“Disappointed, but great location.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Burlington Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Disappointed, but great location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Food okay but disappointed at the fact you had to leave the dining room to get bread, fruit, etc.
Room on third floor, very long walk along several corridors and upstairs before finally reaching the room. Bathroom rather shabby, view from window (small) great if you like to see different types of air conditioning units(?) etc and the sky.
Pillow cases very clean, however, actual pillow had several hairs - not ours.
No hot water last Friday morning, perhaps due to false fire alarm the night before!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank archer209

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

On the plus side - Great location. Fantastic breakfast. Brilliant staff especially Richard at reception. However the hotel is hard to get to - central Birmingham is currently a massive workinprogress as the roads are all up to install a new Metro line. So you can't drive to it, and the car park is some way away. A long way if you have heavy luggage. Satnav doesn't help much either. The hotel is a little tired and our room was very hot - adjusting the aircon made no difference. That said we would stay again but perhaps when the hotel is more accessible.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul C
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

4 star Hotel 5star service 5star food 5 star staff 5 star well you you get the picture my first vist however back in nov and march and looking forward to that reminds me very much of the Barclay in New York

Room Tip: when in Birmingham stay at the Burlington
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ronnie557
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I arrived by train into Birmingham new street station and this hotel is literally next to the station, there was rather a lot of roadworks as the tram line is being installed, grand hotel, sweeping staircase , full of character, lovely large room, bed has lots of real fluffy pillows, bathroom roomy too with great walk in shower. very clean and airy, enjoyed my time in Birmingham here at the Burlington hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear mercgalbling

I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us at the Burlington and thank you so much for taking the time to post your review!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Staff were lovely, food was excellent and quick, rooms were clean and what you would expect, the shampoo was lovely. Good internet, the only downside is as it's in the centre of town there was some noise from revellers at 4a.m. but that was the only downside. Right in front of Birmingham New Street Station and ideal for shopping. Very pleased overall

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kim833
Dear Kim833

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for taking the time to post your review; however, I am very sorry to learn of the external noise disturbances you experienced.

Next time you wish to book, please contact me directly and I will ensure you are allocated a room in a quieter area of the hotel. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We hope to see you again soon!

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel last year and was very pleased with the room, location and facilties. The staff on reception are great and a credit to the hotel.

The food is always of a high quality, and breakfast (choice and varity) is great.

My mixed feelings came from the room. The room I had this year was at the rear of the hotel backing onto the station. Being a city centre location, noise will always be a feature (it's a credit in these times of austerity that roads are swept and bins emptied so early each day). I was disappointed by the room itself. It was certainly not as clean or fresh as the one I had previously, although the shower was excellent. The bed was very soft, the chairs were droopy and the feel of the room was drab. My rating of very good is based on the overall experience of the hotel, but if it was based on room alone, then it would be average.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon C
Dear Sharon C

I am very pleased you decided to choose us for a second visit and enjoyed some aspects of your stay; however, I am very disappointed to learn on this occasion we did not quite meet your expectations and unfortunately your experience fell short when compared to your first visit.

Next time you wish to book, please contact me directly and I will ensure you are allocated a bedroom more to your liking. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I do hope you will allow me the opportunity of extending our hospitality to you once again!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stay here every time we come to Birmingham for the beauty show at the nec. We stay here because it's mainly convenient and very close to the station. But I wouldn't by far say it's the best. Rooms are very dated and run down we stayed in room 233 and the curtains were falling off and didn't close together. There is no netting or blind in the bathroom windows it needs something. As I went to get in the bed I pulled back the covers to find a massive sucken hole in the mattress. So my mum and I decided to turn the matress over, as i pulled the bed out the wooden headboard fell off,to my disbelief it was hanging on the wall resting on two small screws. Where as the other bed had the headbord screwed into the wall mine was resting on them.This is so dangerous to b fair I'm glad if fell off when it did as if it would have fallen off in the night it could have been a safety issue it scared me so I left it on the floor. The reception staff are lovely and very helpful over all the night stay was ok but it really is time they re vamp the Burlington. ..

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Fluffybunny27

I am delighted you continue to return to us; however, on this occasion I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room and the maintenance shortfalls you experienced.

We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion you were allocated one of our older standard bedrooms, although I fully appreciate this should not detract from the expectation that basic maintenance standards should be in place. I have discussed your feedback in detail with our maintenance manager so the appropriate interim remedial works can be undertaken to ensure any future disappointment could be avoided.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated one of our newer bedrooms. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back for your fifth visit soon!