“Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester
“Location”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Brilliant, stayed in a twin room, loads of space, lovely bathroom, cosy beds, lovely staff and SO cheap (£60 for the room on a Friday night!) I wonder whether we were upgraded to one of the superior rooms without realising? Also amazing location, across the road from New St Station.

Also - car park on other side of station was £24(ish) for £24 hours. We had our ticket validated so it was only £5 for the 24 hours - this wasn't advertised anywhere, it was only because we happened to mention it to reception. The parking cost probably would have put us off booking if we'd realised it was £24, they should advertise that it's cheaper!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Melanie79

I take on board your comments concerning our discounted car parking prices and have fed back to my Front Office Manager to ensure all guests are informed of the discount at check in. I will also be reviewing the information available on our website.

We hope to see you again soon!

Derek McDonagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just got back today and felt i had to write this review, had such a pleasant stay in a fantastic hotel with staff who couldnt do any more for you. We were upgraded to the issac horton suite and were offered complimemtry wine which was a lovely touch for us to celebrate. Room was lovely and clean and all with extras which may i add were all refilled for the following day. Its in a great location central to all that you need. Will be booking for our 2nd anniversary cant wait mrs braddick

• Stayed March 2014
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear emilybraddick1988

I am delighted you chose to stay with us to celebrate your 1st anniversary and I am really pleased to learn my team was able to make your stay that little bit more special with the additional extra touches they provided for you.

I am very proud of my team and how they work to deliver exceptional customer service and I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback and my praise to them for making your stay so pleasant.

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Macdonalds Burlington Birmingham Wednesday 26th-Friday 28th March 2014.The location was perfect for easy access to the Hipperdrome,(where we watched Singing in the Rain ) the National Trust Back to Backs, the Museum (where saw the Staffordshire Haul) and of course the shops.Donna was very friendly and helpful and breakfast was a leisurely treat . We were welcomed by Richard who was extremely helpful and booked out by Jason who was also very attentive . A pleasant stay . I would definately recommend this hotel to my friends . Only small grumble - the sound of the air conditioing in the middle of night was a bit irritating . Next time I will ask for a room on the south side

Dear Liz353

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review and for your very kind comments about my team! I will be certain to personally pass on your feedback to them, especially Donna, Richard and Jason, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated a quieter room. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Verwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel on 4th March following a business meeting and couldn't have been more impressed with the staff and service I received. I stay in many hotels throughout the year and have to say, never have I been made to feel more welcome and comfortable. Despite a slightly rocky start with a problem in my room, this was resolved over and above my expectations. The food was delicious, my room was comfortable and spacious and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you don't like the sound of trains going past (which I do - so I was fine!) then you may want...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Jennie W

Thank you so much for posting such a positive review and for your kind comments about my staff.

I was sorry to learn of your initial problem with your room, but I am delighted my team was able to rectify this for you and ensure you enjoyed your stay and I will personally pass on my praise to them for looking after you so well.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I'm a big steak fan, so I decided to visit the Macdonald Burlington Hotel's Scottish Steak Club in Birmingham.
The food was quite nice, but the service was horrible... We had steak, a bottle of wine and some dessert.
After finishing the dessert, we still had some wine and we were chatting with my friend, when the waitress interrupted us and brought us the bill, even though we didn't asked her to do that. It was weird, but we accepted to pay by card. She brought the card reader which wasn't working so we agreed to pay at the desk, once we are done with our wine.
3 minutes later another waitress is coming with the same card reader, We told her that her colleague tried just a few minutes before, but she was insisting to try herself as well. Obviously the card reader did no't work so I inquired if we should expect to get interrupted for the third time with the same reason... She apologized but the evening was already made "special"...

I sincerely do not understand what is with the rush to pay, since it was a week day evening and the restaurant was not even half occupied and there were lots of free tables.
If I would have been in a hurry, I would have gone to a fast food, but since we paid over 80 quid for a dinner, I was hoping we can enjoy it peacefully with no rush from the staff of the restaurant...

1 Thank Stefan S
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Stefan S

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your dining experience in our Scottish Steak restaurant.

I am pleased to learn you liked our food; however, please accept my apologies for the service shortfalls you experienced. I assure you this is not the usual standard you can expect from the Macdonald Burlington Hotel and I would be delighted to discuss your experience with you directly. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I sincerely hope this isolated experience does not deter you from dining with us again in the future.

stourbridge
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Macdonalds Burlington on Friday night (22nd March last) and we had an excellent stay. We were celebrating her birthday and the reception staff member (Ryan) immediately upgraded us to a suite which was fantastic! He offered us a deal on breakfast, which we had not booked in advance but which was excellent value for money, He then rang our favourite restaurant in Birmingham to book us a table - we had been unable to do this ourselves earlier in the week. He also personally delivered a complementary bottle of wine to our suite and when we got back from dinner he rang us up to check that we'd had a good night. We've travelled all over the world on business and pleasure and I have to say that this ranks as the best welcome and level of service we've ever received. We live in the West Midlands and it was great to see such high quality of service right on our doorstep!

Well done to all the staff, especially to Ryan!

Room Tip: When you book and it's for a special occasion make sure to add in the reason on the booking form...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear FoodloverStourbridge

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your partner’s birthday with us. I am delighted to learn my team made sure you enjoyed an excellent stay. I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them, especially Ryan, as I know they will be encouraged by it

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Pros:

Lovely traditional hotel, very clean, friendly staff at Reception, good central location for shopping and sights.

Cons: it took 55 minutes from arriving at the restaurant to a cooked breakfast hitting the table. This made a group of 5 of us late for a course we were there for. There was no apology so I have to assume this is their normal service. I never went back to eat in the restaurant; I just picked up a croissant from there in the morning. So now I'm paying £18 a day for a croissant.

They advertise a fantastic deal to pay £5 to use a gym round the corner every time you want to go in. What a deal!! The gym is very busy and full of Kimbo Slice lookalikes. They also make you fill out a long winded computer application every time you go and ask that you bomb out of it half way through. What a joke when you're just paying in cash as the only option!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark W
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Mark W

I am pleased to learn you like our location and found my staff at reception to be friendly; however, please accept my apologies for the service shortfalls you experienced at breakfast and for your disappointment with the local gym we work with.

We normally receive very positive feedback about our breakfasts. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that particular morning and my restaurant manager will be feeding back your comments to our food service team to help assist us in improving our service for the future. She has also asked to especially to be associated with my apology.

I sincerely hope this isolated experience does not deter you from using us again in the future.