“Must be worst hotel in mc donald portfolio” 3 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Ayrshire, United Kingdom
“Must be worst hotel in mc donald portfolio”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I usually stay in the indigo hotel birmingham but decided to give the burlington a try not because of the price which was not worth it but because of the mc donald name hotel rooms badly need refurbishment walls peeling and cracking floors not even. Also air con non existent I would not consider staying again until hotel was refurbished only good thing was location

Room Tip: Try not to get a front room as the work on the station opposite starts early also noise from staion...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear maxwellScotland

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion I can only assume you were allocated one of our older bedrooms, although I fully appreciate this should not detract from the expectation that basic maintenance standards should be in place. I have discussed your feedback in detail with our maintenance manager so the appropriate interim remedial works can be undertaken to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Derek McDonagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here for one night when in Birmingham for work. Was deeply impressed given some of the reviews indicated this may be a disappointment.
Had a single Executive Room and although "single" was literal, the room was small, it was extremely comfortable and immaculately clean.
Room service took a little while and meal was lukewarm on arrival, however, all that aside the overall service was pleasant and good. Location is excellent for train station and shops.
Would definitely stay here again and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Glo S

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to learn overall you enjoyed your stay with us!

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated a larger room. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Although we did only stay here one night, the service we received was very good. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, the room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel was situated just across the road from the train station, which was ideal for us as my husband cannot walk too far. The shops were also just outside the hotel.
The only down side was the bacon at breakfast, it was overcooked and hard. But this would certainly not deter me from choosing this hotel again. Thank you for your staffs polite service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Helensbid

I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular I was delighted to note you found all my staff very helpful and received good service throughout your stay. Thank you so much for your kind comments, which I will be sure to share with them!

I am sorry to hear the bacon you were presented with at breakfast was not up to our usual high standards and I have addressed this with our Head Chef who has especially asked to be associated with my apology.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at the Macdonald Burlington Hotel in March with my husband and 2 children. We stayed in 2 VERY large adjoining rooms, the beds were massive and very comfortable, we had everything we should need in the bedroom and bathroom, it was immaculately clean throughout. When we needed anything including a cot and milk bought to our room we were met with a very prompt and polite service. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and helped orientate us to the hotel, City and shopping areas. We ate our dinner in the hotel restaurant which was good quality and value, the children were given activity packs to keep them entertained between courses and the waiting staff were helpful and welcoming to families. We enjoyed the same level of experience at Breakfast with fantastic service and a vast range of breakfast items on offer. The waiting staff were always mindful of the table filling up with used crockery and quick to clear it away. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would highly recommend this hotel for its central location to the shopping area and the excellent standard of service, cleanliness and comfort. We look forward to staying again!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Thebears12

I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your kind comments! We are very proud of the Team and how they all work to deliver exceptional customer service. I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them.

The two rooms you were allocated are very popular with families and in order to secure them, I would recommend booking as early as possible to avoid any potential disappointment. Next time you wish to book please contact me directly and I will endeavor to allocate you the same bedrooms. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!.

Dublin,Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed in the hotel with my wife while attending a family function nearby. The location is excellent, right beside New Street station and in the centre of town for shopping.The hotel itself is old and there are quite a few areas where money should be spent on upgrading, such as worn carpets,old bathroom fittings etc.but it is still quite nice inside with a nice sense of grandeur about it. The beds were comfortable and the floor we stayed on was mostly quiet.
I was dissapointed by the staff who seemed to be trying very hard to appear serious all of the time (which actually comes across as grumpiness).They could try smiling and at least appear a bit more friendly.
However, there was an incident in our room with some nails sticking out of the carpet which was sorted out promptly by the girl at reception and she also left two vouchers in our room for breakfast by way of compensation which I thought was a very nice gesture.
I would recommend the hotel for it's location and it is reasonably comfortable, but I would price around as there may be better value available.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear pw46

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am extremely disappointed to learn of your disappointment with my team. As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, this is an area we usually excel in throughout the hotel. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion, this appears not to have been the case for you and I have shared your feedback with the team to highlight the importance of delivering exceptional customer service to all guests at all times.

May I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for any discomfort caused as a result of the nails you found in the carpet in your bedroom. I am pleased to note this was quickly rectified to your satisfaction by my reception team and would like to take this opportunity to assure you I have also reviewed your feedback in detail with my maintenance and housekeeping managers. A full check of all our bedrooms has now been carried out to ensure any similar incident could be avoided in the future.

I do hop this isolated experience will not deter you from using us again!

Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Excellent hotel.

Nice staff, big large rooms(and bathroom) and very comfortable beds!!
And to top it all of the location is just right next to the train station and the high street!!
I Will return here!!as really enjoyed staying at the hotel.It was very clean with lots of old features in the building

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kellyjeynes

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review. I am delighted to learn you really enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here at least 10 times before . I asked for big room for 4 of us. Was assured by phone I would be given largest suite. Was given small suite unlike previous visits. The double bed was missing a leg/coaster so was lob sided We were looking out on new street which was noisy at night
Shame guy on reception made a promise that he couldn't deliver on with the room
Hotel is very well situated for shopping and trains etc

Stayed April 2014
Dear david939

I am so sorry on this occasion we appear to have let you down. Some of our bedrooms are very popular and unfortunately we are not always able to allocate specific bedrooms on request, although I do I fully appreciate we should deliver on promises made. I have discussed your feedback in detail with my reception team to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

I do hope this isolated experience will not deter you from using us again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book, and should you have a particular favorite bedroom I will endeavor to allocate it to you . I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We do hope you will allow us the opportunity of extending our hospitality to you again soon!