“Always ask for Neila-she's the hotels best asset!!”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 October 2009

This is such a brilliantly situated hotel,across the road from ample parking and the train station. Nice foyer and most bedrooms very pleasant, some still being updated. Breakfast pleasant, a little slow and some times we found food cold but any complaints dealt with quickly and pleasantly.We have stayed at this hotel several times and will deffinitly continue to do so in the future.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank pickyCornwall

Reviewed 8 October 2009

It took us a while to find the best place to park to get to the hotel as there is no parking on site but once we were there it was worth it,

Walking in to the hotel it was very nice, clean, modern yet old fashioned in ways...they were undergoing rennovation but we were never disturbed. Staff were always pleasant and our room was fabulous with a huge bed, mini fridge, good size TV, gorgeous en suite bathroom which had obviously just been rennovated. Lots of storage space for clothes and the safe in the wardrobe was a huge plus for us as we were travelling with lots of valuables!

We did not eat at the hotel but we did have some bottles of wine in the bar which was lovely, very comfortable and again the staff were great.

All in all it was a lovely hotel and we would go back again and recommend it to everyone!

1  Thank eemo2003
Reviewed 5 October 2009

we stayed here in the macdonald burlington,birmingham for one night,it was very very nice,the hotel is close to the staion,bullring and to the concert we attended.we have stayed in macdonalds hotels previously and found the staff to be brilliant,this hotel was no exception...the staff are fantastic and try to make your stay as nice as possible.the room we had was also lovely with a large bathroom containing both bath and shower.as usual the room was spotless with good furnishings to make your stay here very comfortable.i will be returning here shortly for christmas shopping and am looking forward to another lovely break.thankyou to all at the burlington,birmingham

Reviewed 30 September 2009

Having taken advantage of their Autumn offer, I found the MacDonald Burlington to be one of the best I've stayed at. The newly refurbished room 503 is an executive room to die for. The only downside to this room is that it faces New Street, and you hear bin lorries etc, cleaning up early in the morning. Being on the fifth floor though, this was not too much of a problem. The staff could not be more helpful and were always very attentive. Breakfast is cooked to order and is therefore always hot and fresh (unlike most buffet's). Based one minute from New Street railway station allowed me to leave the car at home and enjoy Birmingham's fabulous city centre. Overall a great experience I want to do again sometime.

1  Thank slushfundEdinburgh
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Upon arrival we were greeted by receptionist Neila carvallia who was unusual in so far as she seemed genuine in her desire tomake our stay an enjoyable one. Over the 3 days we stayed she gave us first class service, offerred very good advice with regard to restaurants and things to see and she together with the other receptionist [robert] made uys feel at home and very welcome. an excellent advert for the Macdonald group.

Reviewed 10 September 2009

From the moment I arrived staff were very helpful and polite, shortly after arriving in room reception called to check everything was okay. Room was great - a good size and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was excellent - the Stornaway black pudding knocked spots of the one I normally buy from Bury!
I have now been to three MacDonald hotels - all show the group are going the extra mile to make this the hotel group to use.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Very disappointing stay for a 2 day business conference, and very difficult to believe that this is a 4-star

Normally one would think that the hotel is well located, and it is next door to New St station. The problem is that
(a) The streets around the hotel are very busy with delivery vehicles being heard from about 5 in the morning
(b) Sound insulation is very poor
(c) For the next few years New St Station is undergoing massive redevelopement. Work seemed to start at 6 in the morning

Overall cleanliness at the hotel isn't great. You don't have to look far to find dust and my room (more about that in a minute) was grubby around the edges. I returned to my room on the third floor late on the night I stayed and despite being told the hotel was full it seemed very quiet - the long corridor features a number of wooden shelves and I noticed a half eaten sandwich left on one shelf - no plate, just a sandwich. When I went down to breakfast the following morning at 8.30, the sandwich was still there.

The lobby of the hotel is small but pleasant enough, but once you step from the lobby the rot sets in with threadbare carpets and a general tatty appearance in a number of places.

The staff that are there work hard, but the hotel seems understaffed with long delays to get any service. Breakfast was a bit disorganised, but was actually quite nice, with reasonably good produce cooked to order, although at £13 for breakfast you have to pick between fried bread or beans, which seemed stingy.

My room (305) was large, looking over the street at the back of the hotel (hence the noise). Furniture was dated and looked tatty. A rack rate of £200 (which we didn't pay) is outrageous for what is on offer and you should refuse to pay that for this room. I've already mentioned the general grubbiness of the room but in addition things like ancient bathroom fittings, lamp shades all very crooked. What looked like a nice big King size bed was in fact 2 singles pushed together. Not that unusual, you may say? It is in when the the 2 mattresses are of different thickness, creating a drop from one side of the bed to the other. The TV in the room is a very old smallish (about 21") CRT TV - I would guess these are at least 15 years old. TV selection was pretty small (about 8 channels) but the TV reception failed after 30 minutes and wouldn't work again. The floor boards in the room were VERY creaky. It seemed like there was a lot of building work going on the floor above me which seemed to end at about 6pm but started at about 8am the following morning

Colleagues of mine said their rooms were better and more modern but with an old TV. Why refurbish a room and not put in a flat screen TV ?

One real concern I have is with the bottled water in the room. The water had no provenance and just had a lid with a sticker across it to act as a seal. On opening the water and pouring it into a glass I couldn't help but notice a really horrible smell coming from the glass - the smell of foul water. I took a smell of the bottle and noticed the same smell. We'd had the same bottles in the conference, but this stuff smelt completely different, in a bad way. I didn't drink the water but reported it to reception who told me that the bottled water comes from a purification plant in the hotel.... you can draw your own conclusions. They offered to replace the bottle for me. On returning to my room a new bottle was there but there was no seal on the bottle so i didn't take any chances.

Conference facilities are adequate but the room we were in didn't have wifi (I asked) but I could have a cable for broadband at extra cost. The air conditioning in the room was absolutely freezing and staff seemed to struggle to control the temperature - on day 2 they had to bring radiators in to combat the air con. Service was a bit slow with delays in opening up meeting rooms and small delays in meal service in the conference suite.

The hotel is offering good rates to business travellers at the moment, times are hard, but they are Nickel & Diming customers - expect to pay £2 to use your credit card on check out.

My advice would be to go elsewhere - The Crowne Plaza and Malmaison are much better hotels in every way and if you can get comparable rates it really makes no sense to consider the Burlington - particularly whilst all the building work in the hotel and in the vicinity is going on. These 2 hotels are only an extra 5 mins walk from the station.

Bacchus the bar in the basement of the hotel (not sure whether not it is affiliated to the hotel or not) is nice and has interesting décor and a nice upmarket feel with good clientèle , which is more than can be said for a lot of the pubs that surround New St Station.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business