“good 4 star”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Just came backfrom staying here on Business. Overall I wasvery happy . I had a very good sized room but looking at the floor plan all the rooms were different sized and there were some really small ones so unsure how they decide who gets what but I think I was lucky. My bedroom was in victorian style - they also have contempory as well I was told. Large Bathroom which showed signs of age but overall clean and spacious. The shower seemed to have two temperatures cold or burning but you were warned on a sign in bathrooom so no accidents at least , the Tv had the standard channels and my wake up calls were on time.
As I was alone on Business I intended for the first night to have room service however this did not happen as the menu us limited and expensive for what it is. Therefore I ate in the restaurant and was waitered on hand and foot. The price was good the food was amazing and it was quiet with a lovely view over the main shopping streeet I believe for good people watching oportunities! The waiters could not do enought for you so it was a lovely experience. The other main bonus of the hotel is its location - 2 mins from the station , i agree it was hard to find initially as I do not know B'ham and it was dark and rainy , but once I got there it has an amazing presence to it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,040)

Reviewed 23 September 2008

Stayed here on an overnight business trip.

Very impressed with the hotel - its location is perfect for train arrivals to New Street - literally a minute or so...

Located in a small arcade I did find the reception/entrance a bit confusing to locate at first. Lifts are available.

My room was extremely spacious, clean and well turned out, and the bed comfortable.

Absolutely no complaints - bottled water, good quality biscuits and tea/coffee/herbal sachets (its those little touches right?). Would definately stay again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Spent a day and an evening here for business. Staff were good, and the rooms were excellent as well.

Lunch during the workshop I was organising was on the small side and the night porter didn't know how to connect a call to my room.

But overall a nice pleasant stay. One of my preferred hotels in Brum.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank the_bear_1
Reviewed 5 August 2008

an excellent 2 star hotel, but a very poor 4 star. if youre going to pay these prices, go to the hyatt off broad street.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2008

what a solid gold nugget! We stayed in so called 4 star hotels before but at last we've found one that is worthy of the name.
From the friendly helpful staff, brilliant room, great breakfast, ideal location, this is going to sound like a promo for the hotel, but believe me this is one place that you should check out. We have already recommended this hotel to all our friends.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scrinch
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I was staying at the Burligton for one night on business.
This is possibly the poorest UK 4 star hotel I have ever stayed in. I arrived and was given room 217, when I opened the door the smell of cooking grease/fat was overpowering. When I looked out the window I understood why... the room was directly beside the hotels's vents, drains, and pipes. Vile smell and rotten view. The room was traditional and quite shabby. I contacted reception immediately and requested to be moved due to the smell, they told me they did not have any other rooms. I went to get my colleague and when we re-entered the room to get my bags, someone had obviously been in and sprayed a few litres of air freshener everywhere, this mixed with the chip fat was making us gag!. I went to reception and a room had magically appeared but it was a single, not the double my company had booked and paid for. I took it as this was my last resort. Second smallest room next to Birmingham Thistle @ Edgbaston, but at least it didn't smell like a chip shop!. We then asked where the pool and gym were located as this was advertised on the hotel website. We were told that the hotel does not have a pool and the gym was currently closed for refurbishment. The shower was an experience, you had the choice of ice-cold or scalding hot. One tea-bag and sugar in room. Breakfast didn't have a great selection and what choice there was, (fruit, yoghurt etc) was left out on a table, and failing health and safety standards was not covered nor refrigerated. Overall, hotel was old, dirty and shabby, decades past it's sell by date. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank 5starUk
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Booked a 'feature' room through the hotel's special 3 for 2 rate, the price was fair although the room was quite tired but was large with a nice sitting room.

Seems the owners are constantly spending money on this hotel doing small updates but it really does need a lot more spending on it, the water system is poor, shower was terrible and you were either burnt or had a cold shower no in between. The bed was comfortable but the linen was also past its best.

Had breakfast during the stay and it was of high quality, also the staff in the restaurant and reception were very friendly. In all the Burlington really is in need of a complete refurb - its a shame as what was once a beautiful classic hotel with great history is really now quite run down.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple