“Great location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location with New street Railway station on the doorstep and the famous Bullring shopping centre just a few minutes walk away. Lots of good bars and restaurants and the ICC and Symphony Hall just a ten minute walk. The hotel is quite old fashioned and probably a little bit dated. You also need to watch the price if you get a chap deal that includes breakfast you wont be too disappointed but if you pay a hefty price and get a standard room with interior view (no actual view) then you will be very disgruntled. Positives for this hotel are the excellent staff and the very good breakfast. Excellent pressure on the rain shower. Negatives the standard room we had left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. Avoid the standard inside rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear sandra a

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular enjoyed our breakfast offering and the service received from my team; however, I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated one of our newer bedrooms. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
Winwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here on business for one night and found it to be more than adequate for the purpose. All staff were pleasant and polite and the breakfast staff especially attentive and helpful. Had buffet lunch and 3 course dinner in the hotel which was nice taking into account the number of people being catered for 100+. Bedroom was spacious and bathroom ultra modern. Slight down side was that room was chilly and heating was not on, but this wasn't a big issue. Generally hotel was spotless and lovely and light and airy. Couldn't be more convenient for train station and shops etc. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Julie W

I am so pleased you found all my staff pleasant and polite and I will be sure to pass on you feedback to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very disappointed in our room it is very dated and quite grubby. Furniture and fittings well past their best Having stayed here before we appreciate the great location. Staying in a room that is quite a jaunt from reception not helpful with heels .
The reception staff were very helpful and pleasant however when we asked if their was an alternative room due to the noise from the street the alternatives offered appeared to be no better. Must point out at this time we did not mention how grubby we felt the room was. This is definitely not a 4 star hotel and would rather stay at a better hotel and taxi in in future

Room Tip: Ask to a refurbished room
1 Thank Tracyj65m60
Dear Tracyj65m60

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay and I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very pleasant, relaxed hotel in City Centre. All staff we met were very friendly and helpful and made our stay. Excellent location in what must be one of the best City destinations to visit in the UK. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Executive room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank Graham And Susa... A
Dear Graham And Susa... A

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your kind comments about my team! I will be sure to pass on you feedback to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We hope to see you again soon!

Dormagen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Pleasant stay in the city centre, albeit noisy from New Street station building site. Decor a little dated. The room was very comfortable, rather unsure whether the free sparking water in fact was.
wide selection of breakfast, although spread over two rooms, the buffet in one room and the tables in another. Personnel ALL very helpful. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Select second floor with an even numbered room.
Dear alexingohr

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us and in particular found all my team very helpful!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and post your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a brilliant 3-night stay to celebrate our 'Wedding Anniversary'.
Every aspect of the service, accommodation and food during our stay was of a very high standard !
We particularly appreciated the service of the staff in the Reception and Restaurant !
The only negative aspect of our visit was the need to use a nearby 'Public Car Park' (which proved to be more expensive than we had anticipated) and meant carrying our bags approx quarter of a mile at the beginning and end of our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David_Harwood
Dear David_Harwood

Congratulations for your wedding anniversary!

Thank you so much for your kind comments! I am delighted to learn my team looked after you and will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them!

With regards to our car parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel, and the New Street NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. To avail of the negotiated rates tickets must be validated at reception prior to departure, I am sorry that on this occasion this appears not to have been explained to you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reading, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Birmingham on Saturday morning and decided to hit the shops. It was very busy in the Bull Ring so it was wonderful to escape and find the hotel just a short walk away, along an attractive pedestrianised road with a range of different shops.
Check in was brilliant. The staff we welcoming, personable and so helpful - describing locatuons of certain shops, suggesting restaurants and bars and offering to reserve tables for us. Just what we needed after a long day and in a city we didn't know!
Within 5 minutes of being in the room (which was relatively small but perfectly adequate) we received a call checking that the room was Ok. This has never happened to us before and was a great touch.
We took the bar and restaurant recommendations and they arranged everything for us so we were welcomed warmly in each place.
Yes cosmetically it is a little tired but it was clean and I would take friendly, helpful staff over fresh paint any time.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Stephanie S

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and post such a positive review! I am very proud of my team and the exceptional customer service they deliver; I will be certain to personally pass on your kind comments to them.

Please contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated a larger bedroom. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.