“Decent Hotel in Birmingham” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #111 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bristol
“Decent Hotel in Birmingham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked a single room for 1 night to allow me to have a few drinks after a football match. The hotel proved more than adequate for my purposes, it was clean, the single bed was comfortable and ensuite facilities fine.
The staff were businesslike and friendly- there was no problem in storing my bag for a few hours after I arrived at 1130 am, well before check-in time.
The hotel is well served by regular bus services into the City Centre, which in any event is less than half an hours walk, through a pleasant enough part of Edgbaston. There are also one or two eateries within a few minutes walk- and Five Ways train station is not much further.
It's just worth noting that on the night I stayed there was a function downstairs in the Hotel and the noise could clearly be heard in my room; it didn't bother me too much (possibly down to the beer......!!) but it might have done another time. So if you are concerned about the noise it might be worth checking with the Hotel before you book.
I would have no problem in staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Norfolkinnhotel, Manager at Norfolk Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for submitting such a kind and honest review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you again in the future. We have recently refurbished and we are very happy that our guests are now reaping the rewards. All the best, and we hopefully will see each other in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Boston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Me and my friend spent 1 night in this hotel, we chose it for the location and price. It was absolutly freezing in the room to which i had to wear my hoody to bed and we had to get another blanket! Also when we walked out of the lift there was dirty cutlery on the floor! The mirror in the bathroom was held on the wall by masking tape, and the plaster was coming off the walls around the lightswitches and plugs. The smell in the lift and hall way was beyond vile and I'm still unsure what it was?

The bed and tv were very nice and comfy but everything else was just awful! We had hardly any sleep due to loud noises and freezing conditions! For what we experienced i would say it's not worth £30 it's worth about £10!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel initially due to the price. Didn't expect much. However I must admit that the hotel was actually really nice. Everything was new and we must of stayed in the new refurbished area. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Norfolkinnhotel, Manager at Norfolk Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

My visit to the Norfolk hotel was excellent, the hotel itself was well maintained, the rooms was clean with fresh bedsheets everyday, the bed was comfy and the location was good, i would stay here again plus ignore the other comments as the hotel is not as bad as other people put on, it is rather clean.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here once and would be reluctant to go back, the best thing was the price but if it was expensive i'd of really complained. As you go in the corridors stink of smoke. My wheelchair accessible room (only one) never even had a curtain or blind and so people from st could see in room so they nailed up a blanket for me, I made a mistake of leaving the shower on a little and as water went into the bedroom carpet it made it stink really bad and had to put up with that for the duration of my stay. People including staff were constantly parking in the disabled spaces with no blue badge. Definitely wouldn't stay here again unless i was too tired to drive, it was freezing and there was nothing else available and

Room Tip: different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DarrenTravelonwheels
Luton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This really is a very poor hotel.

Filthy hallways, potty mouthed residents swearing at reception and windows that would not lock.

When I checked in, the staff were unaware that I had paid a £5 deposit online and tried to make me pay the full rate. Whilst I was discussing this, a woman holding a baby was swearing and blinding that someone had been smoking in her room.

The layout of the hotel was very confusing and the hallway of the first floor was disgusting - filthy and poorly decorated.

My room was situated near either a wedding or a reggae club. Either way, the phat bass lines were not conducive to sleep. Neither was the fact I could not lock the windows. I spent an uncomfortable evening worrying that Chaka Demus and Pliers or some other ne'er do well would climb in and murder me. Or worse.

When I did manage to drift off, I was awoken at 1.30 by what sounded like a lady being attacked someway down the hall. She was quite a disance away but it soon became clear she was not being attacked but actually involved in love making. It went on for ages and she was far too noisy.

there were the usual load of drunks banging on doors at all hours of the night.

It was a thoroughly depressing experience, a new low for me and one that made me question what I want from life.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

3 Thank Delramos
Swindon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I know there are an awful lot of negative reviews here for this hotel. But we stayed here recently with four friends and found our room to be of an acceptable standard for what we paid, £33 for us both for the night.

We had a single bed and wardrobe with tea and coffee facilities in one room, then another room with a double bed a flat screen TV in the other, then a shower and toilet off this. Bedding was clean and perfectly acceptable, so were the towels. It was warm in the room with the two radiators on all night but no complaints from us at all.

We were on the 4th floor which I have since learned are the refurbished rooms, reception staff were all polite too on check in and check out.

Room Tip: We were in rooms 480, 490 and 380
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnPaul78
Norfolkinnhotel, Manager at Norfolk Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014

All the best, and we hopefully will see each other in the near future.