“Excellent stay! Fantastic service!”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
stourbridge
“Excellent stay! Fantastic service!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Macdonalds Burlington on Friday night (22nd March last) and we had an excellent stay. We were celebrating her birthday and the reception staff member (Ryan) immediately upgraded us to a suite which was fantastic! He offered us a deal on breakfast, which we had not booked in advance but which was excellent value for money, He then rang our favourite restaurant in Birmingham to book us a table - we had been unable to do this ourselves earlier in the week. He also personally delivered a complementary bottle of wine to our suite and when we got back from dinner he rang us up to check that we'd had a good night. We've travelled all over the world on business and pleasure and I have to say that this ranks as the best welcome and level of service we've ever received. We live in the West Midlands and it was great to see such high quality of service right on our doorstep!

Well done to all the staff, especially to Ryan!

Room Tip: When you book and it's for a special occasion make sure to add in the reason on the booking form...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear FoodloverStourbridge

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your partner’s birthday with us. I am delighted to learn my team made sure you enjoyed an excellent stay. I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them, especially Ryan, as I know they will be encouraged by it

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

Derek McDonagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Pros:

Lovely traditional hotel, very clean, friendly staff at Reception, good central location for shopping and sights.

Cons: it took 55 minutes from arriving at the restaurant to a cooked breakfast hitting the table. This made a group of 5 of us late for a course we were there for. There was no apology so I have to assume this is their normal service. I never went back to eat in the restaurant; I just picked up a croissant from there in the morning. So now I'm paying £18 a day for a croissant.

They advertise a fantastic deal to pay £5 to use a gym round the corner every time you want to go in. What a deal!! The gym is very busy and full of Kimbo Slice lookalikes. They also make you fill out a long winded computer application every time you go and ask that you bomb out of it half way through. What a joke when you're just paying in cash as the only option!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark W
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Mark W

I am pleased to learn you like our location and found my staff at reception to be friendly; however, please accept my apologies for the service shortfalls you experienced at breakfast and for your disappointment with the local gym we work with.

We normally receive very positive feedback about our breakfasts. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that particular morning and my restaurant manager will be feeding back your comments to our food service team to help assist us in improving our service for the future. She has also asked to especially to be associated with my apology.

I sincerely hope this isolated experience does not deter you from using us again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This Hotel is well situated right beside New St Rail Station and a short walk to most of the good sahopping areas.. The Hotel itself is old style so if you prefer a very modern style then this is not for you. Lovely reception areas,dining room and bar all with chandeliers and feature ceilings and staircases. The room I had 226 was large and well appointed with a very comfortable bed. It had evereything I needed and plenty of space. As far as I could figure out very few of the rooms had a decent view but as it was for a short 3 day city break it did not bother me . Staff were very friendly and eager to please. We had breakfast in bed on 2 mornings and used the dining room on 1 morning. No problem with the food quality,tempreture or service anytime.

Room Tip: Rambling corridors might not suit people with mobility issues, ask for rooms near the lift perhaps.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dublin162010
Dear Dublin162010

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review and for your very kind comments about my team! I have shared your comments with them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Me and my fiancee stayed here on our anniversary 10th march on arrival straight away they made us feel so welcome with upgrade and service off the front man made my mrs feel so special and happy could not of started the start of our stay any better the room very spacious and clean if you want to know how a extremely high customer service standard should be go to this place polite extra step to help and make you welcome from the start to the end of the stay thank you again for making our stay so memorable we will definitely be coming back

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank dbsmiler
Dear dbsmiler

I am delighted you chose to stay with us to celebrate your anniversary and I am really pleased to learn my team made you feel special and helped to make it a memorable stay for you by going that extra mile and upgrading your bedroom.

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

Bedfordshire
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is based in the shopping area behind New Street Station, great location for shopping trips or business trips. Food is good. Rooms are very comfortable as are the beds. Tea and coffee provided and reception will bring fresh milk.
I will definitely return for a shopping weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Julia H

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review following your stay with us!

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The central location was ideal for us. Very spacious rooms and the bed was really comfortable. Most importantly every member of staff we encountered was pleasant and helpful and should be congratulated on their customer service.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear M M

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are very proud of the Team and how they all work to deliver exceptional customer service. I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them, as I know they will be encourgaed by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back and please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything we can do to help enhance you next stay.

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a lovely suite on the 4th Floor. Huge comfortable bed, two TVs (one in the bedroom the other in the lounge area) with a large bathroom.Staff all very pleasant and helpful.Nice breakfast, self service for the cereals and fruit juice, waitress service thereafter. Discounted car parking provided in a NCP car pak situated in Station Street, about a 7 minute walk away but well worth it. Only £2.38 for overnight (and more) parking! Excellent value should have been £23.80 according to the meter. Great location right in the centre of Birmingham will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the further from street noise below (not that there was much anyway)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Jon E

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments, in particular regarding the pleasant service you received from my team.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.