“Checked out within hours. Didnt even stay the night”
Review of Norfolk Hotel

Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #112 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Aweful hotel! I didnt expect anything spectacular due to it being cheap but this was something else. Dont be fooled by the nice reception/lobby because its all a front! The room its self its extremely basic, which wouldnt be a problem if it was clean however, it looked as though it hadnt been hoovered in months. There was blood stains on the carpet, dirt on the walls, infact there was so much dirt in the door peephole that you couldnt see out of it. No aircon/fan so with it being high 20's outside it was too hot to breathe. The taps and toilet flush were broke, and it make a loud noise every so often which shook the shower. The worst part was that it had a very distinct smell that I just couldnt stand so within 2hrs we had checked out and only got half our money back. Definately avoid!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank kallum b

Reviewed 22 July 2014

second time i have stayed here. First time was during refurb. Just about finished now and looking OK. Lobby minimal but clean and welcoming. Staff friendly. Room was clean and newly refurbished. Clean bedding and towels. Bar now open (this was closed last visit) For a cheap hotel it you get slightly better standard now.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Norfolkinnhotel, Manager at Norfolk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for submitting such a kind and honest review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you again in the future. We have recently refurbished and we are very happy that our guests are now reaping the rewards. All the best, and we hopefully will see each other in the near future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

we booked the hotel the same day that we stayed, it was a last minute thing as we were travelling from milton keynes to birmingham to take our little one to the live in the night garden show. upon arrival we parked the car and there were some lower class individuals sitting on the wall with their children drinking cans of beer, i suggested to my partner maybe the parent and son had been put in the hotel as temporary accommodation by the council and their friends met them outside. so we carried on to the hotel, the lobby area was fresh and spacious, we spoke to the gent on reception who said they didnt have any cots available (luckily we took our own travel cot) so he upgraded our room and gave us adjoining rooms, we paid the fee for the room and he also asked for a £20 deposit, the adjoining rooms had a single bed in one and a double in the other with a flat screen tv, the rooms were substantial, roasting hot though and the window didnt stay up, decor was neutral and cost effective. we just used the hotel to sleep and shower and it was perfect for this, on check out we gave our key back and asked whether the receptionist needed to check the room so we got our deposit back, the receptionist was a little confused that we had to give a deposit and just gave it back without saying too much... strange.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fairyprincess_1992
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very good for the price we paid. Lobby was clean, the lift to our room looked new and the room we had been allocated was clean and also looked new. Me and my wife could not fault the hotel in any way. And we are glad we ignored the negative reviews and gave this hotel a chance.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I didn't think that it could be possible for a hotel like this to actually exist. Do NOT be deceived by the reception, that is simply a front. All the other negative reviews of this hotel are true, read them and believe them. Once checked in and allocated our 2 rooms, we hopped in the lift, yet quickly considered hopping out, it was disgusting and made your skin crawl. Along the corridor we ventured to our first room which looked to be a part of the 'newly refurbished' part of the hotel. A term I use very lightly. There were hand prints all over the wooden headboard, not a great initial impression. The window was spring loaded meaning it wouldn't shut properly so you got plenty of road noise to keep you going. The curtains came down to cover just half of the window. Really? Yes, really. It smelt stale and incredibly lived in. The bathroom was pretty large, but rather scruffy and the shower shouldn't even get a mention. The carpets don't look to have ever been acquainted with Henry the hoover and I now get a shiver down my spine thinking I walked my bare feet on there.

On to the second room. Wow. A massive wow. It stank of ciggies. After being told we would be charged if found to be smoking in the room, I gathered they had either made a fortune out of these charges, or they were telling porkies. The outside window sill was littered with cigarette ends and allowed for a good wretch. The furniture looked like it had been pulled from a shipwreck and the walls were full of holes and loose electrical fittings. There was no control for the tv though I don't think we would be spending too much time in there. Walking around the hotel was pretty horrible. It was dirty and smelt vile. There were several 'cleaning' trollies dotted around, but I'm thinking they were just for effect and not actually put to good use.

The location was ok, but there are plenty of other nice places to stay nearby. Had we not consumed as much alcohol as we had, I think we could probably guarantee a sleepless night, based on the noise, fear and the hope that you make it out of there without having caught something.

The price was cheap, but I wouldn't stay there again even if I was paid to do so. They need to employ some professional cleaners, electricians, decorators and builders to sort the place out, or simply realise that the hotel game just isn't for them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Duckdonald
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is by far and away the worst hotel i have ever had the misfortune to step in. I have travelled extensively across the world and stayed in hotels for less than £4 a night, they were all significantly better than this horrendous establishment.

One room was at the very possible lowest passable standard, but the other room was akin to the set of a horror movie.

The corridors were filthy and carried an unpleasant odour. and the entire place seemed incredibly run down.

We looked at the room and immediately left. A refund was given without complaint.

Not worth the money ! Stay elsewhere!

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank 788KSNorth
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Having read the mixed reviews on here I thought I'd add my thoughts. The hotel was excellent for what I paid. I had a room on the 4th floor and it looked modern and refurbished. The bathroom was fairly small but at least it was new and clean. The lift made it easy to get to our room and check in was easy. The bar and restaurant I am told was next door, but I didn't use it so can't comment on that. I didn't see any "so called council clients" at the hotel. And to me it just seems like a nice modernised hotel. I have already booked my next stay in September.

Room Tip: 4th floor was clean and looked new