly benefited further as the new entrance to New Street station opened literally 30 seconds walk away from the Hotel.