“Great hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Very grand hotel. Friendly and helpful staff, particularly the waiter in the bar/dining room(think his name was Aiden). What a charming young gentlman he was. Nothing was too much trouble and extremely professional. Central location, close to shops and restaurants. Across the road from the railway station. Standard room very spacious. The only downside was that our room was overlooking the railway station and there was a lot of noise (shouting and traffic) throughout the night. Nothing that a bottle of wine couldn't cure!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Essex
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Number of points-
1. NCP car park - This is not paid for in your bill, so if you go in and leave 5 times per day then you have 5 charges minimum of £4 per shot- not mentioned at all on site
2. From NCP you walk through a shopping centre, fine if daylight, very intimidating at night with hoardes of youths, drunks and yobs about. Muggers alley?
3. Room - small, dirty, broken, fixtures, useless double glazing overlooking 24hrs Tesco express and echo's all the drunks excellently.
4. Staff - flippant (see later comments)
5. There was a do on so had to listen to the disco until about 1ish, then the drunk guests wondering around until 4AM !!!!!!. Complained to staff who said ' shudda called us earlier' being spoken to like a child. I went out everytime they went past but the corridor was clear so why bother.
6 2" gap in bottom of door to let noise, light etc in

This was supposed to be a romantic night........ instead she put earplugs in and took sleeping pills, I just got up at 6am and made as much noise as possible in a vain attempt at revenge. Why are people so inconsiderate, thinking they own the blooming place?
In a nutshell, if you want quiet, clean, friendly, free parking, safe routes in, then stay at a much cheaper travelinn and not here

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Familyman005
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2011

The Burlington is one of our favorite hotels in the MacDonald chain. Its so close to the city centre, the service is impeccable, rooms really really comfortable, and food, well you should try it, the Black Pudding you get at breakfast is out of this world.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Stayed one night 11.12.10 for Xmas shopping. Can't fault the location, and staff were great. However a few minor diapointments were that the bathroom door was hanging off its hinges, (dangerously, small child could have easily trapped fingers etc.)) the very small TV was so far away from the bed that we couldn't watch from there and had to sit on chairs close by to view, and the double glazing was useless so being a very cold night on a busy main road, we didn't sleep much due to the draft and the noise from outside. The worse bit though was the fact that the bathroom bin had not been emptied and there were soiled personal items left in the from the previous tenant, that really did spoil it for me! The reception staff explained the the head house person had recently left and so no one was checking up on the cleaners - I sympathise but to be honest that's not our problem, and shouldn't be used as an excuse. I would recomend but would say that a room away from the main rd would be beneficial.

Cardiff
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Having never stayed at the Macdonald Burlington before, on first impressions the hotel was lovely, room was nice, receptionists friendly. However, having stayed there for 4 weeks on business, the overall stay was dreadful. This was mainly due to the waiting staff. After dining at the hotel for the first few nights with colleagues, the staff knew that we were with our company, and didn't seem to treat us the same as other customers. The dinner service was very very slow, although the food was lovely, we would have to dine at 6pm when the restaurant opened, and we wouldn't finish until around 8pm. One evening we ordered a steak, we didn't order a starter or pudding, however, an hour had passed by before any food arrived at our table. By the 4th week of staying at the hotel we had got fed up of the slow service and started to dine elsewhere in the town centre, where the service was much better and much quicker.

Breakfast service was also very very slow, sometimes we would be waiting around 15 minutes before anybody had offered us a drink. However, the service at breakfast was much quicker with a waiter named Aiden, who was brilliant, he acknowledged everyone as they walked into the restaurant unlike the other waitresses who would not make eye contact at all, he would then remember from the day before if you drank tea or coffee and within 5minutes or less of sitting down, he had taken our order and brought our drinks over. He was brilliant, it made such a difference on the days that he was serving, it's a shame that the other breakfast staff were not as helpful and speedy as Aiden, and as he was only there for a few days, the breakfast service went back to being slow again.

On the one occasion I ordered room service for breakfast, I would never ever order it again. I filled in the breakfast card, left it to be collected and awaited my breakfast order the next morning. I ordered my breakfast to arrive at my room between 8-8.15am, at 8.20 the breakfast had not arrived, bearing in mind that I had work at 9am I left it another 5 minutes before calling to see what had happened to my breakfast. I finally got through to the restaurant where one of the waitresses answered my call, she asked the member of staff in charge 'John' what had happened to my breakfast, and he said rather loudly in the background "I can't take it up, tell her another 5 minutes, i've been busy tell her" the waitress then came back on the phone and told me that it would be another 5 minutes, so, as I wouldn't have enough time I told her to cancel it. I was so angry and annoyed that John thought it was alright to leave a customer waiting for there breakfast and I was most annoyed and upset at the comments I had heard on the telephone. The waitress very kindly rang back and offered to wrap up some pastries, which I agreed to, however, when going down to breakfast to collect the pastries John then approached me and said "I do apologise" I then told him that I heard what he had said in the background of the phone call, telling me to wait another 5 minutes and that he has been busy, I also told him that it is a totally unacceptable level of service! He then walked away without even explaining why it had happened. This left me feeling very angry and upset.

I then went to reception and asked to speak to the manager (Nigel) about 'John' and his attitude towards breakfast room service and towards me, the manager apologised and offered me a bottle of wine as a gesture of good will. After discussing it with the manager I felt a little bit better, and was willing to forget about the dreadful start to my day. However, upon arriving at work and telling my colleagues about what had happened, they told me that John had been discussing it with them in the restaurant saying to them that he was not in a good mood because one of 'their lot' is going to report him, and then he started to tell them what had happened!!!!!! This man definately needs to be sacked as he has no customer communication skills whatsoever, and then to go and discuss the matter in the restaurant with my colleagues shows how unproffessional he is. He definately should not be in charge of the breakfast staff, he should not be in a customer facing role at all, however, it seems to me that he is of the opinion that he can say and do what he likes because he has worked at the hotel for so long and is perhaps due to retire soon.

Because of the appauling service at the hotel I will definately not be staying there again, and will inform my colleagues of what happened. My company bring lots of business to this particular hotel, but with this service I would rather stay at one of the many other hotels in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
northampton
Reviewed 19 December 2010

The staff here were terrific. Very personable, and service with a smile. The room we had was wonderful, very clean, and it had everything we needed.
You would never have guessed that the hotel was running on skeleton staff, due to the adverse weather conditions.
The location of the hotel itself was perfect. Bang in the centre of Birmingham, next to the Bullring and all other shopping/music venues.
Will certainly be returning here.
The only thing that would have made it better would have been free WiFi in the room.

Stafford, Uk
Reviewed 18 December 2010

This was a one day stay over for a business 'do'. The Burlington is right in the centre of Birmingham which, as you will see below, is a two edged sword. It certainly has the airs of a top quality hotel and usually the prices too, which is why I was delighted with my £60 room and breakfast deal.

The hotel is also five minutes stroll from my office, so in the morning I deposited my evening gear. Staff all very attentive and efficient, top marks but no more than you'd expect in this sort of establishment. Went back after hours, 7.00 or thereabouts.

Room sorted, no offer of assistence with bags, but then I didn't have much. All the same, in the US you are always asked if you'd like help, even if all you've got is a tooth brush! Room was small, but very adequate for me, but things did then start to fall away a bit. Mostly silly stuff, but remember this is a four star hotel, usually charging up to £200 a night. The kettle was left with the tray, but I then had to hunt around for a socket. Telly looked as if it should have been state of the art, but it was an ordinary tube type, no widescreen, and very limited channels unless you were happy to pay another £20+ a night! All very clean, bed looked like it had been made by a marine (Bounce a coin off it) but the bathroom... Oh dear. Looked very nice, but all but a glance showed it up. Tiles a bit dodgy around the bath, light bulb gone, tap fitments loose, loo roll holder broken. And the two cardinel sins: first the shower was just an old fashioned mixer tap which made it impossible to control and secondly the loo would not flush. That's just unacceptable at any level. If I were staying for anything more than one night I'd have demanded a room change.

But I didn't see the need to make a fuss, and dealt with it. I mentioned it on the way out only. I was thanked in reception for bringing the matter to their attention, but no apology, no 'It won't happen again' and certainly no offer of any compensation. Not that I wanted it, but it should be offered.

Can't speak for dinner. The restaurant has a good reputation, but all I had was breakfast. We now enter the great buffet vs table service debate. I prefer buffet; eat all you want at your own pace. If, like me, you love mushrooms, then a double helping is a simple matter. But I do appreciate the view that at a menu price of £13.50, someone else can do the fetching and carrying. This was a table service at a table service price. Now it is probably the lawyer in me but when a menu says 'mushrooms' that's the plural of 'mushroom' so one mushroom, even a largish one, is short change. A personal preference, but not an unreasonable one.

Eggs? Again, plural on the menu, singular on the plate. This was the weird bit. I asked for a poached egg. A perfectly formed egg appeared on the plate, solid white, gently soft yolk. But stone cold. Not just not very warm; the temperature of a salad egg. I ate it because I couldn't believe it and I was trying to work out how on earth that is possible, seeing as all other items were as you'd expect.

Now I know this sounds critical, but that's only because of the not unreasonable high expectations of a four star iconic hotel. The Burlington has really had its day. Just like the Britannia further along New Street, when new these hotels were the grandest thing in the City, imposing frontages, rooms fit for royalty or even an X Factor winner or a celebrity stripper. But Birmingham City's planners and economics have put paid to that. The grand frontages have been hived off to retail, and the pedestrianisation has just destroyed what is left. Neither hotel is easily accessible by car. They now compete with Premier Inn (Which, at £77 per night was more expensive!) and the likes of Hotel du Vin has the trade they ought to have. The concrete and glass monoliths just out of the town centre are better built, better designed in terms of facilities and better maintained. This should have been an experience to savour. It was just very ordinary and no-where near what I think of as four stars. If you can get a deal, go for it, but at headline price you would only take that up if it were the last room in town and you'd arrived to witness the Second Coming.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo