“Opulent weekend”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Opulent weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here for three nights in an executive double room, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Staff were very professional, and pleasant. Our room was lovely, the bed was comfortable, bathroom clean, with plenty of space.While there is a large price tag on the room, it was perfect for a nice weekend getaway. It is a NICE hotel, not just somewhere to store your bags and put your head down for the night, but somewhere to go and enjoy on its own merits. It was lovely just walking from our room on the third floor to the restaurant on the first, the décor was very pleasant.
As other reviews have said it is in a very central location, great for shopping. Our first night there we did eat out due to arriving too late for dinner at the hotel, but there are several restaurants located just a short walk away. Would be ideal travelling here by train though, as New Street Station is just opposite.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Woistmeinkopf
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Woistmeinkopf

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the hotel and my team! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warmest regards

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I contacted MacDonald hotels via there internet sight to ask about booking and if they offered a discount to the Armed Forces. Twice I have no tried and recieved an automated query response saying I would have a reply shortly. No reply negative or positive. Very poor.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank John R
Dear John R

I am very sorry and extremely disappointed to learn you did not receive a response to your query!

I believe the Deputy General Manager, James Bee, has now been in contact with you directly. I trust he has reassured you this is not the usual standard you can expect from Macdonald Hotel and I truly hope your experience will not deter you from using us in the future.

We hope to have the opportunity extending you a warm welcome to the hotel for a stay with us soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Went for the weekend. I had e mailed a couple of weeks ago and asked for a nice view and room as the occasion was my husbands birthday weekend away. We had booked an executive double room. The room was long and narrow with not much space to move around ,the nets needed washing, the windows were difficult to open and the view was over dingy rooftops, pipes and bird netting. At breakfast I asked for boiled eggs and soldiers which were on the menu, the waitress brough the eggs in a sauce pot as she said she couldn't find any egg cups, my husband had the full English with soggy black pudding and mushrooms, thank goodness it was included as we would have felt ripped off at paying £17 each for this, further insult if you want kippers or eggs benedict as these are extra at £2.50 each even though we paid £100 for the room. The whole hotel is tired and dated and the staff in an attempt to act professionally come over as aloof. On the plus side the hotel is well situated in the shopping centre and within walking distance of the Bullring and the Mailbox. We have stayed at Mcdonald hotels before in Bowness and Stratford upon Avon and have been more than happy but in future we will be staying elsewhere in Birmingham. We stayed at the Ramada in the Mailbox on our last visit at less cost and had nothing to be unhappy about. Come on Mcdonalds Birmingham drag yourselves into this century and give people value for their money.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie S
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Maggie S

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent stay with us and in particular your breakfast experience.

Many people do return to us to enjoy the quality of our breakfast and the warm and welcoming service they receive from our staff. Indeed and as you will see from the vast majority of reviews, we are very proud of the high praise our breakfast offering, our staff and the service they deliver normally receives and I am truly sorry to hear on this occasion this does not appear to have been the case for you. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that particular morning. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to highlight the importance of delivering exceptional, quality food and customer service to all guests at all times. They have especially been asked to be associated with my apology.

I do hope this isolated experience will not deter you from using us again!

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My partner and myself have recently returned from a fabulous weekend at the Burlington in BIrmingham. As soon as we walked into reception we were met by a smiling friendly member of staff. She made us feel welcome, informing us of what we needed to know about the hotel and the local area.Our room was amazing with a walk in dressing room, elegant furnishings, fantastic bathroom. It was spotless. Our stay was Friday to Sunday and all the staff were friendly , helpful and approachable. We'll done, we will definitely be returning and will recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan C
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Susan C

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed a fabulous weekend stay with us and thank you so much for posting such lovely comments about the hotel and my team!

We look forward to welcoming you, and hopefully some of your friends and family, back again soon!

Warmest regards

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have just returned from a two night short holiday with my daughter.We stayed at the Burlington which was very good.It was convenient for New Street Station and bang in the centre of the shopping streets and areas of Birmingham.
The location was good for our shopping trip as it was next to the Bullring shopping mall and the main shopping street of the City.The location was the best thing but all the rest of the experience was good.
The rooms were huge with all the facilities you would need.The beds were very comfortable and all areas were very clean.My daughter loved the classic rooms with "vintage" charm.The air conditioning was very good.The weather was very hot at the time but the air conditioning was at the right temperature for a good night's sleep.
The receptionist advised us of the possibility of booking the Wicked play that evening and we were able to do this.This was the extra experience to add to a fantastic shopping trip.
Due to the location, we were able to come back to the hotel at regular intervals and leave shopping or just have a sit down before going back to the local shops.
The breakfast was very good and there was a good choice.We had to wait a bit for service on the Sunday but that was not a problem as we were on holiday and in no rush.
Ice was available which made a drink in the bedroom even better.
We have had a fantastic time and will book this hotel again for a shopping trip or a work event if I want a city centre location.
I have stayed in the past for a work event as it was a good location for the City Hall where I had a conference.

Room Tip: We had a twin room.Most of the rooms were double which I am sure are very nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank delythllg
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Delythllg

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the hotel! In particular, I am delighted to learn my team were able to positively contribute to your visit by recommending you attend the Wicked play and I trust this was thoroughly enjoyed.

We too believe our location could not be any better; located in the very heart of Birmingham, with world-class shopping and entertainment just a short walk from the hotel. If you have the opportunity, I would personally recommend a re-visit towards the end of November, or in December for Christmas shopping with the German Market literally right on our doorstep and a must visit before Christmas.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another shopping extravaganza again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as my partner had work in the area. The hotel is beautiful and elegant, we requested a quiet room as we were travelling with a baby and were granted that and an upgrade to a large executive room. The facilities were super, locality to the the bull ring shopping centre and other shops was perfect so no complaints about that. The hotel is situated opposite the train station so great if you arrive by train, however we drove and the car park owned by the hotel is a walk away so not ideal if you have large, heavy luggage it travelling with young children. The receptionist was suppose to ask if we travelled by car so that we could receive a discount on the price of parking, she was aware that we drove but we didn't find out about the discounted parking until it was too late from another friendly and helpful member of staff the next day, so if you do travel by car you should tell them so that they're aware and you can receive your discount! Other than that, no complaints, the room was clean and spacious and we had a comfortable nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear pw46

I am delighted to learn overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments about the hotel; however, I am extremely disappointed to learn of your disappointment with my reception team. As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, this is an area we usually excel in throughout the hotel. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion, this appears not to have been the case for you and I have shared your feedback with the team to highlight the importance of delivering exceptional customer service to all guests at all times.

I do hope this isolated experience will not deter you from using us again!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

In the bustle of Brum, this is a haven of peace and tranquility. OK, there's some traffic noise, but that's what you get with a city centre hotel. But full marks for the breakfasts....a real treat. Plenty of fresh fruit, home-made yoghurt, many locally sourced products...a lot of effort has gone into this. that's before the fry-up, with a good selection of fare. It's not incredibily expenisve either if you book ahead or go for a partnership style deal. Well worth the money. It's not trendy, which is as well, as I HATE trendy. PS The desk cleark kindly volunteered to store our bags for after we'd checked out so we could look round the city, and colelct them later...that's without being asked.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tony p
Dear tony p

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review.

We believe breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and I am delighted to learn you enjoyed our Award Winning Macdonald Signature breakfast!

If you have not already, next time you book may I recommend you book a table for dinner in our Scottish Steak Club restaurant. Our chefs work from whole raw ingredients using only the finest and freshest produce. True to our Scottish heritage, the beef we serve comes from fully accredited Scottish Farms and supplied to us by Scotbeef, suppliers to the highest quality retailers in the country.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!