“Excellent Service”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: GOOD HOME COOKED FOOD AT A REASONABLE PRICE. We are a small FAMILY RUN business in the heart of the Jewelry Quarter, reached by walking down a quaint tiled walkway (at the side of Paul Green's Jewelers). Once inside you will discover a hidden part of the Jewelry Quarter's history.
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I'd read reviews on here and thought I'd give it a try. shamefully I've lived in the JQ for 7 years and have not been here before. It's tucked away down a little alleyway. We were welcomed with a friendly smile and offered breakfast items not detailed on the menu.

It's a cosy wee place with an ornate counter with a selection of homemade cakes. They also do a Caribbean candlelit night, the menu looks great.

This place has a real intimate feel and the owner was friendly. The personable service, tasty food and cosy feel made for an excellent experience. I just wished I tried this place out before now.

1  Thank comfy78

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Love this place - it's completely hidden away - not surprising I didn't notice it! They serve everything from quick toasted sandwiches to Carribean food and the setup is just lovely. Home to the world's loveliest and politest waitress. Intimate, lovely and highly recommended.

1  Thank Erasmus D
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you read Tripadvisor reviews of some Birmingham restaurants, all rather expensive and minimalist in the amount of food served, you get the impression that everyone in Birmingham thinks that they should be deciding who should be awarded Michelin stars. Some Tripadvisors who visit the city's food joints seem obsessed with the subject.
Just forget it, Brummies. Just concentrate on having a good meal with good service in a place which is a little bit special. Here's one: 24 Carat Bistro. You feel like you're stepping back into a Dickensian setting. The blazing fire and completely apt decor makes the bistro wonderfully cosy. The lovely lady who serves you is so natural and friendly and helpful and charming and proud of what her little dining place is. She tells you all about what is on offer and I was interested to hear that since my last visit here the bistro has obtained a licence to sell alcohol - it sells the Black Country's very own wines, and rather good they are too, from Halfpenny Green.
My dining companion and I on settled on the splendid Caribbean dishes prepared by the lady's husband - it took a second or two to decide to have them since the local meatballs, which the English call fa something g something ts (Tripadvisor won't allow you to use the word which it deems to be offensive) were highly tempting. My companion chose the jerk chicken and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had the perfect goat curry. I haven't had much goat before, in fact I think on the only previous occasion the beast in question was an exceptionally scraggy creature which had ended up in a stewing pot in Eritrea. I was amazed at the wonderfulness of the meat - beautifully tender and the physical appearance of lamb meat but without the stronger, and less pleasant flavour of sheep meat. The curry was just the right hotness and there was a pleasant accompanying salad and generous portion of rice. It was so good I ate it quite greedily. We both thoroughly enjoyed a glass of ginger wine with our meal.
Despite being comfortably full, we both gave in to having a dish of the fabulous homemade bread and butter pudding with custard and didn't regret our gluttony.
By the end of the meal we were both very happy with our hour in the 24 Carat Bistro. The food was excellent and proved that you don't need to bother with Michelin stars to go out and have a lovely meal representing excellent value for money in a splendidly atmospheric setting served by a charming host.
I must find a reason to go to the Jewellery Quarter again soon for some more 24 carat food.

2  Thank white_knight_and_dog
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Fantastic gem. Hidden behind the shops. Well worth finding. Jamaican jerk pork and curried goat. Well recommended. Try the ginger wine brings the meal together and warms from within. Will be coming back with the kids. Lovely atmosphere with open fire. Cosy and very welcoming.

2  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I went with my mum to this amazing little cafe. Mum had the fish cakes and I had the jerk chicken. It was a match for any that I ate on Negril beach in Jamaica! Best of all it was adapted specifically for me as I am gluten free. Four drinks and two main courses came in at just under fifteen pounds and I was so full I had to undo the top button of my jeans. I will be driving from Leicester soon so that my husband can try it- superb!

1  Thank Jessnpete