“CENTRAL TO TRAIN STATION, GRAND HOTEL”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I arrived by train into Birmingham new street station and this hotel is literally next to the station, there was rather a lot of roadworks as the tram line is being installed, grand hotel, sweeping staircase , full of character, lovely large room, bed has lots of real fluffy pillows, bathroom roomy too with great walk in shower. very clean and airy, enjoyed my time in Birmingham here at the Burlington hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear mercgalbling

I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us at the Burlington and thank you so much for taking the time to post your review!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Staff were lovely, food was excellent and quick, rooms were clean and what you would expect, the shampoo was lovely. Good internet, the only downside is as it's in the centre of town there was some noise from revellers at 4a.m. but that was the only downside. Right in front of Birmingham New Street Station and ideal for shopping. Very pleased overall

1  Thank Kim833

Dear Kim833

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for taking the time to post your review; however, I am very sorry to learn of the external noise disturbances you experienced.

Next time you wish to book, please contact me directly and I will ensure you are allocated a room in a quieter area of the hotel. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel last year and was very pleased with the room, location and facilties. The staff on reception are great and a credit to the hotel.

The food is always of a high quality, and breakfast (choice and varity) is great.

My mixed feelings came from the room. The room I had this year was at the rear of the hotel backing onto the station. Being a city centre location, noise will always be a feature (it's a credit in these times of austerity that roads are swept and bins emptied so early each day). I was disappointed by the room itself. It was certainly not as clean or fresh as the one I had previously, although the shower was excellent. The bed was very soft, the chairs were droopy and the feel of the room was drab. My rating of very good is based on the overall experience of the hotel, but if it was based on room alone, then it would be average.

1  Thank Sharon C

Dear Sharon C

I am very pleased you decided to choose us for a second visit and enjoyed some aspects of your stay; however, I am very disappointed to learn on this occasion we did not quite meet your expectations and unfortunately your experience fell short when compared to your first visit.

Next time you wish to book, please contact me directly and I will ensure you are allocated a bedroom more to your liking. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I do hope you will allow me the opportunity of extending our hospitality to you once again!

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stay here every time we come to Birmingham for the beauty show at the nec. We stay here because it's mainly convenient and very close to the station. But I wouldn't by far say it's the best. Rooms are very dated and run down we stayed in room 233 and the curtains were falling off and didn't close together. There is no netting or blind in the bathroom windows it needs something. As I went to get in the bed I pulled back the covers to find a massive sucken hole in the mattress. So my mum and I decided to turn the matress over, as i pulled the bed out the wooden headboard fell off,to my disbelief it was hanging on the wall resting on two small screws. Where as the other bed had the headbord screwed into the wall mine was resting on them.This is so dangerous to b fair I'm glad if fell off when it did as if it would have fallen off in the night it could have been a safety issue it scared me so I left it on the floor. The reception staff are lovely and very helpful over all the night stay was ok but it really is time they re vamp the Burlington. ..

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Fluffybunny27

I am delighted you continue to return to us; however, on this occasion I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room and the maintenance shortfalls you experienced.

We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion you were allocated one of our older standard bedrooms, although I fully appreciate this should not detract from the expectation that basic maintenance standards should be in place. I have discussed your feedback in detail with our maintenance manager so the appropriate interim remedial works can be undertaken to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated one of our newer bedrooms. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back for your fifth visit soon!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location with New street Railway station on the doorstep and the famous Bullring shopping centre just a few minutes walk away. Lots of good bars and restaurants and the ICC and Symphony Hall just a ten minute walk. The hotel is quite old fashioned and probably a little bit dated. You also need to watch the price if you get a chap deal that includes breakfast you wont be too disappointed but if you pay a hefty price and get a standard room with interior view (no actual view) then you will be very disgruntled. Positives for this hotel are the excellent staff and the very good breakfast. Excellent pressure on the rain shower. Negatives the standard room we had left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. Avoid the standard inside rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear sandra a

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular enjoyed our breakfast offering and the service received from my team; however, I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here on business for one night and found it to be more than adequate for the purpose. All staff were pleasant and polite and the breakfast staff especially attentive and helpful. Had buffet lunch and 3 course dinner in the hotel which was nice taking into account the number of people being catered for 100+. Bedroom was spacious and bathroom ultra modern. Slight down side was that room was chilly and heating was not on, but this wasn't a big issue. Generally hotel was spotless and lovely and light and airy. Couldn't be more convenient for train station and shops etc. Would definitely stay again.

Dear Julie W

I am so pleased you found all my staff pleasant and polite and I will be sure to pass on you feedback to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very disappointed in our room it is very dated and quite grubby. Furniture and fittings well past their best Having stayed here before we appreciate the great location. Staying in a room that is quite a jaunt from reception not helpful with heels .
The reception staff were very helpful and pleasant however when we asked if their was an alternative room due to the noise from the street the alternatives offered appeared to be no better. Must point out at this time we did not mention how grubby we felt the room was. This is definitely not a 4 star hotel and would rather stay at a better hotel and taxi in in future

Room Tip: Ask to a refurbished room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracyj65m60

Dear Tracyj65m60

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay and I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.