“Business Traveller”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed there shortly last week and met a colleague, unfortunately the bar was under refurb so missed an opportunity there, very grand, articulately clean hotel, room was upgraded on arrival so pleased, the best pillows ever, would recommend if travelling into new street train station as its literally built into it, the trams are being built around it at the moment but easily accessible. would definitely stay there again x

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Belinda A

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review.

Derek McDonagh

Write a ReviewReviews (3,040)

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I have recently stayed for business several times at this hotel. I have to say that the staff there have given me the best service I have experienced in a hotel. I ate alone in the restaurant and was made to feel extremely welcome by the staff here. I was away from my young baby for the first time and reception arranged for me to have an extra hour in my room to express milk between meetings on checkout day. Every member of staff was polite and welcoming and made my stay much happier and easier. Being new to Birmingham the location was fabulous. I am considering returning here for a city break with my family.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear BethanyF

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review and for your very kind comments about my team! I am delighted to learn and I am very proud they delivered the best service you have ever experienced in a hotel. I will be sure to pass on your comments as I know how much it will mean to them. Thank you!

Next time you wish to book, please contact me directly and I will ensure you enjoy another comfortable and most enjoyable stay. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to seeing you, and hopefully meeting your family, again soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stay in this hotel regularly as it is located close to conference facilities used by my company. I had problems in October last year whilst the hotel was refurbishing the kitchen as their food service and standard was dire. I complained and the Manager said he would upgrade me on my next stay.
When I returned recently he did upgrade me to a huge room and I noticed that the quality of food had improved significantly. The vegetarian choices are still limited though. Overall the hotel is central to the shops and station but nothing spectacular for the business traveller.

Dear Mena999

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry to learn of your previous experience in October; however, I am pleased my team upgraded your bedroom on this occasion and that you noted a significant improvement in the quality of our food offering. We do listen to customer feedback and through such strive to improve our product and service for the future.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I usually stay in the indigo hotel birmingham but decided to give the burlington a try not because of the price which was not worth it but because of the mc donald name hotel rooms badly need refurbishment walls peeling and cracking floors not even. Also air con non existent I would not consider staying again until hotel was refurbished only good thing was location

Room Tip: Try not to get a front room as the work on the station opposite starts early also noise from staion...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear maxwellScotland

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion I can only assume you were allocated one of our older bedrooms, although I fully appreciate this should not detract from the expectation that basic maintenance standards should be in place. I have discussed your feedback in detail with our maintenance manager so the appropriate interim remedial works can be undertaken to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here for one night when in Birmingham for work. Was deeply impressed given some of the reviews indicated this may be a disappointment.
Had a single Executive Room and although "single" was literal, the room was small, it was extremely comfortable and immaculately clean.
Room service took a little while and meal was lukewarm on arrival, however, all that aside the overall service was pleasant and good. Location is excellent for train station and shops.
Would definitely stay here again and would definitely recommend.

Dear Glo S

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to learn overall you enjoyed your stay with us!

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated a larger room. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Although we did only stay here one night, the service we received was very good. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, the room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel was situated just across the road from the train station, which was ideal for us as my husband cannot walk too far. The shops were also just outside the hotel.
The only down side was the bacon at breakfast, it was overcooked and hard. But this would certainly not deter me from choosing this hotel again. Thank you for your staffs polite service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Helensbid

I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular I was delighted to note you found all my staff very helpful and received good service throughout your stay. Thank you so much for your kind comments, which I will be sure to share with them!

I am sorry to hear the bacon you were presented with at breakfast was not up to our usual high standards and I have addressed this with our Head Chef who has especially asked to be associated with my apology.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at the Macdonald Burlington Hotel in March with my husband and 2 children. We stayed in 2 VERY large adjoining rooms, the beds were massive and very comfortable, we had everything we should need in the bedroom and bathroom, it was immaculately clean throughout. When we needed anything including a cot and milk bought to our room we were met with a very prompt and polite service. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and helped orientate us to the hotel, City and shopping areas. We ate our dinner in the hotel restaurant which was good quality and value, the children were given activity packs to keep them entertained between courses and the waiting staff were helpful and welcoming to families. We enjoyed the same level of experience at Breakfast with fantastic service and a vast range of breakfast items on offer. The waiting staff were always mindful of the table filling up with used crockery and quick to clear it away. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would highly recommend this hotel for its central location to the shopping area and the excellent standard of service, cleanliness and comfort. We look forward to staying again!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Thebears12

I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your kind comments! We are very proud of the Team and how they all work to deliver exceptional customer service. I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them.

The two rooms you were allocated are very popular with families and in order to secure them, I would recommend booking as early as possible to avoid any potential disappointment. Next time you wish to book please contact me directly and I will endeavor to allocate you the same bedrooms. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!.