“Lovely hotel but a bit dated”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Lovely hotel but a bit dated”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I liked my stay here - breakfast was lovely, but my room was a little grotty!

My pet hate in a hotel is a grubby looking bathroom when the sealant is worn and discoloured and this was the problem here. It was clean but looked grubby and it is quite off-putting.

My room was quite far away from the main part of the hotel and I felt very isolated - it was almost creepy!! I slept well enough though.

If I had been here for a break I would have complained about my room but I was here for work so didnt bother as much.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JGCMorrison
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear JGCMorrison

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased overall you though our hotel was lovely; however, I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room.

We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion I can only assume you were allocated one of our older bedrooms, although I fully appreciate this should not detract from the expectation that basic maintenance standards should be in place. I have discussed your feedback in detail with our maintenance manager so the appropriate interim remedial works can be undertaken to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated one of our newer bedrooms. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Derek McDonagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Visited the restaurant with 15 guests whilst attending an exhibition at the NEC. The menu had a good selection to suit all tastes. The service was very good and all were served with a great deal of attention and politeness from the staff. The food was very well presented and of excellent quality. Good value for money given the venues position in Birmingham centre.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Countrymen
Dear Countrymen

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your meal and the service received from my staff in our Scottish Steak Club restaurant. Where many other hotels, hotel chains and restaurants are de-skilling and buying ingredients pre-cooked or prepared from frozen, our chefs work from whole raw ingredients using only the finest and freshest produce. True to our Scottish heritage, the beef we serve comes from fully accredited Scottish Farms and supplied to us by Scotbeef, suppliers to the highest quality retailers in the country.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in an executive suite and it was perfect, service was wonderful, breakfast was lovely and room service were great. The front of house were so helpful and nothing was a problem, truly good service. I would definitely recommend this hotel, as the location is perfect for Birmingham City centre, A faultless stay and very relaxing.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emily M
Dear Emily M

I am delighted to learn you really enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you so much for your kind comments about my team! I will be sure to pass on you feedback to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My partner and I always stay here when visiting Birmingham even thou we live near in Coventry as it is very good value for money, great location next to New Street and New Street Station, breakfast is good and the rooms are spotless with very very comfy beds.
Staff are always helpful on reception and when booking.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MrsG0884

I am really pleased to hear you continue to return to us, enjoyed another enjoyable stay and in particular always find my team very helpful. Thank you so much for posting such a positive review!

We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Ostrava, Czech Republic
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised around every corner in this marvelous hotel. Very comfy and very British. Brace yourself for a superb meals (few of the best I've ever eaten, oh god and the breakfast!!) and hospital atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Petr S

I am so pleased you found the hotel to your liking and I am delighted to learn you enjoyed the meals you experienced in our restaurant.

The Burlington Hotel was originally the Midland Hotel which serviced New Street Station dating back to circa 1870 and is steeped in History and original features all adding to its character, which is sadly lacking in many of today’s newly built modern hotels.

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Arrived at New St Station early afternoon, once outside the station it took 2 seconds to get to the hotel which is adjacent to the station, absolutely perfect. Reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful, unfortunately the lift was broken the entire weekend but our luggage was taken up to our room on arriving and brought down on departure. Room was simple but met our needs, only downside was we didnt get much sleep due to night time revellers screaming and shouting on the main thoroughfare beneath our window up untill 5am and then road maintenance drilling at 7am..
Breakfast was lovely, included continental and cereaks, fruit which was help yourself, and then a cooked breakfast which was ordered at your table. This hotel was so central that you walked out onto all shops including the bullring and even the odeon cinema a few doors down, fab x

Room Tip: If you want an undusturbed sleep i would suggest a room to the rear of hotel and not on the main str...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Beverley T

Thank you for taking the time to post your review!

I am happy to learn overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular I was pleased to note you found my reception team extremely friendly and helpful. I will be sure to share you your feedback with them as I know they will be encouraged by your kind comments.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced due to our lift breakdown. Unfortunately the breakdown was out of our control and I assure you we were working tirelessly throughout the weekend with our contracted lift engineers to bring the lift back it to service as soon as possible.

I am also sorry to learn of the noise disturbances you experienced. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated a quieter room. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

Wombourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Burlington at Christmas in an executive Double, the room was wonderful and despite overlooking the High Street and Christmas Market it was wonderfully quite with a large bathroom. The bar and restaurant were great quality and breakfast was wonderful. The staff were pleasant (especially Richard) and we would recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: The Corner rooms were large with views of the Christmas market
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Sophie D

I am delighted you loved your stay and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast with us during the festive period. Thank you so much for your kind comments about my team! I will be sure to pass on your feedback to them, especially Richard.

We hope to see you again soon!