“My favourite hotel in Birmingham”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Daughter and I stay several times a year to visit family, friends. art gallery and football!
Staff always friendly and welcoming. They go out of their way to help guests.
My daughter and I have also stayed as solo guests and always have good rooms, often doubles.
Rooms are always very clean, comfortable, well thought out and well stocked.
Location is perfect as we travel by rail and it is a couple of minutes walk from New St station.
The staff at breakfast tend to be the same faces time and again, which is a good sign.
I would and do often recommend The Burlington.

• Stayed: May 2010
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Burlington Hotel

Reviewed 29 May 2010

Superb location we got a deal through last minute dot com£50 unbelievable!

A bit noisy but to be expected in a city centre

Reviewed 27 May 2010

I have stayed here on business once before and, whilst the room was nice, it was located on the New Street side of the hotel and so I was kept awake by loud yobs for most of the night. This time, I had a room on the inside of the hotel. Although my window overlooked a maze of air con ducts and generators it was preferable to the noisier New Street side. It was the hottest day of the year so far and when I entered my room it was like an oven. I opened the window fully and tried to turn the air con on. I could not discern any activity from the air con unit. I was also unable to turn the heated towel rail off so that was pumping out heat faster than the open window could cool. I tried the shower but was unable to stand beneath it as it was scolding hot and no amount of adjusting the taps would cool it. Obviously in winter, this would not be such a problem. Plusses = very good location. Nice sized bed. Good value if you get a good deal. Negatives = only 5 channels on TV, general cleanliness of hotel not great, noise if you are on New Street side, no air con. Also, for parking, use the Mailbox and walk (5 mins) rather then use their NCP suggestion, which is not nice. Would recommend in winter

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I stayed here with work last year, and was chuffed to bits with the location. It was all down hill from there really. Room was pokey, more of a box room, the threadbare bedding was disgusting and the room was generally worn and dirty. There were lots of broken tiles in the bathroom, and neither the toilet and sink wern't clean. So you can tell the room wasn't to my liking.
When it came to settling the bill, I took the time to check it, saw the room was horribly over priced, and they had charged some drinks from the previous evening to my bill. Seems this was for a glass of tap water one of our group had, (as the rest of us payed cash). Couldn't believe the cheek I had off staff when I refused to pay nearly 2 quid for it.

Really couldn't recommend this place less. Only bright point of the stay was a really friendly waiteress in the evening, who was good as gold.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I have stayed here a few times before and was happy with it. But not this time...

Got to check-in and asked for a twin room, which I wasn’t able to book on the internet. They said no problem we have one but it isn’t ready yet. We were happy to go off for a while and leave our bags there. When we came back the receptionist said they had to change our room as someone else had changed our booking back to a double room. She asked us to wait while a twin room was being prepared. We sat there for 15 minutes while two other groups checked in, one didn’t get a room, one did. Eventually I got fed up waiting and went up to reception again. The receptionist was surprised to see me again – she had forgotten about us!
Anyway we got our twin room and all was well until I flushed the toilet and it backed up. We let reception know on our way out that afternoon and expected the problem to be fixed when we got back about 8pm. Flushed the toilet and same problem. Went to reception again and the said sorry we have to move you because we can’t fix the toilet. So we packed up and moved to another room that hasn’t had a make-over in some time (they are currently refurbishing).
Was very unhappy with this room. The window was not fitted properly and we were street facing so much noise from busses and cold wind coming in. My bed was old and uncomfortable and the shower was from the 60s. As we had moved once already on a two night stay we decided not to say anything that night.
Next morning when checking out I complained alright and was apologized to and given a discount but were asked did we enjoy the complimentary breakfast that they were supposed to tell us about and didn’t. As I said already I have stayed here before and have been happy with the service. Just this time it didn’t go right. I would stay here again but would tell anyone to complain promptly if they have a problem.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Myself and my girdlfriend just returned from a trip to the Burligngton Hotel, I can only say that this hotel is the best I have ever stayed at in Bimringham, from check in to check out everything went smoothly. We did not eat in the hotel but we had breakfast for only an extrad £10 per person and you can eat as much as you want and the breakfast staff was lovely, its location is brilliant next to all the shops, bars and restaurant, we went to Red peppers and we had a lovely meal, there too, what a great time we had. I love Birmingham

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Not only do you get gratis flea bites and the best views and sounds of a bus lane but you also get a really unhelpful receptionist who will do everything not to help you should you ring up and ask for something crazy like to be connected to the internet.

Saying that, the breakfast was good and the old fella serving it was a really nice guy.

1  Thank workingovertime