“I had an awful experience. Dirty room!”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #38 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I arrived at this hotel after staying in a Travelodge and wished I'd gone back to the Travelodge once I reached my room!

The hotel looks grand and lovely. My room had not been cleaned. The bathroom had an unpleasant smell. The sink contained tea splashed tea stains, a saucer and a cup full of water. The coffee tray contained empty sachets and biscuit packets.

I immediately went to reception and let the girl behind the desk know. She greeted my information with such a rude facial expression.

On my 3rd night's stay a bottle of mineral water appeared in the room. Was there meant to be one eery day?

I left my room with the do not disturb sign on as I was doing work and just needed to pop out to grab a sandwich. 10 mintues later I returned to find the chamber maid stripping my bed and my work folder strewn across the floor. Couldn't she read?

There is no wireless internet connection. If you wish to connect to the internet then you need to use the ethernet cable and pay £6 per day.

The hotel could be so much more, with a much better service. The one positive is the entertaining old guy at breakfast. The hotel also needs some maintenance work, a little love for the paint work and carpets.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 April 2010

We booked a double room at the Burlington for an overnight stay in Birmingham. We are fairly local so wanted a cost-effective stay and found a good rate at this hotel. As such, it represented good value for money. This hotel is great for those new to Birmingham as it is centrally located, very close to the train station, shops, bars and restaurants and most things are easily walkable. Our room was spacious, refurbished and had a large comfy bed. The bathroom was of a decent size but was only partially refurbished (which was a shame as it made the improvements look rather half-hearted). We enjoyed drinks in the hotel bar which is newly decorated and comfortably furnished.

The negatives for me were the standard of housekeeping in our bathroom and the breakfast service both of which were poor. Guests had to queue for some time for a table at breakfast and, once seated, the service was slow. The cereal/juice table was almost empty by the time we were seated and, with only one exception, the breakfast staff seemed disorganised and uninterested. Other guests appeared equally unimpressed.

The negatives surprised me, the hotel being part of the MacDonald group, and were disappointing since this old hotel has the potential to be quite grand. Other reviewers do not appear to have experienced the same issues so I wonder whether we were just unlucky, the hotel being quite obviously very busy on our weekend. If I had paid the full rate however I would have been less forgiving. Overall, whilst I don’t, on the basis of our experience, feel able to recommend the hotel for a special occasion, I probably would stay there again and it is still a satisfactory choice for a trip to Birmingham.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2010

The check in was quick and was met by a lovely woman on reception the room was addiquate for my needs nice bath and large bed.
The tv only had the standard 5 channels but wasnt there to watch tv though right in the centre a stones throw from new street station and shops, Birmingham in my opinion is better than London for shopping great selection and its a short walk to the Mailbox the trendy hip eating and drinking area would deffinately recommend this to anyone who wanted a weekend away from the London.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2010

For the great room rate I got from their website, I didn't expect that my room would be that neat & comfortable. I really liked the comfy bed & chic monotone interior. The complimentaly bottle of water & shortbread were appreciated. I quite liked the wardrobe looked like an old phone box, too. It was quiet so I could sleep fairy well.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Great city centre location. Close to shops, restaurants, symphony hall. Hotel is being refurbished but hopefully with retain its style. Friendly and helpful staff. Definitely recomment.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My husband and I stayed in a fabulous room with our friends in a room next door. The staff are so friendly and helpful and have time for everyone. The location is great, so near the Bullring. We have stayed a few times as my niece lives in Birmingham and we think this is one of the nicest hotels around.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Stayed for a special occaison, was upgraded to a suite which was much appreciated. Staff helpful. Hotel was being renovated, but not much of an inconvenience. Would stay there again Great VFM

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple