“Location is a shoppers delight”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Parking is at the new street NCP approx 10 min walk (I walk slow) and quite easy to find. Checked in early as the room was ready, lady at reception was very helpful which could leave us to our days shopping at the bullring very close by. The room (a suite) was very well equipped, overlooking the busy shoppers on the Main Street but quiet enough. Bed was very comfortable, shower ok and staff did all they could to help. We didn't eat there as there are many places to choose from close by. On checking out the hotel they validated our parking ticket which cost us £6 in total for the 24 hour stay, much better than stated £24 on the price board at the car park so thank you Macdonald Burlington.

Room Tip: If you're getting there early and travelling by car take your bags from the car park to the hote...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Glenbevis

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such kind comments!

We believe our location could not be any better; located in the very heart of Birmingham, with world-class shopping and entertainment just a short walk from the hotel. If you have the opportunity, I would personally recommend a re-visit towards the end of November, or in December for Christmas shopping with the German Market literally right on our doorstep and a must visit before Christmas.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (3,040)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have used this Hotel regularly for leisure stays. Cheryl was particularly helpful and polite.
I had a delightful spacious room which was immaculate.
In recognition of my repeat business Cheryl upgraded my room and included a free breakfast which was a lovely gesture.
Would stay here again and would highly recommend.
Steven

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Steven50228
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Steven50228

I am delighted to learn Cheryl looked after you during your stay and thank you so much for your kind comments! I will be sure to personally pass your feedback on to Cheryl.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. the hotel is quite old fashioned which is quite nice. The staff were friendly and helpful and the chap that booked me in upgraded me to a double room which was great. The room however was a bit tired and had large brown stains on the ceiling. Breakfast was a buffet and I had scrambled eggs, unfortunately they were a bit rubbery despite asking for fluffy eggs. the bar shut at 10:45 without calling last orders which is not good for a city centre.

The hotel is not car friendly and is a bit of a walk from the nearest car park - which is not good if you have a lot of stuff.

Room Tip: Arrive by train
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Salmo01
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Salmo01

I was delighted to note on arrival you were greeted in a friendly manner by our receptionist; however, I am very disappointed to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

I would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I came here with my partner a couple of weeks ago for a work related awards dinner. The room was lovely with a traditional feel to it, bar a few minor aesthetic issues (crack in the celing and grease stains on the walls) it was a good stay. Great location as you walk out of the hotel and you're on New Street and the train station is right around the corner. The breakfast was delicious and the staff were very helpful. I would recommend for a short stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MDburlington, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Fran S
It is always such a pleasure to welcome organisations to our Hotel for their special Award ceremonies, such a positive atmosphere and congratulations to all the Winners and Nominees!
I am delighted most aspects of your stay were to our usual high standard. We also take on board your comments regarding the walls and the ceiling. Our planned painting of these areas commences during the first week of July.
We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights while we took in the Good Food Show at the NEC.

They have revamped New Street Station, which means that the entrance to this hotel is now only about a 2 minute walk from the station and New Street shopping area is right on the doorstep and as such the Bull Ring Shopping Centre is a 5 min walk away.

The staff on reception were very welcoming and chatty, as were all the staff we encountered. We had booked the hotel through LastMinute.com so it was on Room Only basis, but we were immediatly given vouchers for discounted breakfast (£10.00 instead of £17.50)

The room was nice enough, decent size with reasonably good light and massive bed with awesome pillows. Bathroom probably had the best shower I've seen for ages, one of these massive showerheads that had a lot of power so for once you got a decent shower.

The one complaint we had about the room was the air-con, it simply didn't work. They may as well not bothered having it. But we told reception and they immediately sent up a fan. So very good service.

We only eat in the hotel for breakfast and it was very good and well worth the £10.00.

So if you want a hotel that has good locations to Train Station and for Shopping, which also has great staff and nearby pubs and restaurants and isn't overly expensive then you won't go far wrong with this one

Highly recommended and we will return, but probably not in the height of summer unless they get the air-con problem fixed

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisFarrington

Dear Chrisfarrington

I am delighted to receive your comments in particular in relation to the bedroom, in February 2014 the Macdonald Hotel won first place in the UK for Best Hotel Pillows in the “Fluffies” Awards !
I do sincerely apologise for the Air Con not working to its usual high standard. We have invested substantially in this area this year before the hot weather arrived which makes it even more disappointing. Our Maintenance Manager has rectified the issue in this bedroom and I am very confident on your next visit you will not experience this issue again.
I fully appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Burlington Hotel is our first choice when we visit Birmingham to attend a show and to shop the following day.

As the shows begin quite early on in the evening it is so refreshing to be able to enjoy an excellent evening meal served in good time with time to enjoy an after dinner coffee. Just let the restaurant know you need to leave early to see a show, and no problem. The food is great and presentation excellent.

This hotel is virtually opposite New Street Station and this does away with parking the car and no cases to be lugged through the town. The theatres are within walking distance. However, if you do wish to take the car, the hotel provides reduced parking vouchers .

Room Tip: All rooms we have used have been good
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Maratharose7

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. The Team at the Burlington is very proud to read such a nice review. I will personally pass on your comments to Chef and our Restaurant Team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel when you next attend the Theatre…..

Best regards

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel on 25th May for our 35th Wedding Anniversary. The staff were the best that I have ever encountered in this country. Welcoming and more than happy to oblige. Anna in the restaurant was a little gem. Our room was gorgeous and the food top class.

They made our Anniversary a very special occasion, would certainly recommend this hotel. Also a great position for exploring Birmingham.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a roll top bath!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Christina T

Happy 35th Wedding Anniversary! I am thrilled to read your comments and in particular I will ensure Anna is singled out for praise. We are so proud of our fantastic Team who genuinely enjoy delivering exceptional customer service.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Burlington Hotel again very soon.
Our Roll Top Baths are certainly very popular!

Best regards