“Very nice, but one or two small issues” 4 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham
“Very nice, but one or two small issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

We stayed for one night on a Easter deal of £59 bed and breakfast. The hotel is very grand, it was very quiet being Easter weekend. Excellent service at check in. The room, according to the receptionist, was a recently refurbished one that we had been upgarded to free of charge. Not sure how recent the refurb was, it was very stylish and spacious, but the curtains were stained and there was a couple of cracked tiles in the bathroom. GREAT overhead giant shower, was lovely. Superb breakfast, and exellent service from the restuarant staff.

Small gripes : Could not get hold of anyone by phone at Reception, Concierge, Duty Manager or Housekeeping to ask where the hairdryer was - no one would answer. Finally someone answered at the bar, took my query and the Receptionist called me back. She said 'have you looked in the desk drawer' and hung up.

Stain on curtains in room and cracked tiles in bathroom. Not what you would expect in that caliber of hotel.

Noise - the bathroom fan kept coming on during the night, slightly annoying. And, out of the hotel's control, I know, but the blooming seagulls outside screeching all the time (even at night too)

Parking - we were told to stay in the Pallasades car park and we would get a special rate of £8.50 for 24hrs. We got the ticket validated when we checked out, but the machine in the car park still charged us £13.50.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

This is the second time that I have stayed at the Burlington. The hotel and services were 4/5* last year and the same for this year. The hotel is classy, comfortable, clean and very well situated. The room service staff are excellent, if you are lucky to have Craig look after you,you could not wish for better service. I love their breakfasts, it is so nice not to have cooked in buffet style hearters, but individually prepared and brought to your table.

One little thing, their pillows and a bit lumpy could maybe do with some new ones. But it did not keep me from sleeping, just a while to get comfy!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Northern England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

Bang in the middle of Birmingham but quiet at night, with pleasant, slightly old-fashioned rooms and very helpful and friendly staff. We've stayed here twice now and will come back. The staff really are something else - informal without being intrusive and genuinely keen for the guest to enjoy staying there. Great breakfast in a lovely dining room. If you're looking for fawning flunkeys, try elsewhere but if you want somewhere comfortable and friendly, with all the conveniences associated with a good hotel, look no further. Absolutely A1.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

The last time I travelled to Birmingham I stayed in the Britannia and vowed to NEVER do that again. Unfortunately, the Burlington is out of what my work budget will cover. Luckily, I found a room on Lastminute.com for a mere £57 per night (room only).

For £57 this was a bargain. For the stated rate of £104 I'm not sure I would have felt the same way.

The staff have been brilliant. My first room was a true single but of a nice size. Unfortunately the ADSL didn't work in that room so they moved me to a new single room. This one is much bigger (and down-right palatial. I have THREE telephones including one in the bathroom...)

Food, good. Room, good (and no tray charge for room service). Service, great.

Downsides: The cleaning staff are very loud (chatting down the hall) so it's difficult to get work done in your room during the day. The decor is a bit dated but completely clean and serviceable. I'm very surprised that a hotel of this calibre doesn't offer free broadband and that I've had to add an extra £20 to my bill for internet for two days....even then the speed is rubbish.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Collingtons
Fylde Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

Arrived for a weekend mid January 2009, meeting friends from the South. Some slight confusion over finding the hotel by sat-nav, but a superb welcome at Reception, which set the tone for the weekend for both couples, both of whom demand high standards. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of the staff, whether Reception, Bar or Restaurant. Our rooms were first rate, overlooking the main street itself, which was still bedecked with Christmas lights and we all enjoyed an excellent night's sleep.

We dined on both evenings in the restaurant, where both food and service were of the highest class, as indeed was the breakfast.

An outstanding feature of the hotel is the quality of the staff - throughout. We were all made to feel that we were most valued guests, but I do not feel that we were treated any differently from other guests - all interactions between staff and guests which we observed were of a similar high standard.

Not only have we recommended the Burlington service to friends but we have already booked a return visit in March, with another couple, in order to celebrate a birthday.

Although there is the occasional sign of wear in some public areas, this does not detract from the overall ambience and the supreme quality of the staff employed at the hotel transcends any minor physical defects, which I am sure will be addressed by the management in any case . A tjhoroughly enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Silverfoxes
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

For my husband's birthday I had initially booked a hotel further away, but due to the horrendous weather I had to cancel. We still wanted to celebrate so looked for a hotel nearer. I telephoned the MacDonald chain and told them the above and booked a room at the Burlington in Birmingham. We booked a D,B&B package. When we arrived at the hotel, earlier than the checking in time (which wasn't a problem) the Receptionist noted that it was my husband's birthday and upgraded us to a suite - which was a lovely gesture. The suite was fabulous. Birmingham, i.e. Broad Street is a great place to go for a night out anyway, lots of places to eat and drink. As we had Dinner booked at the hotel we ate there. I can be quite critical about eating out - I picked this up from my father who was a Chef. Well the food at the Burlington Hotel was absolutely outstanding. Presentation made you feel that you were in a top London restaurant. The food tasted fantastic (the Chef is very talented) and not over-priced.

All the staff we came into contact with were helpful and pleasant.

I don't live very far away from this hotel, but would certainly book again and take advantage of the excellent location for shopping, night out in Broad Street, and would eat at the restaurant.

The hotel has concessionary parking rates at the Pallasades

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PaddyCoventry
North Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

Stayed at this hotel for one night on business. The check in was smooth and efficient. I had booked a single room and it was tiny. Whilst the room was clean there was a horrendous smell of cooking. The bathroom was tiny and very tired - When the bath was filled a gap appeared at the wall. The restaurant and bar staff were good but I would not stay there again

• Liked — The restaurant staff
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)