“Certainly on the up”

Edgbaston Palace Hotel
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Very cheaply priced and this may be because the hotel is being revamped. Contractors on site but not especially noisy. Utterly adequate, rooms in some ways above average. Beds, bedding, etc very good. Just do not expect the Ritz for what you are paying.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank peterabbotts

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I arrived at the hotel at around 6.45pm on 25th February and was blown away by the receptionist on duty. She achieved a great balance of friendliness and professionalism and showed me to my room as it "was easier than explaining where it was". I had a few queries (re WiFi and the TV remote) and she dealt with these quickly and efficiently.

The room was basic yet well equipped with quality toiletries and tea and coffee facilities. I was also impressed with how peaceful the hotel was, despite being on one of the main roads into the city.

My only negative is that it was difficult to manage the temperature of the room.

Many thanks for the care you show to your customers. You put many of the "chains" to shame.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CarolCurlz
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We booked for one night and was disappointed. After long trek through endless corridors we found our room, rather small, had clean sheets and bathroom was reasonable. Mattress definately needed replacing as springs were poking through and were very uncomfortable so didn't get a good nights rest. We ate in the restaurant, asked for garlic bread with cheese, this came out cold and still frozen. Breakfast was slightly better but still not hot enough.The hotel was also full of workmen staying there who didn't even bother changing their clothes.
Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 412, rooms across the car park at booked looked better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John W
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I have just read the terrible reviews and can`t understand why most of them have been wrote
(rules are rules no food means no food )....Not wanting to travel from Sheffield early morning,my daughter and I stayed here one night because she had an interview at Birmingham university the following day at 9.30 am. We didn`t arrive until 8 pm and was greeted by a young chap who was pleasant enough,he told us where to park and that the restaurant was open until whatever time. Our room was across the yard,(small) twin room but clean, we were only sleeping in it. We didn`t eat at the hotel because my daughter wanted to explore so we went for a walk down to Broad street, plenty of places to eat and drink.
The next morning we asked the receptionist if it was ok to leave our car where it was and to call a taxi to take us to Uni...no problem this was done immediately .........
STAFF NICE.....HOTEL NICE ....... WILL RETURN TO THIS HOTEL WHEN VISITING MY DAUGHTER AT UNI .......No problems at all, you get what you pay for and this hotel is CHEAP !!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JAKJODES18
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I've stayed in this hotel a number of times on business with work and would have to say it's my ideal choice for meetings in and around Birmingham.
The check-in process is cumbersome, the free parking is great and the hotel offers good value for money. I recommend the double rooms in the outbuilding for comfort and noise. The breakfast is perhaps the best part of your stay as it's actually cooked to order and normally available with boarding for around £45 per night. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank regularromanticist
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We went to Birmingham to see my brother and stayed at this hotel. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. On the 2nd morning I was sitting in the lobby and the owner came to me and explained about a function that was happening that evening; we was offered a change of rooms both for my parents and for myself and my husband as our rooms were above the function room. We immediately got upgraded at no extra cost. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms across the courtyard lovely views
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TheGriffins3
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

After a family bereavement i was unable to attent my trip here. After speaking to the hotel (in tears) they offered to change the date up to 30days after trying this for several dates and not really wanting to go at all in the circumstances just not wanting to lose my money i was to find it would cost £20 more for any of the dates i selected. Disgusted by this i pleeded with the hotel to allow me to cancel due to the extreme circumstances and not wanting to leave my family at this time to be told no becauae they will lose money!!
I have never been so disgusted with the level of customer service and lack of empathy from anyone in all my life!
NEVER will i stay here i lost my money REFUSE to change the date so they can profit from my heartbreaking situation.

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED.