“Room ” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ireland
“Room ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here at least 10 times before . I asked for big room for 4 of us. Was assured by phone I would be given largest suite. Was given small suite unlike previous visits. The double bed was missing a leg/coaster so was lob sided We were looking out on new street which was noisy at night
Shame guy on reception made a promise that he couldn't deliver on with the room
Hotel is very well situated for shopping and trains etc

Stayed April 2014
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear david939

I am so sorry on this occasion we appear to have let you down. Some of our bedrooms are very popular and unfortunately we are not always able to allocate specific bedrooms on request, although I do I fully appreciate we should deliver on promises made. I have discussed your feedback in detail with my reception team to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

I do hope this isolated experience will not deter you from using us again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book, and should you have a particular favorite bedroom I will endeavor to allocate it to you . I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We do hope you will allow us the opportunity of extending our hospitality to you again soon!

Derek McDonagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Having had my first choice of hotel rejected by my company this was a last minute booking for an event that was taking place in the hotel.

First impression are amazing the service was fast and i was upgraded to a suite that was amssive, agint four poster bed and a large bathroom. The hotel is a little aged and cracks in the tiles and small things like that didn't change the granduer - until you dug a littel deeper. The shower just wouldn't turn on. the olf fashioned taps wer nice but not practical, the room was overly warm.

My room was over looking the train station and i could hear the announcent from the train station in the morning as well as a horrendous noise from about 5.30 am when the nbinswere emptied. I though the window must be open a littlebut on checking they were both closed, so a little more sound proofing is probably needed.

The breakfast was standard fare but I was not made aware of where the cereals were in another room and so only saw them as I left. Breakfast wa sincluded in my room rate but i wouldn't pay £17.50 for it.

I would stay here again but would ask for a room on the other side of the hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jacqui O

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you received amazing service from my team; however, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated a quieter, refurbished bedroom. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My wife, and I, stayed at the Burlington to celebrate her birthday and we both had a great time. Hotel location, standard of room and facilities and food were all excellent but it was the staff that made our stay so fab. They were all so friendly, attentive and efficient but a special mention must be made of Richard Westley who really went the 'extra mile' to look after us.
Thanks Richard, we'll definitely be visiting again!
Mark & Kirsty, Staffs.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mark R

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your wife’s birthday with us. I am delighted to learn my team made sure you enjoyed an excellent stay and I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them, especially Richard, as I know they will be encouraged by it

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Nottingham, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was on a 3 city conference tour, and this hotel was a huge let down. It certainly has seen better days. My smoke detector went off twice whilst I was in the room, and I was told by reception just to ring back when it happened again. I was not impressed by the worn out, scruffy room. The location opposite the station is a huge advantage, but the hotel is not up to the standard expected of a business traveller

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Shallam

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very sorry to learn the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations; in particular our bedroom product. We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion I can only assume you were allocated one of our older bedrooms.

With regards to the fire sensor in your bedroom, all of our detectors are connected to our main fire panel and when activated the hotel goes into full alarm. They do not work independently and our fire panel record,s and alerts us of any individual sensor faults. We have not records of any recent faults with our fire alarm system. To ensure the health and safety of all our guests we do carry out a fire alarm test every Monday morning, where our alarms are activated twice in succession for a very short period of time. This may have been the cause of your concern and I am sorry if this was not explained to you fully by my reception team at the time.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

The staff are very pleasant and eager to help from start to finish of the stay. The rooms are always well equipped, very clean and comfortable. The first time I stayed I was upgraded to a suite, which was nice. I have stayed a couple more times and have joined the loyalty programme. I find that the prices for a suite in this Hotel compare very favorably with a normal room at the airport. Staying here you are only a 10 minute train from the airport anyway and have the city on your doorstep. A special mention for Jason on the front desk who, after I had made a booking for a normal room and e-mailed the hotel for an upgrade had made the arrangement with no fuss. I am looking forward to my next visit, many thanks to all.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear baldybloke

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review and for your very kind comments about my team! I will be sure to pass on you feedback to Jason in particular, as I know he will be encouraged by it.

We hope to see you again soon!

Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This place is fantastic would highly recommend this hotel very friendly and helpful staff,lovely hotel clean as a whistle, in a perfect spot will defiantly will be coming back. Breakfast first class

Room Tip: Executive room lovely 10 out of 10
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tinac123134
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Tinac123134

Thank you for posting such a positive review and for your very kind comments about my team!

We hope to see you again soon!

Derek McDonagh
Caerphilly, Nr Cardiff, South Wales.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with our daughter for a new year shopping trip and simply cannot recommend enough. This wonderful old building retains it's' charm whilst offering up to date facilities and a lovely experience. It is comfortable and offered everything we needed. The bathroom offered both bath tub and shore. our room was spacious and airy and the decor was lovely. The addition of a small fridge in room was most useful. The hotel was spotless and beautifully presented and cosy. Breakfast was excellent and we took advantage of offer of specially prepared foods at a small, most reasonable extra cost. All staff were without exception courteous and extremely helpful.
Whilst waiting for my husband to return to the lobby I witnessed a lady enquire at the desk about a mobile phone she had left some months previously during a visit. The receptionist checked with lost property for her and a short while later her phone was brought to reception for her. the lady looked extremely surprised and very happy indeed...........
Congratulations to everyone at this charming hotel and we look forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: We had a triple room overlooking New Street which was spacious and very comfortable. Excellent posit...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Izi

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed a lovely stay with us and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and post such a positive review! I will be certainb to personally pass on your feedback and my praise to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!